Brewers7,

....damn
    +1.

BigDaddy777
    BigDaddy777's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 428

Nice work...

PS Hey,

How do I get a hold of one of these guys who does data scraping?
    My post count isn't at "PM-level' yet and I don't want to make a bunch of dumbAZZ posts just to get it there.

Thanks!

Tommy Karate
    Update your status
    Tommy Karate's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12940

Quote Originally Posted by brewers7 View Post
    This is a basic example, yes...There are obviously many more levels involved for each team in every game...Many, many more...

I'll give you one that applies to tonight's Spurs/Pistons game in the NBA...

The "New Coach's first game angle"...

Now I may have missed one somewhere (I hope not), but over the last 3 NBA and NFL seasons, when a new coach takes over their first game in the middle of the season, their teams have gone 11-2 ATS in those 2 sports combined...It was 11-1 until the Houston Texans lost this past December 15th after Gary Kubiak was fired the day after a THUR night game...But the Texans were such a mess that I didn't even touch that game despite the angle/trend...So many injuries...The other Not Cover was also another unique situation where Mike Brown of the Lakers was fired 2 Novembers ago after the Lakers started 1-4, but new Coach Mike D'Antoni was recovering from knee surgery and couldn't take the sidelines until 4 games later and the Lakers DID WIN that game for D'Antoni at Home, but they they didn't cover the 6.5 point spread as they won by 5...

People may remember when Romeo Crenell took over as Chiefs head coach in December of 2011 (12/18/11) and as 13-point dogs, they beat the undefeated Packers straight up, ending their 19-game winning streak and ending their perfect season that year...The last NBA coach to be fired midseason was Alvin Gentry, who was fired last January, and the Suns won their next game by 10 as 3-point dogs...I don't think anybody else got fired after him until a bunch of coaches got fired after the season ended...

I would also argue you can add 4 more games from 2012 in the NFL to this tally from the past 3 years where teams rose up to win games...

When Chuck Pagano took a 12-week leave of absence in September of 2012, the Colts won their first game that Bruce Arians filled in for him as head coach, 30-27 over the Packers as 6-point dogs after being down 18 at halftime of that game...And when Pagano returned later in the season on DEC 30 as 6.5 dogs, they won outright by 12 over the Texans...Also that season, when Jerry Brown of the Cowboys died in a car accident, Dallas won their next game outright at Cincinnati as a 3.5 point underdog...And when Jovan Belcher of the Chiefs committed suicide after killing his girlfriend, the Chiefs won their next game outright against Carolina as 5.5 Dogs...

If you count these 4 games, that's another 4-0 to this angle where "teams rise up" for a new coach (or those 2 Chuck-Strong examples) or for a fallen teammate who died or was killed within days of an upcoming game...

So Maurice Cheeks was fired by the Pistons yesterday so one of my many, many, many situational trends states that "you take the team whose coach just got fired to win their first game for their new coach"...I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I believe this trend/angle/situational spot is either 8-1 or 7-1 ATS the last 8 or 9 instances in the NBA...So the Pistons would be the play tonight...

These recent percentages with this angle do NOT guarantee a win by the Pistons...No situational trend is full-proof or "guaranteed"...

But obviously I will be looking very strongly at a play on the Pistons tonight as I have been on every one of these situations the last 3 NBA and NFL seasons I mentioned EXCEPT the Texans (because of the plethora of injuries they had), so that is about 15-1 the last 16 plays I made on this situation if you count the NFL games the past 3 seasons...

I will admit I am going to play the Pistons tonight...So if I lose this game, ok, well, I go to 15-2 the last 17 times I played this trend...If people seeing this post decide to play the Pistons tonight and lose, they will be 0-1 following this angle and will get p*ssed and call this style of capping "junk science" or some other names...

I am just passing on one small example of situational handicapping as I do track coaching changes in my database...
    fantastic info....im all about the situational angles as well. wish i had gone much bigger on det, but i was looking for info on how the players felt about him.

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

This is a basic example, yes...There are obviously many more levels involved for each team in every game...Many, many more...

Now I may have missed one somewhere (I hope not), but over the last 3 NBA and NFL seasons, when a new coach takes over their first game in the middle of the season, their teams have gone 11-2 ATS in those 2 sports combined...It was 11-1 until the Houston Texans lost this past December 15th after Gary Kubiak was fired the day after a THUR night game...But the Texans were such a mess that I didn't even touch that game despite the angle/trend...So many injuries...The other Not Cover was also another unique situation where Mike Brown of the Lakers was fired 2 Novembers ago after the Lakers started 1-4, but new Coach Mike D'Antoni was recovering from knee surgery and couldn't take the sidelines until 4 games later and the Lakers DID WIN that game for D'Antoni at Home, but they they didn't cover the 6.5 point spread as they won by 5...

