Nittany Lion
    Nittany Lion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 675

Can someone explain this 4 team teaser to me?

I'm a newbie and I just got into sports betting and I'm not doing any serious betting, just small stakes. I created an account on Bodog a few days ago and this weekend I did my first betting. I've been reading about all the different bets, but I do not understand the 4 team teaser bet listed below.

What I don't understand is how come my bet did not lose as soon as the Jets/Ravens game was over? I had Ravens vs. Jets at over 23 and the final score of the game added to 19 (10+9). But for whatever reason, my bet stayed open. Is it because part of my 4 team teaser bet had the Ravens at +14? If that is the case, I thought the total game score was separate from the spread amount. So are you suppose to add the spread amount to the final scores in order to find out if you predicted the game over/under correctly? So for my bet you would add the +14 to the Ravens score which would make the final outcome be Ravens 24 Jets 9, which would make the total game score 33 which is > then 23, so is this why my bet stayed open? I thought that when you bet the over/under for a game you do not factor in the spread amount.

My bet was not classified as a loss until the Chiefs/Chargers game was over and I understand that it lost because I had chargers at +7 and the final score was Chiefs 21 Chargers 14 and since my bet was categorized as a "sweetheart teaser" there cannot be a push or you automatically lose.

Code:
    4 Team Teaser
    Football - NFL Lines (Game) Point Spread
    WEEK 1
    (479) Baltimore Ravens +14 Mon@5:00p
    Teased 13.0 points

Final Scores
    Baltimore Ravens 10
    New York Jets 9

Football - NFL Lines (Game) Total
    WEEK 1
    (479) Baltimore Ravens vs. (480) New York Jets Over 23 Mon@5:00p
    Teased 13.0 points

Final Scores
    Baltimore Ravens 10
    New York Jets 9

Football - NFL Lines (Game) Point Spread
    WEEK 1
    (481) San Diego Chargers +7 Mon@8:15p
    Teased 13.0 points

Final Scores
    San Diego Chargers 14
    Kansas City Chiefs 21

Football - NFL Lines (Game) Total
    WEEK 1
    (481) San Diego Chargers vs. (482) Kansas City Chiefs Under 58 Mon@8:15p
    Teased 13.0 points

Final Scores
    San Diego Chargers 14
    Kansas City Chiefs 21

Outcome: Loss

Risk US$ 24.00 to win US$20.00
    Last edited by Nittany Lion; 09-14-10 at 02:22 AM.

dvsbmx
    dvsbmx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 966

For some reason Bodog doesn't claim the ticket to be a loss until the last game on the ticket has been played. The same exact thing happened to be this week with a teaser. I had Indy +7, which lost, and the teaser was still in "open bets" until the last game, San Diego @ Kansas, was played.

Nittany Lion

Quote Originally Posted by dvsbmx View Post
    For some reason Bodog doesn't claim the ticket to be a loss until the last game on the ticket has been played. The same exact thing happened to be this week with a teaser. I had Indy +7, which lost, and the teaser was still in "open bets" until the last game, San Diego @ Kansas, was played.

Hmmmm, my other bets lost as soon as the Jets/Ravens game was over, and so far all of my bets placed on Bodog have been decided a winner/loser as soon as whatever games I bet on are over.

So the point spread has no effect on the over/under that I mentioned in my OP?

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

teaser bets stay open until last game is complete. you shouldn't be betting these kind of bets if you don't know what you're doing. apparently you don't.

MadTiger
    Wait 'til next year!
    MadTiger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

Quote Originally Posted by unusialsusp5 View Post
    teaser bets stay open until last game is complete. you shouldn't be betting these kind of bets if you don't know what you're doing. apparently you don't.
    QFT. Sounds mean, but just like if you can't turn the little annoying paper clip man off in Word, you still need his ass around.

Nittany Lion

Quote Originally Posted by unusialsusp5 View Post

Well, you got to learn somehow. It's not like I'm risking alot of money, but I spent the last few days reading a bunch more on all the different bets, I understand everything alot better now. So far I'm ahead, I hit a 4 team parlay that paid off nicely.