justkyle88
    justkyle88's Avatar Become A Pro!

Gone Broke Twice

Everyone has more than likely heard the story's and been involved in losing their bankroll atleast once, well it's happened to me....Twice.

I'm not here to whine and moan about it because I use to play high games of poker and deal with a lot of money so I understand bankroll management and how important it is.

I was curious how sports betting is a little different though.

What points and unit systems do people use?
    What % of their bankroll to they use on singles/doubles/trebles/accumulators/$x-$x challenges etc?
    And basically any other useful information on how to be a smarter better.

Thanks in advance.

Justin3587
    Justin3587's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 450

I guess my first step is to not think about your stats.

It's all about going with your gut I'd say. Don't over think it.

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

you probably "went broke" because your betting a large % of your bankroll. Stay away from wagering more than 4% of your bankroll unless you have a large bankroll(5 digits) then I suggest betting only 2%. Don't get accustomed to laying heavy juice. Nothing wrong with betting the occasional -190 fav on the ML however don't lay this type of juice consistently. Losing on a -500 fav will ruin your day. I personally don't bet parlays too often unless I have a good read on several games and I think I can turn a big profit.

Covy
    Covy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1430

A betting unit could be 1% of your starting BR.

1% of $100=$1.

Stick with this and pick your spots to bet more units and if you're a good bettor, you may turn out a profit. It's a slow grind, but I usually do it differently. I would start with $500 and do 2% unit sizes and mainly bet 2-5 units a game when I was new. I'm up to $100 unit sizes due to slow building successfully. There are times where you just want to ignore that and go big on a bet. Sometimes its okay if you know for sure that its a very good play, but patience is key. Patience and discipline.

justkyle88

I was using 1% of my bankroll for a unit and using 4-5% on singles, 3-4% on doubles, 2-3% trebles and 1-2% on 4-folds or more.

I mainly bet on Soccer and not to experienced so I followed other punters advice. I always seemed to catch their bad days and just lost it all over a few weeks.
    im Australian so in going to try NRL next because I know much more about it.

redking
    redking's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2734

Use a spreadsheet type of software to track your picks and bankroll. You can even get the spreadsheet to calculate how much you should be betting based on the percentage (2%, 3%, 4% etc) you're risking.

justkyle88

That's one thing I don't do, track my bets. I did for awhile at the start but I was putting a lot of bets on and couldn't be bothered to keep writing them in my phone.

LoveSosa
    LoveSosa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 311

I learned patience and wait for good lines and matchups. Also dont try and make a bimbo bet because you just lost a ton of money only to be down x2

justkyle88

Yeah I think I did make that mistake by betting on games I shouldn't.

Punchy
    Punchy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1380

im Australian so in going to try NRL next because I know much more about it.
    Here here... kicks off tomorrow

Stick to sports you have a good knowledge of and don't chase wins.... you don't have to win big every day even though there are thousands of options available (I made that mistake with tennis and half arsed 250 events). No point in plonking big money on half arsed events or events which are amateurish and of very little knowledge. I made a few mistakes like that myself

Personally I like my 50/50 markets like tennis or rugby, Aussie Rules or basketball/cricket sometimes. As much as I love football (Soccer) I don't like the draw option and the draw no bet isn't great value

justkyle88

Quote Originally Posted by Punchy View Post
    Here here... kicks off tomorrow

Stick to sports you have a good knowledge of and don't chase wins.... you don't have to win big every day even though there are thousands of options available (I made that mistake with tennis and half arsed 250 events). No point in plonking big money on half arsed events or events which are amateurish and of very little knowledge. I made a few mistakes like that myself

Personally I like my 50/50 markets like tennis or rugby, Aussie Rules or basketball/cricket sometimes. As much as I love football (Soccer) I don't like the draw option and the draw no bet isn't great value
    Yeah i totally understand where your coming from. I think I was just taking any bet available from all kinds of tippers and facebook pages and just thinking my bankroll would skyrocket because people who saying this and this was going to happen.

Jebachina
    Jebachina's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quit while you're at it. You may have lost some money already but it will only get worse if you continue the way your luck is going. Heed my advice and find a new hobby...at least for a few months till your head clears.

inrenokid
    inrenokid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

No, bet according to the advantage you have. As in the % the stated line is wrong. Never use picks unless you are in on the dope(why) they have such and such winning. And last keep enough bank to place a large one on a sure thing these bets are very profitable; some days you will be in the zone and can do no wrong make sure you have money for that. Also if you are pro, don't put yourself out of action. Because a winning bet you don't make because you are broke is a lost bet.

inrenokid

Also sports is a lot harder then poker, very few make the kind of money highstakes poker players do. But you have one advantage , you can wait for a better spot, no forced bets here. And remember the mythic 5% juice is only an average most underdogs are much more.

justkyle88

Quote Originally Posted by Jebachina View Post
    Quit while you're at it. You may have lost some money already but it will only get worse if you continue the way your luck is going. Heed my advice and find a new hobby...at least for a few months till your head clears.
    There is a lot of luck in sports betting, but I don't think it has anything to do with my luck at this given time.
    i was just making wrong bets on the wrong games and not waiting for the right game.

as for my head not being "clear", I haven't tilted anything, just not informed on things I should have been.
    slowly getting there.

justkyle88

@inrenokid,

Poker is the richest sport in the world by far, far exceeding tennis, golf, NFL etc so I'm not looking for a rich quick fix, I'm just trying to learn the game and learn what kind of games to go for and what sports to bet on.

i heard BASEBALL is the most profitable sport to bet on, but I'm really not interested and couldn't be ****** learning that game. Will be sticking to soccer and NRL for now.

definitely don't have a bank to start lumping bets and honestly don't think that's the smartest advice I've received.

im seeing the same ego as of poker players from this thread, not all repliers but some.
    If your not going to give solid advice but talk bullshit, don't bother.

Jebachina
    Jebachina's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

You are in for a rough ride my friend. Good luck!

inrenokid

If you want to challenge me you can I am sure my pocket book is bigger then yours, hu no limit, or any sports contest or prop. What you need is a shoulder to cry on, bet me anytime. And when you go broke again call me,

justkyle88

Quote Originally Posted by inrenokid View Post
    If you want to challenge me you can I am sure my pocket book is bigger then yours, hu no limit, or any sports contest or prop. What you need is a shoulder to cry on, bet me anytime. And when you go broke again call me,
    cool story bro

inrenokid

Thanks , aim to please aim to please.

Bawth
    Bawth's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by justkyle88 View Post
    @inrenokid,

Poker is the richest sport in the world by far, far exceeding tennis, golf, NFL etc so I'm not looking for a rich quick fix, I'm just trying to learn the game and learn what kind of games to go for and what sports to bet on.

i heard BASEBALL is the most profitable sport to bet on, but I'm really not interested and couldn't be ****** learning that game. Will be sticking to soccer and NRL for now.

definitely don't have a bank to start lumping bets and honestly don't think that's the smartest advice I've received.

im seeing the same ego as of poker players from this thread, not all repliers but some.
    If your not going to give solid advice but talk bullshit, don't bother.
    Im pretty sure that baseball is one of the hardest sports to bet on. Line are very sharp

inrenokid

Baseball seems easy to me , but soccer is very easy also. The play in EPL is so very consistent, which is a must, take NHL that is so up and down, etc.