People may remember when Romeo Crenell took over as Chiefs head coach in December of 2011 (12/18/11) and as 13-point dogs, they beat the undefeated Packers straight up, ending their 19-game winning streak and ending their perfect season that year...The last NBA coach to be fired midseason was Alvin Gentry, who was fired last January, and the Suns won their next game by 10 as 3-point dogs...I don't think anybody else got fired after him until a bunch of coaches got fired after the season ended...

I would also argue you can add 4 more games from 2012 in the NFL to this tally from the past 3 years where teams rose up to win games...

When Chuck Pagano took a 12-week leave of absence in September of 2012, the Colts won their first game that Bruce Arians filled in for him as head coach, 30-27 over the Packers as 6-point dogs after being down 18 at halftime of that game...And when Pagano returned later in the season on DEC 30 as 6.5 dogs, they won outright by 12 over the Texans...Also that season, when Jerry Brown of the Cowboys died in a car accident, Dallas won their next game outright at Cincinnati as a 3.5 point underdog...And when Jovan Belcher of the Chiefs committed suicide after killing his girlfriend, the Chiefs won their next game outright against Carolina as 5.5 Dogs...

If you count these 4 games, that's another 4-0 to this angle where "teams rise up" for a new coach (or those 2 Chuck-Strong examples) or for a fallen teammate who died or was killed within days of an upcoming game...

So Maurice Cheeks was fired by the Pistons yesterday so one of my many, many, many situational trends states that "you take the team whose coach just got fired to win their first game for their new coach"...I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I believe this trend/angle/situational spot is either 8-1 or 7-1 ATS the last 8 or 9 instances in the NBA...So the Pistons would be the play tonight...

These recent percentages with this angle do NOT guarantee a win by the Pistons...No situational trend is full-proof or "guaranteed"...

But obviously I will be looking very strongly at a play on the Pistons tonight as I have been on every one of these situations the last 3 NBA and NFL seasons I mentioned EXCEPT the Texans (because of the plethora of injuries they had), so that is about 15-1 the last 16 plays I made on this situation if you count the NFL games the past 3 seasons...

I will admit I am going to play the Pistons tonight...So if I lose this game, ok, well, I go to 15-2 the last 17 times I played this trend...If people seeing this post decide to play the Pistons tonight and lose, they will be 0-1 following this angle and will get p*ssed and call this style of capping "junk science" or some other names...

I am just passing on one small example of situational handicapping as I do track coaching changes in my database...
    interesting post

BigDaddy777

Brewers, You recently PM'd me the following - "You can hire (data scrapers) online at various sites..."

Thanks for your note. (I'm responding here, because I don't have enough posts yet to respond to even received PM's!)

I am aware of these types of sites and, in fact, currently have a project posting for a data scraper. So far however, I have not been tremendously impressed with the responses received.

Also, I'm mainly interested in scraping just the historic data from scoresandodds and then dumping it into a user-friendly, easily searchable interface.

So, it's basically a one time scrape. I was thinking maybe someone here had already done this thus obviating the necessity of re-inventing the wheel...
    Last edited by BigDaddy777; 02-18-14 at 01:47 PM.

EXhoosier10
    EXhoosier10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4390

Last edited by EXhoosier10; 02-18-14 at 04:18 PM.

brewers7
    brewers7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4441

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy777 View Post
    Brewers, You recently PM'd me the following - "You can hire (data scrapers) online at various sites..."

Thanks for your note. (I'm responding here, because I don't have enough posts yet to respond to even received PM's!)

I am aware of these types of sites and, in fact, currently have a project posting for a data scraper. So far however, I have not been tremendously impressed with the responses received.

Also, I'm mainly interested in scraping just the historic data from scoresandodds and then dumping it into a user-friendly, easily searchable interface.

So, it's basically a one time scrape. I was thinking maybe someone here had already done this thus obviating the necessity of re-inventing the wheel...

I do sell pieces of my database and depending on what you are looking for, I am cheaper than most scrapers anyway...

What exactly are you looking to scrape off scoresandodds?...

BigDaddy777

"What exactly are you looking to scrape off scoresandodds?"

