cardjunkie
    cardjunkie's Avatar Become A Pro!

Places that sell picks...

I'm surprised that people are willing to pay for picks.. To me it seems a lot like a book about how to sell a book for $50. If someone truly has good picks, wouldn't they stand to profit more by placing their own bets? Sure, some of them have winning records over a long period of time, but if you have a pool of 10000 handicappers, none of which are good, by pure chance some of them will be winners long term.

If it was so easy to make money just by buying picks online then placing bets then everybody would be doing it.

FWIW, I'm currently working with some people who handicap. I don't pay them for picks, they pay me to place bets for them. The last thing they're interested in is collecting a fee for picks, because they know they're going to win at the end of the season so they'd rather take the action for themself.

frankthetank
    frankthetank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 103

handicapping and betting are two different worlds. one person may be good at picking games but doesnt havent the means and/or desire to wager his own money and try to make a living. Then some guy who has plenty of dough and wants to risk it but cannot pick a winner to save his life comes along and pays that guy for his selections. There are many handicappers that do well picking games and does not necessarily mean that they want to bet those games.

frankthetank

and even if you area capper that is doing well by betting your own picks why not sell them as well and make even more bucks?
    Points Awarded:

LOCKNESSMONSTER gave frankthetank 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

andywend
    andywend's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank View Post
    handicapping and betting are two different worlds. one person may be good at picking games but doesnt havent the means and/or desire to wager his own money and try to make a living. Then some guy who has plenty of dough and wants to risk it but cannot pick a winner to save his life comes along and pays that guy for his selections. There are many handicappers that do well picking games and does not necessarily mean that they want to bet those games.
    This entire post makes no sense.

Paying hard earned money for a handicappers picks is absolutely INSANE. You don't see Billy Walters hustling people out of their money for his selections.

We all know how unscrupulous Brandon Lang is and he is the poster child of why its crazy to pay for other peoples advice when it comes to betting on sports or in the stock market. If you can't make money on your own, nobody else is going to do it for you.

frankthetank

there are good honest sports handicappers out there. You just have to know who they are. If you like to bet, but are a mush, you may want to pay someone with a proven track record for winning picks. How does that not make sense?

andywend
    andywend's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank View Post
    there are good honest sports handicappers out there. You just have to know who they are. If you like to bet, but are a mush, you may want to pay someone with a proven track record for winning picks. How does that not make sense?
    Whether it be sports handicappers or stock financial advisors, when you risk your money at the direction of someone else, it rarely if ever ends well.

Its also important to remember that when paying for a handicappers picks, you have to beat the juice (win rate of 52.5% required to break even) and you have to cover the costs of the handicapping service.

The only handicapping service I could possibly recommend is RAS (Right Angle Sports) and in order for it to work out properly, you have to be sitting in front of your computer all day and wait for them to release their picks and then get down on them immediately so its not really your normal tout service. As soon as RAS releases its lines, they move significantly within minutes after release.

I agree that you have to be a "mush" to use a handicapping service and how often do things work out well for a "mush", LOL?

frankthetank

If you follow a handicapping service that stresses discipline and money management and they are 55% or better lifetime then you can make money. people have been doing it for decades. Problem is the bettors rarley follow the money management or the discipline and start betting their own mush plays. Paying a successful handicapper is no different than having access to a guys picks that wins more than he loses. A real handicapper will provide you with a track record of his picks and shows you that he wins more than he loses. And even if he wins only 52% of the time, breaking even is alot better than losing. Fact: there are people that consistsently win at sports betting. Fact: If you bet the same as them you can win too. Fact: Some of these guys are also professional handicappers and sell their picks.

qwertvt
    qwertvt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Part of the fun of sports betting is handicapping your own games. When I first joined this forum, I looked for the free picks. I lost more than I won. Spend some time in the forums, do some research and you will be better off. Learn from your own mistakes and watch your bankroll and you should be alright. This approach worked for me. Also, take advantage of the SBR contests.

Cutler'sThumb
    Update your status
    Cutler'sThumb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2862

There are way more scammers out there with great sales/marketing than there are legit cappers. If I was a really good capper playing my picks, I don't suppose I'd mind selling them for some steady side cash and a hedge against any prolonged losing streaks (inevitable). If I was really good, however, (like consistent 57%+, with $1000 units) why bother.

Cutler'sThumb
    Update your status
    Cutler'sThumb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2862

Or if I was a do-gooder, I'd come on SBR and post them for free .

Oxape
    Oxape's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good points, have you ever considered that the tipster just wants to be a name out there?, A good tipster could put on his own bets, then release them to whoever, free or otherwise. From the tipsters point of view he would get cash from his own bets, cash from the tipping service, and a name for himself...we all win..