thealfa
    thealfa's Avatar Become A Pro!

is -2 a better bet usually compared to +12?

anyone notice or it's really unpredictable???

DukeJohn
    DukeJohn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

Well a -2 would mean the teams are pretty evenly matched, unless of course you are talking Hockey, then of course the -2 team would be heavily favored to win straight up.

As for which is the bettor bet -2 or +12. Well, that is just if you feel the line is incorrect. For instance, today's NBA game of the NY Knicks +3 vs Phoenix Suns -3. I personally believe NY will win the game outright, so for a line on Phoenix of -3, well naturally I will go with NY.

Now, if you gave me a line of Phoenix with +12, well, I believe NY will win, but not by more than 12, that's for sure.

Anyway, it is just what you believe the final outcome of the game will be, as for which line is bettor, that will all depend on you.

Best of Luck,

dlweaver
    one day at a time....
    dlweaver's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

i dont know that you can compare the two honestly

pedro803
    pedro803's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5708

I think it is just completely unpredictable, I don't think you will ever find a one factor formula that can produce value, and if one play was on average better than the other just by virtue of the one factor then it would be too easy to cap, to the extent that lines are efficient there should be no advatage by just playing any one number repeatedly

CrimsonQueen
    CrimsonQueen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1660

This would only matter if you were talking about NFL, and if you are talking about key numbers (which there are key numbers in other sports, too...but NFL has the most drastic ones).
    IE. In NFL you could say "which is better, -2.5 or +6.5...and the -2.5 would be a nicer line because if the game ends on the 3 as 10% of the NFL games played do, then you win...but the next biggest number is 7 and if you have +6.5, then when it ends on the 7...you lose. But then again, +6.5 covers the key numbers of 3, 4, and 6....so.... as long as you don't think they'll lose by a TD, then great!

Also, as already pointed out, if this was a hockey line... or baseball... +12 would be the best bet in the WORLD

DukeJohn

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonQueen View Post

Also, as already pointed out, if this was a hockey line... or baseball... +12 would be the best bet in the WORLD
    that was funny... I would love a line like that, especially in hockey.

DukeJohn

Quote Originally Posted by DukeJohn View Post
    For instance, today's NBA game of the NY Knicks +3 vs Phoenix Suns -3. I personally believe NY will win the game outright
    I hope you took that pick. NY won 121 - 96 over Phoenix

LAURIN
    LAURIN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7644

After a couple years playing these games and thinking I know what I'm doing,
    I constantly amaze myself at how stupid I can be taking lines that turn out wrong.
    When it looks like it's too good to be true, watch out.
    The guys that actually make the lines get paid incredible amounts of money because
    otherwise they would be eating up all the bad lines.
    +12 will probably turn out to be a closer spread than you think, and who do you take?
    the + team or the - team?
    Good luck, and don't quit the day job quite yet.
    Practise with some of the great weekly games they got going on here, and you'll soon
    see it ain't as easy as it looks.