BunnyMan
    BunnyMan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Question about betting baseball

I am a complete noob when it comes to bases. When it says -150 or +130 what does this mean? How would one calculate this?

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

If you bet the favorite, you risk $150 to win $100.

If you bet the underdog, you risk $100 to win $130.

A line of -150/+130 is called a 20-cent line because that is the difference between the favorite and underdog price. Try and find some reduced juice lines to increase your chances or winning. (i.e., 5 Dimes has a NICKEL line overnight and a 10-cent line throughout the day)

jgilmartin
    jgilmartin's Avatar Become A Pro!

In addition to what LT said, every moneyline (-150 / +130 is an example of 'moneyline' odds) has an implied probability attached to it. When you bet on a moneyline, you are essentially saying that you think the team's chance of winning is higher than the implied probability of the price you are paying. For example:

The Yankees opened at -320, which translates to 76.19%. You would only ever bet the Yankees at -320 if you thought they had a greater than 76.19% chance of winning. SBR has a calculator here http://sbrforum.com/Betting+Tools/Odds+Converter.aspx - enter the moneyline price in the 'US Odds' box and click 'Convert'. This will give you the implied probability.

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

adding to this only bet + teams especially baseball road team +'s or you will end up with - amounts of money.

lawsofpower48
    lawsofpower48's Avatar Become A Pro!

betting baseball is EASY.... good money too, but risk is more then some other sports

IdHitThat
    IdHitThat's Avatar Become A Pro!

baseball betting is fun!
    Covers.com is a good site for information.
    BOL

warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!

Donbest.com is also a good tool for capping MLB Games and checking stats and trends.

GL to you.

stikymess
    stikymess's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 63

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyMan View Post
    I am a complete noob when it comes to bases. When it says -150 or +130 what does this mean? How would one calculate this?

Bunnyman, I a bit worried about your statement, with it I'm assuming you never bet on baseball? Not trying to change your mind but it's always best to bet what you know or follow if that makes sense. I'm assume you understand the lines? Maybe keep a log for two weeks and pick games and see how you do on paper before you start with money.

With that said there are tons of people here to help as well as the other sites mentioned. If in doubt ask questions.

Ryangene
    Ryangene's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree with Warrior Donbest.

MBlack24
    MBlack24's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hi guys i'm new to baseball betting too. What I have a question about is runlines.

If someone has a runline like +150 -1.5, I imagine this means their score is adjusted by -1.5 points at the end to see if you win the bet. So would you bet this if the chance of the team winning by at least 2 points is greater than 100/250 = 40%. Is this correct?

Also, is better to stick with moneylines when starting out, or should you consider runlines as well?

Thanks

birdmanweezy
    $$$ Fly In Any Weather $$$
    birdmanweezy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1849

Quote Originally Posted by MBlack24 View Post
    Hi guys i'm new to baseball betting too. What I have a question about is runlines.

If someone has a runline like +150 -1.5, I imagine this means their score is adjusted by -1.5 points at the end to see if you win the bet. So would you bet this if the chance of the team winning by at least 2 points is greater than 100/250 = 40%. Is this correct?

Also, is better to stick with moneylines when starting out, or should you consider runlines as well?

Thanks
    correct run lines and puck lines are the same as a spread in other sports.....for more complexity i highly recommend for baseball to play teams at -1 run...brings down a -140 ml to even money. Do this by taking the amount you would win from a money line wager and placing that same amount as the risk for the rl -1.5 wager...good luck baseball can be tough

MBlack24
    MBlack24's Avatar Become A Pro!

Alright thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind when making some phony bets for practice.

Warin West
    Have a ball
    Warin West's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

I just tried to post something about this, but cannot find it.
    As I'm typing this, 5Dimes is offering me a 20 cent line. Are you getting the same lines?

Got any comments about 5Dimes changing to a 20 cent line?

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by Warin West View Post
    I just tried to post something about this, but cannot find it.
    As I'm typing this, 5Dimes is offering me a 20 cent line. Are you getting the same lines?

Got any comments about 5Dimes changing to a 20 cent line?
    I still see dime lines as we speak?

chuckpicks298
    chuckpicks298's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1176

Good Luck with your picks