The Madcap
    The world meets nobody halfway.
    The Madcap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 460

Has the ACC redeemed itself as one of the best conferences in basketball?

Only 4 teams from the ACC made the tournament. 3 of those teams are now in the Sweet 16. The most teams of any conference. The ACC's record in the tournament thus far is 7-1.

The SEC received 5 bids. 2 made the Sweet 16 (UK/FLA). Conference Record thus far: 4-3

The Pac-10 received 3 bids. 1 made the Sweet 16: Arizona. Conference Record thus far: 4-2

The Big Ten received 7 bids, only 2 (Ohio State/Wisconsin) are left. Conference record in the tournament so far: 7-5.

The Big 12 recieved 5 bids, only 1 team (Kansas) made the Sweet 16. Conference record: 4-4 (And those 3 of those wins came against teams seeded 12, 13, and 16.)

And then there is the The Big East. Got 11 total bids. Only 2 (UCONN/Marquette) made the Sweet 16. Conference record in the tournament so far: 7-7. (Not including the games played against each other IE: Cincy v UCONN, Marquette v 'Cuse.) Of the 7 wins, 6 came against teams seeded 11, 12, 13, 14, 14, and 16. Amongst their losses they have had:

a #1 seed lose to an 8 seed (Pitt)
    a #2 seed lose to a 10 seed (ND)
    a #4 seed lose to a 13 seed (L'ville)
    and two #6 seeds lose to 11 seeds (GTown/St. John's)

I think it's safe to say the Big East is royally overrated.

But how about the ACC? What more must they do to reclaim their status as the best conference in basketball?

TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

Clemson got stomped by West Virginia

Duke hasn't played anybody yet and still almost lost to Michigan

UNC has played NOBODY and looked like horse shit

Florida State is a solid team if they get a team like ND to play

valaub04
    valaub04's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 171

when did they drop??

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Quote Originally Posted by valaub04 View Post
    when did they drop??
    When Wake Forest's talent level jumped off a cliff

Brian891
    Brian891's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3624

In order to return to top conference status, a lot more of their teams have to be tough outs. half the acc is garbage right now. its top heavy. duke and unc are fine, but maryland, wake, and at least one other team have to return to top level basketball.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on

Quote Originally Posted by TPowell View Post
    UNC has played NOBODY
    Both of those statements are unarguably ridiculous.

Michigan has played every team on their schedule tough.

Washington(UNC's opponent) was the PAC tourny champion.

cmendo2005
    cmendo2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 512

Flordia state? Come on, Acc is always one of the top confereces because they are always the best tournament teams no matter what happens in the regular season
    Points Awarded:

xX Das Boot Xx gave cmendo2005 4 SBR Point(s) for this post.

xX Das Boot Xx gave cmendo2005 8 SBR Point(s) for this post.

The Madcap

Clemson got stomped by West Virginia

UNC has played NOBODY and looked like horse shit

Florida State is a solid team if they get a team like ND to play
    What in the hell are you talking about?

How does Clemson get "stomped" by West Virginia when it was a one possession game with less than 2 minutes to play?

Either Duke stomped Michigan and West Virginia stomped Clemson, or Clemson almost won and Michigan almost won. Can't have it both ways. Are you being a dipshit on purpose or are you really just this stupid?

Fact is Clemson almost won that game, and they were playing their 4th game in 7 days! They just ran out of gas in the second half. That's what happens when you're playing your 4th game in 7 days and your opponent is playing their first game in a week.

And whatever you want to say about Duke/UNC's wins, they sure didn't lose to Morehead State, or get blown out by VCU and Gonzaga.

TPowell

Washington is garbage, yeah they have talent but anybody with similar talent will clean their clocks because they play STUPID basketball.

Michigan is a nice team and all, I put my foot in my mouth there looking back

TPowell

Quote Originally Posted by The Madcap View Post
    What in the hell are you talking about?

How does Clemson get "stomped" by West Virginia when it was a one possession game with less than 2 minutes to play?

Either Duke stomped Michigan and West Virginia stomped Clemson, or Clemson almost won and Michigan almost won. Can't have it both ways. Are you being a dipshit on purpose or are you really just this stupid?

Fact is Clemson almost won that game, and they were playing their 4th game in 7 days! They just ran out of gas in the second half. That's what happens when you're playing your 4th game in 7 days and your opponent is playing their first game in a week.

And whatever you want to say about Duke/UNC's wins, they sure didn't lose to Morehead State, or get blown out by VCU and Gonzaga.

difference between Morehead State game and Duke's win against Michigan was microscopic. Morehead isn't Michigan but still, something to think about

Jive
    Jive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 142

Clemson got stomped by West Virginia Duke hasn't played anybody yet and still almost lost to Michigan UNC has played NOBODY and looked like horse shit Florida State is a solid team if they get a team like ND to play
    Amazes me how someone who apparently has a reputation for being rather smart can make a completely nonsensical statement like that. There is absolutely nothing in this quote that is remotely close to the realm of reality.

