Betpoints: 150

what is hedging? chasing?

what is hedging? and what is chasing?

what other terms should i noob know?

LVBOUND
    Living the DREAM!!
    LVBOUND's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 119

A noob should know to always buy the hook.....

Does a noob know what a hook is?

Lol

mtxj30
    mtxj30's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

i dont know what that means .

plz help me lol

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9752

i dont know those terms either

saints7011
    saints7011's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1898

you should probably just stick with "Dad" threads for now...

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Hedging: When you place a bet on the opposite side of one you already have to guard against the loss. For example: You played a 3 leg parlay and the first two games win. To ensure you come out with some profit, you'd place a $ amount on the opposite team of which you have as your 3rd leg. That way, no matter who wins you end up with money.

Chasing: You lose a bet, so you double down or just bet really big on your next one to try to win back your losses. Chasing is also when you've bet one team a few games in a row and they keep losing ie the Brewers. You keep upping your bet and still taking them to win because you think they'll finally hit.

The hook: That 0.5 you see attached to the line ie -3.5 instead of -3. If your team won by 3, you'd lose your bet. Buy the hook and you would win because there's no sport with half a point. You can also lose by the hook however. That's where trying to get the best line for your bet becomes really important.

I'm sure someone can come in with more scientific definitions but I hope that helps a bit.
    Points Awarded:

maxcraft gave shari91 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)
    JMobile's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26848

Example of Chasing in one game.
    Lets say you place a bet on New York Knicks spread of +5 against the Lakers. It's halftime and the score is Knicks 55 and Lakers 72. Then you know that the Knicks+5 won't win because the Lakers are up by 17 points which is way over +5 spread to cover. So during the Half time, you decide to play the 2nd half by doubling your money (like Shari said), so that you can break even for what you were about to lose on the Knicks+5 bet.
    But sometimes chasing is not a good thing because if you lose what you double up, then it's just another buried day.

chachi
    Lazy Git
    chachi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

chasing: literally what it says ... doubling up or trebling up on late bets trying to make back earlier losses or taking bets you would normally not even remotely consider trying to do so

hedging: many times, depending on the cumulative odds of the prior legs, you can back the opposite side of the last leg of a parlay for small-loss, last weekend I had 80ish points payout riding into the last leg of a parlay on Pittsburgh, and with Kentucky at +255 and the tail at odds of -160ish, was able to basically lock 95+ % or thereabouts in by backing Kentucky to balance it out.

hook: that extra 1/2 point or point to move the line away from a bullseye number, can work in your favor or can screw you

I try to use it to my advantage and been fortunate that in the past two days Ive hit two two team parlays playing both sides together: Nevada ML & BC +7.5 and Oregon +5.5 & Auburn +1
    Last edited by chachi; 01-11-11 at 12:42 AM.

talnted
    talnted's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

its basically some shit thats pretty awesome.

BRAVES1985
    BRAVES1985's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1969

you will be rich very fast if you chase

mikejamm
    mikejamm's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1321

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    Hedging: When you place a bet on the opposite side of one you already have to guard against the loss. For example: You played a 3 leg parlay and the first two games win. To ensure you come out with some profit, you'd place a $ amount on the opposite team of which you have as your 3rd leg. That way, no matter who wins you end up with money.

Chasing: You lose a bet, so you double down or just bet really big on your next one to try to win back your losses. Chasing is also when you've bet one team a few games in a row and they keep losing ie the Brewers. You keep upping your bet and still taking them to win because you think they'll finally hit.

The hook: That 0.5 you see attached to the line ie -3.5 instead of -3. If your team won by 3, you'd lose your bet. Buy the hook and you would win because there's no sport with half a point. You can also lose by the hook however. That's where trying to get the best line for your bet becomes really important.

I'm sure someone can come in with more scientific definitions but I hope that helps a bit.
    =================================
    I thought you explained it perfectly Shari! You just gotta a love smart, intelligent woman! And one that gambles too! "That's right the women are smater, that's right the women are smarter, the women are smarter, that's right, that's right!"

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

wow, shari is good for something after all,

just don't follow her picks or you'll be dead broke

SBRMAN23
    Be humble sit down
    SBRMAN23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1448

Good info thanks guys

maxcraft
    maxcraft's Avatar Become A Pro!

No. 1 Rule: Never ever chase..

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by maxcraft View Post
    No. 1 Rule: Never ever chase..
    Unless there is some hot ass runnin in front of u.

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Chasing is dangerous.

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Unless there is some hot ass runnin in front of u.
    Pathetic.

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Chasing is when you go 0-4 on nfl sunday and are in the hole for $4000 and your bookie fuking gets in his 2011 dodge viper 900 horsepower turbo boosted and fuking chases you down i-95 for 700 miles until you stop and he pops you in the ass with an screw driver or a fudgesicle till you pay.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ZetaPsi808

Fang-Banger
    Fang-Banger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 186

Quote Originally Posted by BRAVES1985 View Post
    you will be rich very fast if you chase

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_of_Spades View Post
    Chasing is dangerous.
    Wise, wise words.

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Wise, wise words.
    Wise words from a very wise guy.

jmiller11
    jmiller11's Avatar Become A Pro!

hedging is placing bets in the opposite direction so that if one of your bets loses, the other wins, thus hedging the total risk you face. However, it also reduces the total amount you can win.

chachi
    Lazy Git
    chachi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

not always jmiller ... on the last leg of a 4/5/6+ teamer unless every pick is a -500 shot the cumulative odds on the fulfilled legs against the last position's opposite can often be a good offset or small arb
    Last edited by chachi; 01-12-11 at 04:20 PM.

ZetaPsi808
    July 2011 Poster of the Month
    ZetaPsi808's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1982

Quote Originally Posted by ApricotSinner32 View Post
    Chasing is when you go 0-4 on nfl sunday and are in the hole for $4000 and your bookie fuking gets in his 2011 dodge viper 900 horsepower turbo boosted and fuking chases you down i-95 for 700 miles until you stop and he pops you in the ass with an screw driver or a fudgesicle till you pay.
    sinner classic post chimp