LatinPimp
    LatinPimp's Avatar Become A Pro!

Stats breakdown Question

Okay guys gals... For a while now I have been trying to figure out just how the Stats breakdown come into play when deciding on the Over/Under (Mostly what I wager on) Could someone please shine the light on me please. Thank you

Stats Breakdown RANK RANKNorthern Iowa's Overall Scoring vs Michigan State's Overall Defense63.728064.466Northern Iowa's Away Scoring vs Michigan State's Home Defense63.423163.095Northern Iowa's Road Rebounds vs Michigan State's Home Rebounds Allowed32.823432.5106Michigan State's Overall Scoring vs Northern Iowa's Overall Defense72.98555.02Michigan State's Home Scoring vs Northern Iowa's Road Defense75.310457.85Michigan State's Home Rebounds vs Northern Iowa's Road Rebounds Allowed40.53028.72

LP

Dunder
    Dunder's Avatar Become A Pro!

Raw stats like this have limited use in indicating whether each teams' offense/defense is likely to have the upper hand against the other and consequently whether a high scoring game is likely. Of course lines offered by the books (in terms of totals) is also broadly based on this data so in that sense it is very rare that you will be able to find something that you are able to bet with confidence just by studying this data.

What modelers do it is to take this type of data (in database form) and assign weightings to what they consider key information/stats (usually based on past trends) to help them find weaknesses in the lines offered by the books.