TPowell

Quote Originally Posted by Jive View Post
    Amazes me how someone who apparently has a reputation for being rather smart can make a completely nonsensical statement like that. There is absolutely nothing in this quote that is remotely close to the realm of reality.
    Will address this since you did make a half assed nice comment

1. Clemson ran out of gas when it mattered and West Virginia ended up winning and covering when it mattered

2. I already RECANTED and said I made an error calling Michigan "not anybody"

3. UNC has played two very stupid teams and have been pushed to a certain degree by both, even though they eventually ran away from LIU.

4. Florida State can't beat teams that can match up athletically with them, they dominate less athletic teams for the most part (ie ND and A&M)

The Madcap

Quote Originally Posted by Brian891 View Post
    In order to return to top conference status, a lot more of their teams have to be tough outs. half the acc is garbage right now. its top heavy. duke and unc are fine, but maryland, wake, and at least one other team have to return to top level basketball.
    I guarantee you if VTech or Maryland had gotten into the tourney they would have been a tough out.

Yes, Wake/GTech/NCSU/UVA have slipped. But you can't tell me they are any worse than Depaul/Rutgers/SFLA/Providence right now. Or Iowa/Indiana/Northwestern. Or Iowa State, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma. Or Auburn/LSU/South Carolina. Or Oregon State, Arizona State, and Stanford.

All the conferences have some bad teams. I don't think you could rate the ACC behind the SEC or Pac-10 at this point. And I'd say based on what occurred this weekend, the Big-12 and Big Ten are more top heavy than the ACC. Which leaves The Big East. And they are basically two conferences. You take out the success of their former CUSA teams (Cincy, Marquette, L'ville) and while still a solid conference, they aren't as formidable as you'd think.

UCONN, Pitt, Syracuse, GTown, WVU, ND, and St. John's are all good. And Nova ain't terrible. But, how can you claim to be the best conference without one elite team? If UCONN and Marquette don't put up a showing next weekend, how can it be the best conference without one team in the Final Four?

But I guess that's why they play the games. UNC plays Marquette, and Duke might have to face UCONN. So it looks like we might be able to see this settled on the court.

TPowell

Marquette will curb stomp UNC...... you heard it here first

Obviously the bottom of the ACC isn't worse than the bottom of the Big East (subtract Providence), Pac 10, SEC, or Big 12.

The Madcap

difference between Morehead State game and Duke's win against Michigan was microscopic. Morehead isn't Michigan but still, something to think about
    Yeah, it's something to think about. But not for the sake of this discussion, which is about conference status. Duke won the national championship last year. They were ranked #1 much of this season. They don't need to prove anything. We know where they stand.

Fact is the Big East only has two teams left in this tournament out of 11. They have lost to the likes of Morehead State, VCU, George Mason, Butler, and Gonzaga. Noticing a pattern here?

Meanwhile, 3 of 4 ACC teams are still alive. And the lone loss came to top-25 West Virginia. But again, that loss came from a Clemson team that gave them everything they could handle, while playing their 4th game in a week, while WVU was playing their first game in a week. And so while the Big East might be able to put that one limp feather in their cap, the ACC and FSU just pulled Notre Dame/the Big East's pants down even further.

Will address this since you did make a half assed nice comment 1. Clemson ran out of gas when it mattered and West Virginia ended up winning and covering when it mattered
    Again, no shit. You think Clemson loses that game if they hadn't had to play UAB two days prior?

The Madcap

Marquette will curb stomp UNC...... you heard it here first

Obviously the bottom of the ACC isn't worse than the bottom of the Big East (subtract Providence), Pac 10, SEC, or Big 12.
    I don't know. Wake is pretty terrible. I'm not sure they could beat Depaul or USF.

I kind of hope Marquette does curb stomp UNC. It will shut all those sissy tarhole fans up.

creazntee
    SBR PRONoun
    creazntee's Avatar Become A Pro!

Unbelievable

TPowell

Quote Originally Posted by The Madcap View Post
    Again, no shit. You think Clemson loses that game if they hadn't had to play UAB two days prior?

how did VCU look? They press a lot too. I didnt mean because they had played earlier. I just meant that they were mentally strong enough to win a game against a quality opponent like WVU when it mattered

The Madcap

how did VCU look? They press a lot too. I didnt mean because they had played earlier. I just meant that they were mentally strong enough to win a game against a quality opponent like WVU when it mattered
    Sure. I'm not saying it can't be done. But it shouldn't be a knock if you come up just short. Besides, VCU was much fresher than Clemson. For VCU, their 2nd game against GTOWN was only their 2nd game in 11 days. It's a little different than 4 in 7 like Clemson had.

And I'm not sure VCU would have had what it took to beat West Virginia. WVU is better coached. Not to mention that GTown had just lost 5 straight and were reeling. In that specific situation, VCU has the advantage. It's kind of hard to get your shit together and work your injured point guard into the rotation when you haven't played a game in almost two weeks and you're going up against a jacked/ready/relatively fresh team that played a couple nights before. In that scenario, the rust is worse. No coach will tell you different.
    Last edited by The Madcap; 03-21-11 at 12:50 AM.

