Thefunkiehippie
    Thefunkiehippie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 558

My local bookie

I had a question for all you guys that place bets with local bookies. I am fairly new to this and have found a guy through the local watering hole to take my bets. He is this old guy and sends me lines for whatever about a hour before the games that I ask for. I then send him my picks. BUT right before game time, I may get a feeling or read public sentiment and either up a bet or withdrawal a bet. In the local bookie industry, is this allowed? he is telling me that it is not allowed and that once a bet is in, it is in. But, If my wife tells me that I have to go out wiht her on Sunday and i put in 4 bets on Football and I am not going to watch the games, I cant withdrawal it. OR if i want to increase it my bet from 50 to 100 on a team, he sends me a new line and tells me the line moved. he doesn't send the bets anywhere because i am small, so that is not the issue. also, he tells me that I am his only client right now and he is trying to get out of the biz, so i know money is not moving his line. his lines move on air based on Vegas trends and he tells me that if i want to increase a bet from a line bet on 1 hour before, i need to request a new line. should i get a new bookie or is this guy right in moving his lines around on me on air in the 60 minutes between line and kickoff.

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3229

Withdrawing wagers is not something a bookie will want to do on a regular basis. He might make an exception, but do not expect on the regular. And if you see a line moving and want to increase your bet, most likely his line has moved as well if he's in touch with his business. Where I would be concerned is if it seems he is shading favs/dogs based on your betting patterns. Knew some people who used to book and they would add points to the favorite because one of their particular customers was a big Favorite player. GL.

delldog
    dogs day today
    delldog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1523

True.

James D
    James D's Avatar Become A Pro!

Funk,

Betting lines move at any moment, so a line now is not guaranteed in 30 seconds, never mind 30 minutes. Also once a sports bet is made the line is locked in and does not change. Your bookie is telling you the truth.

The rest of his story about "trying to get out of the business and you are his only client" sounds like total BS. It sounds like he is just another gambler and takes your bets so he gets an edge in juice and to be candid it is obvious just by your post that you are not a long term or savvy gambler. He just assumes he can make some money off you. That does not mean he is shady or anything in respect to paying, I just dont buy his story. Good luck and be a little careful.

TheBlum
    TheBlum's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 71

Sounds a little shady ... i'd seek another guy with more "clients"

thesmartmoney
    thesmartmoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 450

In my opinion, I think he doesnt want to deal with you anymore. I have dealt with numerous locals over the years and they all will not take a bet back once its placed. Sometimes I mistakenly place a bet and have to take the other side and lose the juice just because my local wont cancel the bet. My advice to you is get another local who is hooked up with an internet site. This way you can track what youre putting in and keep track of your plays

sillybill33x
    sillybill33x's Avatar Become A Pro!

Send me your email I might no someone.

Hustler11
    Hustler11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 798

This is a shady thread altogether.