ohdear
    ohdear's Avatar Become A Pro!

Do you bet better on YOUR team?

i seem to be pretty consistent when i'm picking ATS for or against my giants.

it's easy to get your head crossed up when you're rooting for your team and still have to make a pick, but nonetheless i still do well

etothep
    etothep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6826

if you bet, don't have a fav team

if you must have a fav team, don't bet on them b/c I'd say over 95% of fans aren't objective when it comes to evaluating their team

element1286
    element1286's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yep, but I could never bring myself to bet against them.

etothep
    etothep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6826

Quote Originally Posted by element1286 View Post
    Haha, the first 3 times I bet against my alma mater, they all not only covered, but won (1 in bball, 2 in fball)...finally won a bet involving them this season

MJFtheGenius
    MJFtheGenius's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1176

wa wa wa wa all i hear is "im wa wa wa im a little bitch Pittsburgh fan"

Go roll your ciggerettes fagget

and go watch your Stellers

and when they lose use your terrible towel to wipe away the tears

ChuteBoxe
    27+1 = 2011
    ChuteBoxe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 228

I'm usually better on/or against any local team, due to the fact I see them more often, both live, and on TV, I hear about them more often (post, daily news, etc..), and my friends know a lot about them since it's there fav team(s) as well.

Poker_Beast
    Poker_Beast's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17891

Rams have been nothing but $ for me!!!

Mr Handicapable
    Mr Handicapable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

Went against Indiana last week for my biggest play of the week...it was weird but felt better to get paid to watch them suck rather than to get irritated as usual!

jackpot269
    jackpot269's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8377

I almost always lose when betting on the teams i like whether i bet for or against.If i bet for my team to win its almost always a loser. I try to stay away from them!!!!!

ZBOIZ
    ZBOIZ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9739

Quote Originally Posted by ohdear View Post
    i seem to be pretty consistent when i'm picking ATS for or against my giants.

it's easy to get your head crossed up when you're rooting for your team and still have to make a pick, but nonetheless i still do well
    So do you like Giants to cover the 7 point spread?

frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

Not really, your always going to be too bias. Being a fan of a particular does give you more familiarity with how they will perform against certain teams though. I usually bet only on the total if it involves my team.

keystonekid
    keystonekid's Avatar Become A Pro!

My team is the Dallas Cowboys. I do not bet on them so I can enjoy watching the game.

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog
    VegasDave's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm 0 - 4 on the Raiders this year... Though the SD cover was complete and utter bullshit.

hakrjak
    hakrjak's Avatar Become A Pro!

My team is the Cowboys, but I've only won on them a couple of times. Seems like when I bet for them, they win but don't cover, and when I bet against them -- They blow the game out.

- Hakrjak

L2Gunz
    WHO DAT
    L2Gunz's Avatar Become A Pro!

My fav is the Saints..I know I know..but I was always told to never bet for/against the saints..Like someone said above, if I bet for them, they lose. And if I bet against them, they win. So I just try my best to enjoy a SAINTS game, which is very hard to do.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

I fade my Packers every week - have been doing so for years now. I have to say - last year was a TOUGH year for me haha... I'm detached in the betting portion while the game is going on and rarely think about where my money is. It does ease the pain when the Pack doesn't cover, though. It's harder during the week for me to deal with a Packer loss than losing money to them winning. I'm a moron for even touching their games - but I figure if I do it one time, I have to keep doing it, rather than picking my spots.

It's gotta be every week (which is dumb) or never (which is smart). I'm also tougher on the Packers as I follow them extrememly closely - making it impossible to cap them. I know TOO much and overthink situations.

ohdear
    ohdear's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ZBOIZ View Post
    So do you like Giants to cover the 7 point spread?
    the 7 point spread is a toughy but I'd have to say no.

i jumped on it when it was +9 and i knew last week's +13 for Cincy against the Giants was a steal.

as a rule of thumb, the G-men as more than 7 favorites at home are always a steal for the underdog. they don't blow out many teams (even when they should)

frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

My biggest ever mistake was not fading the Broncos in the 2006 championship game vs Pittsburg. Should of drop a dime on the steelers at +3.5. If my team wins I get to watch them in the Superbowl which is priceless, if they lose at least I get $1,000 dollars as consolation.

veto
    veto's Avatar Become A Pro!

You know Your team's strengths and weaknesses perhaps more thoroughly and in-depth than on average. You have a better grasp of "favorable" miss-matches that increase predictability. But like someone else said, maybe your analysis wont be as objective. Gotta be careful about that.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

most would say you are not a serious investor if you don't bet your home team.

as long as you bet with your head and not your heart (which alot can't do) you should have more of an edge with your home team then any other team... more indepth news coverage, more games watched ect.

i'm pretty good at this with the pirates, the team I grew up and continue to love follow and with chicago baseball teams, because i'm flooded with baseball info all day long on the cubs and sox. I'm not too good with stillers, bears, Penn St., Pitt, U of I,

If anything I fade the steelers in close matchups, as i think they get over-rated most years and always have injuries on the lines that hurt them more then the publicized skill player injuries. Plus if they lose, I have some solace in knowing at least I won some $ on them.
    Points Awarded:

BigAL gave Chi_archie 7 SBR Point(s) for this post.