TPowell

I just don't buy fatigue as an excuse anymore. UConn beating Louisville in the BET did it for me. These kids are used to playing 2-3 games a day because of AAU and such.

The Madcap

I just don't buy fatigue as an excuse anymore. UConn beating Louisville in the BET did it for me. These kids are used to playing 2-3 games a day because of AAU and such.

But it's not like L'ville was completely fresh. They had played in back to back games.

And UCONN's first two games were both blowouts against a terrible Depaul team and GTown missing their point guard. It's not like they were that strenuous of tests with their starters having to play 40 minutes.

Plus, it's not like Louisville is the best team around. Loses to Drexel and Providence showed us that.

That isn't to take away from what UCONN did, but there's a reason Bob Knight called UCONN's run the most amazing thing he'd ever seen in sports. And that reason is that fatigue does matter.

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10452

i would say it sure as , big east is fake

Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4101

I've been sick and tired of the hype and attention the Big East has gotten this year! And the way they have embarassed themselves in the NCAA tourny has put a smile on my face.

Big East is vastly overrated, and there isn't a debate people. Anyone who has played competitive sports would know that the worth of your season relies on how you perform in crunch time. As a Conference, the Big East has failed miserably.

Here;s something to think about....had the Big East not had two matchups in the Round of 32....we may be legitimatly looking at ZERO BE teams in the Sweet 16. Interesting!

CLASSIC ROCK
    CLASSIC ROCK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

lot of young teams in acc this year,back to normal next year

agharah1
    agharah1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1191

The problem with the ACC is its UNC/Duke and the 10 dwarves. UNC/Duke if they even have half-way decent teams end up playing the first two rounds in-state so you know why they have more Sweet Sixteen appearances than any other school. FSU seems like a whole new team from the one that was losing to Auburn because of awful jumpshooting. As crazy as it sounds, FSU got better when their best player stopped taking shots.

Holdin Aces
    Holdin Aces's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 542

First off I will state that I am a die hard DUKE fan, I have been my entire life. The Big East has not faired very well in the tournament but to me I don't think that the conference is overrated. Those guys beat each other up all year long and then when the tourney rolls around they are wore out. I think the committe was spot on by only putting in 4 ACC teams. Although VT had a case it was their own fault once again, they beat Duke and get the win they need and then go out and sh*t the bed at home against Boston College. I do think that it speaks volumes about the ACC to still have 3 teams playing but at the same time I don't think the ACC teams had to deal with playing a top 25 caliber team every other game like the Big East teams did. However you would think that would make them stronger and more apt to be ready for a big run in March. Not to mention the officiating in the tournament is a whole lot different that the regular season WWF Big East slugfest you see night in and night out. I am proud of the ACC for the way they have played so far but I still fill the Big East was hands down the best conference in Basketball but very unfortunate so far in the tournament.
    Last edited by Holdin Aces; 03-21-11 at 01:54 PM.

spargament
    KHABIB
    spargament's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 367

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    Both of those statements are unarguably ridiculous. Michigan has played every team on their schedule tough. Washington(UNC's opponent) was the PAC tourny champion.
    Houlihans is on point. Washington was a scary type of team to see in a postseason event, with all the athleticism they possess I was not in the least surprised they almost beat UNC

flocko76
    flocko76's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3316

If you want to make the case that the big east is over rated, which teams would you have left out of the tournament and who would you have put in their place?

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on

Quote Originally Posted by flocko76 View Post
    If you want to make the case that the big east is over rated, which teams would you have left out of the tournament and who would you have put in their place?
    Georgetown, and Villanova OUT

Colorado, and V-Tech IN

honorable mention(Alabama)

jubuck757
    jubuck757's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Acc Had always been one of the better conferences. Alwayssssss

Ice House
    Ice House's Avatar Become A Pro!

each team should be judged on a individual basis what conference you play in only means so much

TPowell

Quote Originally Posted by spargament View Post
    Houlihans is on point. Washington was a scary type of team to see in a postseason event, with all the athleticism they possess I was not in the least surprised they almost beat UNC

Washington is shit, very lucky no other Pac 10 team has the athletes outside of maybe Arizona because Romar is one of the bottom 10-15 coaches in the nation and his teams always play stupid basketball. Thats how UK and Michigan State both beat them at the start of the year. Watch the games for christ sake

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1824

Not really just easy match ups.

If all three make the final four I'll be impressed.

redrum
    Update your status
    redrum's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

if miami hurricanes would have learn how to control games when they were ahead we would be in the tourny also. we beat west va this year. we will be a team to reckon with next year we loose only 1 player adrian thomas and gain 6-11 transfer from the gators who had to sit out Kenny Kadji and a 6-5 guard from a div 2 team watch out acc

knelson
    knelson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

The ACC is definitely always tough in the tourney. As an ACC guy, I'd like to see them be a little tougher in the regular season as well and get a few more teams in the tourney.

12 Last