theredd
    theredd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 310

Explain Line Movement?

Ive read a lot here about "following line movement" and ideas that are associated with it like "reverse line movement" . . . and Im pretty confused about how I can use these line movements to my advantage.

(At the risk of pissing people off . . . a large part of the problem is LANGUAGE. Between people using unfamiliar jargon, using a ton of acronyms, and people using horrible grammar/spelling, a large portion of the posts on this board are incoherent to those of us who are new to the industry.)

In any case, Im wondering if its possible for someone to explain line movements and what to learn from them. For instance, if Dallas starts at -4 and changes to -3, what does that mean? Im assuming it means money is heavy on whoever Dallas' opponent is, and the oddsmakers are moving the line to attract more money on Dallas. More importantly, how is this knowledge useful to me? What should I be doing (or think about doing) if a line moves?

IrishTim
    IrishTim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

That means people whom the books respect and have a lot of money, most likely from years of winning gambling, have bet Dallas' opponent.

TheThreeKings
    TheThreeKings's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 120

Reverse line movement refers to when the line moves in favor of the team that is getting the higher % of the bets. This generally means that larger bets (though fewer in quantity) are being made on the other side and is often associated with "sharp" money.

theredd
    theredd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 310

Quote Originally Posted by TheThreeKings View Post
    Reverse line movement refers to when the line moves in favor of the team that is getting the higher % of the bets. This generally means that larger bets (though fewer in quantity) are being made on the other side and is often associated with "sharp" money.
    Thanks

kiddo
    kiddo's Avatar Become A Pro!

ya but even if the line decreases say 1 point do you still bet the team whos line-odds decreased? Or you pass or something?