All the historic data listed - lines, totals, games, box scores going back to Jan 2007. Plus, the box scores for games they don't have (many of their box score links are incomplete) which would have to be integrated into the dB from a different site. Don't need any of the ancillary stuff on the scoresandodds site like trends, props, picks etc.

Maybe PM me how you think you can help?
    Last edited by BigDaddy777; 02-24-14 at 03:02 AM.

JoJo5473
    JoJo5473's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3046

I just read this thread this brewers7 dude is serious, and I guess nobody expected the pistons to beat the spurs after firing their coach.

JoJo5473
    JoJo5473's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3046

I do sell pieces of my database and depending on what you are looking for, I am cheaper than most scrapers anyway...

What exactly are you looking to scrape off scoresandodds?...
    Dude the work you have done together with your analysis is pretty impressive. you should start your own thread, and 67 posts since 06, I always thought I should post more often...

brewers7

It happened again:

In the NHL, Dallas Stars' player Rich Peverley collapses on the bench Monday after exiting the ice in what the team is calling a "cardiac event", but obviously his heart may have stopped due to his irregular heart beat history as they used a defibrillator to "shock his heart back into rhythm" and he was taken to the hospital and the game was postponed 6 minutes into the 1st period...

The Stars then go to St. Louis Tuesday night and win 3-2 in overtime as a +185 moneyline dog...

So another example of a team rising up to win in a unique situation (see my post earlier in this thread about situational handicapping)...

chrismunney
    chrismunney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 192

Great job brew7

chrismunney
    chrismunney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 192

It happened again:

In the NHL, Dallas Stars' player Rich Peverley collapses on the bench Monday after exiting the ice in what the team is calling a "cardiac event", but obviously his heart may have stopped due to his irregular heart beat history as they used a defibrillator to "shock his heart back into rhythm" and he was taken to the hospital and the game was postponed 6 minutes into the 1st period...

The Stars then go to St. Louis Tuesday night and win 3-2 in overtime as a +185 moneyline dog...

So another example of a team rising up to win in a unique situation (see my post earlier in this thread about situational handicapping)...
    Where do you gather your data on whether or not the team covers the 1H 1Q 2Q 2H 3Q 4Q line?

klamsal
    klamsal's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

I am interested in paying for your dataset

I tried to send you a PM but your mailbox is full...

I do have NBA lines back to 1981-82 is the short answer...
    Please pm me.

RRed8925
    RRed8925's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 49

IFL

killthebook
    killthebook's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 188

Getting my posts up

killthebook

Need 40 posts before sending pm? Wtf?

killthebook

Almost there

killthebook

4 more...

killthebook

Sry for spam

killthebook

Hope everyone has a good day today

killthebook

Make some money

killthebook

And kill the book

brewers7

I get quarter lines from 5Dimes or TheGreek...

Quote Originally Posted by chrismunney View Post
    Where do you gather your data on whether or not the team covers the 1H 1Q 2Q 2H 3Q 4Q line?

brewers7

Everyone knows about the New-Coach angle in the NFL & NBA, as I have talked about it for years, including on the post below, which is quoted...

Practically a Perfect Storm of factors coming together here...

The Miami Dolphins will be playing their first game for their new coach Dan Campbell, who replaced Joe Philbin early last week after the Dolphins fell to 1-3 with their 3rd straight loss, a 27-14 loss to the Jets two Sundays ago...

The ESPN talking heads were saying during NFL Live as they reviewed film of the 41-14 loss to the Bills in Week 3, saying the film clearly shows a lack of effort from the players, insinuating they have tuned out their head coach...He was fired a week later after losing to the Jets...These same ESPN talking heads also said that Coach Campbell will command their respect...

Miami is coming off a bye week...2 weeks to prepare under Coach Campbell...

They are playing the Tennessee Titans and are a Dog, although they may not be a Dog by game time...

I don't bet too many NFL games straight up as I like teasers, but I could not ask for a better spot here...

The Dolphins are hungry, trying to end a 3-game losing streak and they have a chance to jump-start their season and try to salvage it now as they basically get to hit the reset button with a new coach, so they will be playing their asses off against another 1-3 team with a Rookie QB...

Once again I must state, just because this angle has been UNREAL in recent years in the NFL & NBA, football can be a crazy game with a lot of crazy bounces so Nothing is guaranteed...All I am saying is that this is a Great spot for a Miami Dolphins win this Sunday and cover what will probably be a small line around 1 or 2 as I think they may be favored by 1 or 2 by game time even though they opened as 2.5 Dogs and are still a Dog now, although the line is moving against Miami...

First 12