megler
    megler's Avatar Become A Pro!

paying the vig

I know this is the noob question of all noobs, but I have to ask it:

when you're looking at .20 books v .10 books, why does it matter? I don't understand how commission is taken in sports betting. Why would you not just care about who has the best odds for the side you're playing?

like i said, i know it's probably the noobiest question out there, but I really don't know the answer.

thanks, guys!

DukeJohn
    DukeJohn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

Quote Originally Posted by megler View Post
    I know this is the noob question of all noobs, but I have to ask it:

when you're looking at .20 books v .10 books, why does it matter? I don't understand how commission is taken in sports betting. Why would you not just care about who has the best odds for the side you're playing?

like i said, i know it's probably the noobiest question out there, but I really don't know the answer.

thanks, guys!
    If odds are -120 at one book and -110 at another, that means you are betting $120 to win $100 versus $110 to win $100.

Now if you win 100% of the time it doesn't matter, but as you know that is not the case. If you win, say 58% of the time and placed 1000 bets trying to win $100. That would mean you won 580 of the bets and lost 420 so the following chart would apply.

at the -120 book:
    won 580 bets at $100 each = $58,000
    Lost 420 bets at $120 each = $50,400
    Profit = $7,600

at the -110 book:
    Won 580 bets at $100 each = $58,000
    Lost 420 bets at $110 each = $46,200
    Profit = $11,800

So, as you can see, betting at the -110 book was a much smarter choice.

Best of Luck,

megler

that part I understand, Duke. What I don't understand is why I care if there's a 20c spread v a 10c spread between the lines. I agree with you, I would always bet on the bet line that favors my side. I don't see why the other side of the line matters.

welsknight
    welsknight's Avatar Become A Pro!

It matters mostly for the bookie/betting site. If there's a larger spread, they make more money. Hope that helps. BOL.

DukeJohn
    DukeJohn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

that part I understand, Duke. What I don't understand is why I care if there's a 20c spread v a 10c spread between the lines. I agree with you, I would always bet on the bet line that favors my side. I don't see why the other side of the line matters.
    I may not be understanding your question, however what you mention would matter to me if I was doing some sort arbitration where I was betting both sides. However, I am not sure what you are asking sorry. If you are only betting one side, then the other side would not matter to you.

Now, of course, if you are doing some sort of algorithm that requires you to quantify the other side, then I guess it would matter in that case.

Perhaps you could give me the example of what you heard or read of someone talking about the other side having meaning.

SaviorTebow
    SaviorTebow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 829

I think the guy is saying, for example:

He like the Yankess at home vs the Red Sox...
    Book 1 has..
    BOS +125
    NYY -135

While Book 2 has
    BOS +115
    NYY -130

For him liking New York, obviously choosing Book 2 would be the better choice, despite their being a .15 cent vig as opposed to Book 1's .10 cent vig.

megler

Quote Originally Posted by SaviorTebow View Post
    I think the guy is saying, for example:

He like the Yankess at home vs the Red Sox...
    Book 1 has..
    BOS +125
    NYY -135

While Book 2 has
    BOS +115
    NYY -130

For him liking New York, obviously choosing Book 2 would be the better choice, despite their being a .15 cent vig as opposed to Book 1's .10 cent vig.
    Yes, that's correct. Book 2 has better odds, it would appear at -130. So my question is, "Why do I care about the .15 difference?"

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Yes, that's correct. Book 2 has better odds, it would appear at -130. So my question is, "Why do I care about the .15 difference?"
    You dont really per se - you care about getting the best line for your bet -

But you also favor books with 10 lines over 20 because they will usually have the better line, as all lines are fairly homogeneous over all books,
    Points Awarded:

megler gave gryfyn1 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

samhouston
    samhouston's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

the line is created to try and get an equal amount of action on both side of the bet.....so the vig is "theo" what the book makes if the action on both sides is equal

20Four7
    Timmy T = Failure
    20Four7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4120

You can keep a few bucks at the larger vig places because sometimes they issue off market lines.. I know of a few that I routinely bet at just because I can usually get more on the dog.