tdforte22
    FSU
    tdforte22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Newb Bankroll Management

I'm not quite a high roller like alot of guys around here. I basically do this for recreation and this is my form of putting a couple bucks in daily to attempt to "win the lottery"

That said.. I've got a starting bankroll of $100 (I have more to spare, but this seemed like a good starting spot)

Most people say to bet no more then 1-2 percent of your BR per bet. With such a small BR I find that hard to live by.. Heck I could go 51 percent five months from now and only be sitting at $110 bucks.

What would you say would be a logical bet for my situation -- Five dollars a play is what I've been going with

Any advice would be appreciated

ODDmaster
    @In God We Trust
    ODDmaster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

3-5% Is perfectly working for me.

mcduggly
    mcduggly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2401

I started with $100 as well and just used my own system. I was making $20 bets and am now at over $800 after starting about 2 months ago.

135steward
    135steward's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 565

As a recreational gambler, I look to do two things: feel the rush and not sweat the losses. If you're betting $1, you probably don't care about winning or losing, so why bother? If you bet $100, you should keep more than $100 on hand, because you won't be able to bet again after a single loss. So, you budget for gas, food, rent/mortgage, etc., right? So budget for recreational gambling.

A couple of rules of thumb: as a recreational gambler, you'll lose about $5 on average (betting straight ATS, o/u, or ML) for every $100 bet. BUT your win/loss ratio can be several times that, so maintain outside cash flow in your budget until your "luck" changes. Enough to cover (sorry, I have to get mathy here) about 3x the square route of the number of bets you place, or enough to cover about 10 consecutive losses, whichever is greater.

And if you're still reading, one more word of advice or two: If your losses exceed the numbers you budgeted, take a break. This is for fun, right? If you overextend, it ain't fun any more.

Now, brace yourself. The Kelly crowd may stop by with formulas with Greek letters in them.

mcduggly

Quote Originally Posted by 135steward View Post
    As a recreational gambler, I look to do two things: feel the rush and not sweat the losses. If you're betting $1, you probably don't care about winning or losing, so why bother? If you bet $100, you should keep more than $100 on hand, because you won't be able to bet again after a single loss. So, you budget for gas, food, rent/mortgage, etc., right? So budget for recreational gambling.

A couple of rules of thumb: as a recreational gambler, you'll lose about $5 on average (betting straight ATS, o/u, or ML) for every $100 bet. BUT your win/loss ratio can be several times that, so maintain outside cash flow in your budget until your "luck" changes. Enough to cover (sorry, I have to get mathy here) about 3x the square route of the number of bets you place, or enough to cover about 10 consecutive losses, whichever is greater.

And if you're still reading, one more word of advice or two: If your losses exceed the numbers you budgeted, take a break. This is for fun, right? If you overextend, it ain't fun any more.

Now, brace yourself. The Kelly crowd may stop by with formulas with Greek letters in them.
    Hey Steward, just wondering, where did you get the, "about 3x the square route of the number of bets you place, or enough to cover about 10 consecutive losses, whichever is greater."?

135steward
    135steward's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 565

you'll be sorry you asked

Quote Originally Posted by mcduggly View Post
    Hey Steward, just wondering, where did you get the, "about 3x the square route of the number of bets you place, or enough to cover about 10 consecutive losses, whichever is greater."?

The square route thing goes to variance and standard deviation. De Moivre's (I'm sure I screwed up the spelling) theorem shows that a gambler's bankroll varies with the square route of the number of bets he places. E.g., 100 bets at one unit each means he should be prepared to be up or down 10. Allowing for 3x that number (3 standard deviations) means you'll be ok about 99% of the time.

The 10 consecutive losses may happen once in 2^10 = 1000 bets. These are roughed out numbers. But figure if you only placed one bet/day, that's maybe 10,000 bets over 30 years, so you'll see a lot of wierd shit over that time.

jgilmartin
    jgilmartin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Kelly crowd has arrived! In all seriousness, though, I wouldn't recommend Kelly to a beginner, especially when they are just in it for a bit of fun and not really expecting to win anything. OP, I was like you when I started and I think I was betting 5% as I, too, had a very small bankroll and could afford to lose all of it without hurting my lifestyle.

mcduggly

The square route thing goes to variance and standard deviation. De Moivre's (I'm sure I screwed up the spelling) theorem shows that a gambler's bankroll varies with the square route of the number of bets he places. E.g., 100 bets at one unit each means he should be prepared to be up or down 10. Allowing for 3x that number (3 standard deviations) means you'll be ok about 99% of the time.

The 10 consecutive losses may happen once in 2^10 = 1000 bets. These are roughed out numbers. But figure if you only placed one bet/day, that's maybe 10,000 bets over 30 years, so you'll see a lot of wierd shit over that time.

Thanks!

MickeyD
    MickeyD's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thats was a nice read, my personal opinion is the smaller the bankroll, bigger bets.. I'm no talking 50% of bankroll, but 5-7%, depending on how well u know the sport etc. Oh, and great great factor is, is this the bankroll you're comfy with? i mean, if 100% is alot to you i'd suggest betting between 3-5%, coz you're aiming for a bigger bankroll. If you want to do it completely right than bet 1-3% imo

jumpsquat
    ako ko naidje jebiga...
    jumpsquat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 135

I have been there, and i completely agree with MickeyD. At such low bankroll, your first goal is to build a bigger bankroll, therefore, i'd suggest betting 5-10 percent at max at start.
    But, if you don't want to rush, i suggest you keep it at 5% max, you are new to this and first you need to "learn" what are good information, what are not, what to be aware etc. I suggest doing that for at least 3-4 months, track your stats, see your advantages, see what you are not good at. Consider it as a "voulonteering work", in order to get a better "job".