WileOut
    WileOut's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

Just announced, Irving from Duke may play in first game

Will definitely be ready for sweet 16 play. This changes everything and makes Duke the favorite to win everything. Irving is the best player in the nation before his injury.

BRAVES1985
    BRAVES1985's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1975

this is huge

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Hell Yeah.

B1GER1C828
    Bostoneric
    B1GER1C828's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

OSU vs Duke would be a sickkkkk gameee

samgurt
    samgurt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Quote Originally Posted by WileOut View Post
    Will definitely be ready for sweet 16 play. This changes everything and makes Duke the favorite to win everything. Irving is the best player in the nation before his injury.
    One key word here. Kansas has it this year

Tower
    Tower's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4571

This is exactly what I was saying Sunday night.

Jasonal_98
    Jasonal_98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 237

They could have continuity issues working him back into the rotation.

meader99
    meader99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5231

I don't know that he can be the same player he was after this much time off. However, any contribution from him makes Duke a more dangerous team.

Stacocakes
    Stacocakes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 538

Already liked Duke to get far here and this totally helps them out. Just wonder what kind of shape he will be in. Sometimes these players give a big boost to a team and other times it hurts the team. Guess we will find out.

Marigold HD
    Marigold HD's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47737

Duke All the way.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Yes if this kid is healthy its all over

Why watch it

PAYTON20
    PAYTON20's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 770

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Why watch it

How did the dog strategy work out? you track it?

kickenchicken
    kickenchicken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4128

he will only be a p.t. player baby

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Kid isn't playing. There's talk of him going 1 in the draft. He's not risking it.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21665

It makes them dangerous indeed, both to win it all or to lose early.

Brewers in 7
    SBR owes me 45 points
    Brewers in 7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1303

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    It makes them dangerous indeed, both to win it all or to lose early.
    exactly, he good come out shoot lights out, or pull a 1-22 performance..

dwang0725
    dwang0725's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 813

This is a game changer. Duke's bench just got that much deeper. This should help them immensely in making a deep run.

slatter
    slatter's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nobody is allowed to root for Duke. NOBODY!

Landscaper
    Banned
    Landscaper's Avatar Become A Pro!

Duke Baby

james4512
    james4512's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 139

duke still has the softest bigs out of any of the top 3 seeds. he makes nolan smith worse and singler just a jump shooter and he hasnt played in 3+ months hes not going to be a 100% and will turn the ball over a lot could make duke worse i think or marginally better

3PtShooter
    3PtShooter's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16221

will duke make a run at some of UCLA's records

blackbart
    blackbart's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20697

if able to contribute at close to the level he was at, makes duke fav to win it all. huge addition to a thin lineup

blackbart
    blackbart's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20697

The Blue Devils will hold their pre-NCAA tournament open practice Thursday at the arena in Charlotte, and "we'll know a heck of a lot more by then," Krzyzewski said.

cmendo2005
    cmendo2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 512

The only issue would be his conditioning and flow with the game, changes alot for Duke but I see Irving as a change of pace guard if he makes a comeback not the starting point.

cbiscuit
    cbiscuit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1714

If I'm Coach K I don't play him in Rd1, just a few minutes in Rd 2, buy a few more days/practices and use him sparingly in R3 and as often as needed after that. Who the hell knows what politics are going on behind the scenes... his agent wants to showcase him on the biggest stage in hopes of ensuring him as #1 pick in draft but does not want to risk injury. Coach K wants him badly but won't use him foolishly.
    Duke could win this thing without Irving, with him they are definite favorite now.

The Bet Master
    The Bet Master's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good for Duke, bad for him. Why risk anything when your going to be a top pick?

Duke Fan
    Duke Fan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9801

Quote Originally Posted by kickenchicken View Post
    he will only be a p.t. player baby
    p.t. as in prime time. Seriously,where this helps Duke,the Plumlees become a factor,especially Mason. Mason is an athletic big guy that really ran the floor well with Irving pushing the ball. Backs to the basket they are non factors on offense. Both are better players than Zoubec and Thomas last year,and Irving and Curry give them more depth at guard. Odd man out is Dawkins who can carry a lot of teams.

Not the easiest bracket this year, but a little production from Irving may push them over the top. Team they will have to beat to win it all is Kansas
    Last edited by Duke Fan; 03-16-11 at 02:23 PM.

Tower

Quote Originally Posted by james4512 View Post
    duke still has the softest bigs out of any of the top 3 seeds. he makes nolan smith worse and singler just a jump shooter and he hasnt played in 3+ months hes not going to be a 100% and will turn the ball over a lot could make duke worse i think or marginally better
    I've been following this for the past few weeks very closely and posted he might play last weekend before they broke the story. I think this has a huge impact on their team.

Contrary to popular thinking, I strongly believe guards win in the tourney not the bigs. Take a look at the past several championship teams, very strong guards with mediocre big men. Duke UNCx2 Florida Kansas.... Name a recent team that rode a big man to the championship?? You can't because there aren't any, average post presence and outstanding guard play is how you win tournaments. (This years Big East/ACC Tournament ring a bell?!))

Kryrie not at 100% is still a good player and serviceable to give the Dukies minutes, which is basically all they would ask of him. Irving's minutes will allow the other guards Smith, Curry, Dawkins, Thorton (Dawkins and Thorton IMO are by far their best guard defenders) to be more aggressive and play the pressure defense they want to play and not have to worry about fouls as much, not to mention give them rest when they need a blow. This is a huge advantage and difference maker for the Dukies. Watch and see....

D3 Mighty Ducks
    D3 Mighty Ducks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 782

Quote Originally Posted by The Bet Master View Post
    Good for Duke, bad for him. Why risk anything when your going to be a top pick?
    Every college student with a basketball scholarship dreams of playing in this tournament. Kobe and Lebron both straight out of high school have admitted they wish they could of participated in something like this except they didn't.

This makes Duke even stronger not worse.

redsox3g2
    redsox3g2's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 222

Quote Originally Posted by Tower View Post
    Take a look at the past several championship teams, very strong guards with mediocre big men. Duke UNCx2 Florida Kansas....
    While I agree with the main point of the post (that Guard play is insanely important) , UNC and Florida weren't teams with mediocre big men. Sean May, Tyler Hansbrough, Al Horford, and Joakim Noah were all outstanding College big men. Granted the UNC teams also had Felton/Lawson so they had the PG covered too.

As for Irving, if he contributes even half what he did before the injury Duke is scary as hell. There's no way I could see this making them worse, becaues if he struggles K is a good enough coach to pull him.

Tower

Quote Originally Posted by redsox3g2 View Post
    While I agree with the main point of the post (that Guard play is insanely important) , UNC and Florida weren't teams with mediocre big men. Sean May, Tyler Hansbrough, Al Horford, and Joakim Noah were all outstanding College big men. Granted the UNC teams also had Felton/Lawson so they had the PG covered too.

As for Irving, if he contributes even half what he did before the injury Duke is scary as hell. There's no way I could see this making them worse, becaues if he struggles K is a good enough coach to pull him.
    Yeah I agree, Sean May would be the exception to my argument, he did win the MOP award. More often than not, though, guards are the difference maker in the tourney.

And with your Coach K comment, I couldn't agree more. If there is any coach in the tourney who I would trust the most to manage the play of Kryrie's playing status and role, it would be Coach K. I think sometimes people undervalue a coaches management of the game.