Alex Hart
    Update your status
    Alex Hart's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6432

Noob Wanting to Learn

Hello SBR Community!

I am new to the sports betting world but I have always been intrigued by the excitement and challenge sports betting can provide. I've been reading this site for a couple of days now and I've noticed that there are some very knowledgeable and experienced sports betting vets here. It looks like I have found a great place to learn.

I don't plan plan to start betting until football (NFL & CFB) season as that is the sport I feel most comfortable with betting right now. As of this time I am still not too familiar with the betting lingo and why betters will bet down points or do other betting strategies given what lines they are given. Is there a book or maybe some videos that provide a basic entry level type education on sports betting? If so I would love to know where to find it.

Anyways, thanks for having me and I look forward to interacting and contributing to this community in the future.

Thanks!

Alex

KonaZonie
    KonaZonie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7230

Welcome to the highly dysfunctional and occasionally informative SBR family! Try going to Pinnacle Sports website and click on "Betting Articles". Some good stuff for those new to sports betting.

themike78
    themike78's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10636

Do not listen to anybody. Just do what feels comfortable to you. Its very simple if you think a team is going to win than bet on them. You can not be taught how to become a good gambler. Either you know sports or you don't. Good Luck.

Alex Hart
    Update your status

I appreciate the advice guys!

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

Welcome Alex. Its a lot of fun around here especially next month. Fire away as many Qs as you can here and we will answer and point you to resources.

blackHIPPY
    THESE NIGGAS PLANKTON
    blackHIPPY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1610

straight bets only

Alex Hart
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by blackHIPPY View Post
    straight bets only
    Thanks. Are you a member of Bucknuts?

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Quote Originally Posted by themike78 View Post
    ...You can not be taught how to become a good gambler...
    This is not true at all. While natural ability is one component, know that so many bettors lose because they refuse to learn.

Don't let anyone discourage your progress, happens a lot on SBR.

Never stop learning and don't forget the rules...

Good Luck

blackHIPPY
    THESE NIGGAS PLANKTON
    blackHIPPY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1610

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hart View Post
    Thanks. Are you a member of Bucknuts?
    no nvr heard of it

Alex Hart
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by blackHIPPY View Post
    no nvr heard of it
    Ok, just thought I'd ask since a member on there is using the blackHIPPY name as well.

qwertvt
    qwertvt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Start betting small. You will probably lose early on.

Don't get caught up when posters state they laying $1000 a game. They are either experienced or lying.

Don't bet money you don't have and stop all together when you no longer are having fun.
    Last edited by qwertvt; 07-26-15 at 11:19 PM.

Isaiah
    Isaiah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6957

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hart View Post
    Hello SBR Community!

I am new to the sports betting world but I have always been intrigued by the excitement and challenge sports betting can provide. I've been reading this site for a couple of days now and I've noticed that there are some very knowledgeable and experienced sports betting vets here. It looks like I have found a great place to learn.

I don't plan plan to start betting until football (NFL & CFB) season as that is the sport I feel most comfortable with betting right now. As of this time I am still not too familiar with the betting lingo and why betters will bet down points or do other betting strategies given what lines they are given. Is there a book or maybe some videos that provide a basic entry level type education on sports betting? If so I would love to know where to find it.

Anyways, thanks for having me and I look forward to interacting and contributing to this community in the future.

Thanks!

Alex
    Do yourself a favor and don't begin. You will ultimately lose a lot of money. But more importantly you will lose an incredible amount of the most precious commodity of all - time. Not to mention the toll it will take on your family life and personal relationships. Wise up and stop before you begin, the lure of fool's gold will destroy you. Even when you win you are just borrowing the bookies money, you'll give it all back and more eventually.

I know this isn't the message you want to hear but it needs to be said. And ignore all the posers who will be attacking this post. The vast majority of posters on SBR are amateurs, degenerates, grifters and losers. But I repeat myself.
    Last edited by Isaiah; 07-26-15 at 10:54 PM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: GunShard

TheAntFather
    Enlightenment
    TheAntFather's Avatar Become A Pro!

All you have to do is smoke the best reefer and don't listen to anything baldyfuck says.

Evolved137
    Evolved137's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 110

Quote Originally Posted by TheAntFather View Post
    All you have to do is smoke the best reefer. and don't listen to anyone here says.
    ^^ quoted for truth.

brianwakc
    Update your status
    brianwakc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

I 1,000 times agree with Isaiah. Time is the biggest thing and you cant get it back. Quit now before addiction sets in