knelson
    knelson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Do you agree with Seth?

Seth Greenberg asks whether or not the committee has an agenda that does not include Virginia Tech. I go to VT and think that Seth's accusation is ludacris; however, still think it's kinda fishy that we are one of the last few teams on the outside looking in every year. What do you guys think?

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/26152/greenberg-does-committee-have-agenda

Tklane21
    Tklane21's Avatar Become A Pro!

I personally had VT behind both Colorado and Alabama as teams that got hosed, so it may not have been an agenda. Now does it still suck and make me lose faith in the selection committee and their practices? Damn straight

CollegeOverUnder
    DJ COOPER
    CollegeOverUnder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 217

lol Seth Greenberg when will this guy get a break

TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

I remember somebody from ESPN telling him you just punched your bid right after beating Duke late in the year

Shane
    Shane's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

It must be the committee keeping this poor guy from putting together a respectable OOC schedule.

Brian891
    Brian891's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3624

i agree. play some real teams out of conference, dont lose to virginia TWICE and dont beat duke thinking thats all u have to do and then immediately lose to Boston College at home. then maybe they will get into tourney. michigan state has shown that even losing to good teams is better than pounding schmoes. greenberg only has himself and his sloppy undisciplined team to blame. I was more surprised by alabama. georgia is a 10 seed but alabama is out?

agharah1
    agharah1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1191

VT played a lot of major conference teams, so SoS wasn't the problem. The problem is that the ACC is once again Duke/UNC and the 10 dwarves. Think about it, other than UNC and Duke no other ACC school finished in the top 50, including FSU. And on top of that, they got swept by Virginia and lost to Georgia Tech. They only beat Duke because the Devils scored 9 points in the last 11 mins of the game.

As for Alabama, that wasn't a surprise at all, not even close. This exact same thing happened last year. In the 2010 SEC Tournament Florida and Mississippi State met in what people said was a bubble elimination game. Mississippi State won, and came one crappy rebounding attempt short of the automatic bid over Kentucky. But when the selection show came, sure enough the Bulldogs were out but Florida was safely in. Its the same with Alabama/Georgia. Even with those two losses to Bama, I looked at Georgia's resume and I said "wow this team isn't just in, they're safely in." That they got a 10 seed only reaffirmed my reasoning.

BiffTFinancial
    BiffTFinancial's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5368

when you lose twice to BC and UVA, and you drop 3 of your final 5 games, you're part of the conspiracy. the fact that other crappy teams got in doesn't mean that this crappy team got screwed. the 'agenda' nonsense is embarrassing.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

I'm disappointed he didn't come on TV and cry, it's just not the same reading it.

Jive
    Jive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 142

I lost what little respect I had for Greenberg, and now experience schadenfreude at each of his misfortunes, when he unilaterally broke his contract with ODU after the Monarchs beat him 4 out of 5 years, then he had the gall to claim it was because ODU wasn't good enough for his Hokies to face.

Bet a win against Old Dominion in either of the last 2 years would have put him in the dance. I think VT should have been in before UAB and VCU (and after Colorado & Bama), but I have no sympathy for Greenberg.

firehoyt
    Are you serious, Clark?
    firehoyt's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bahahaha heard a Bama fan call into local sports talk radio yesterday and said there was a big conspiracy against Bama and he thought the grudge went all the way back to the slavery days, so Bama wouldn't get in.

I'd like to ask him about JFK's killer or those pesky Black Helicopters!! LOL

MCherry281
    MCherry281's Avatar Become A Pro!

Greenberg should be pissed. Every year the committee leaves Virginia Tech out when they should be in. They beat Duke late in the year and that should have sealed. I don't care about all this out of conference sos and crap like that. Whatever happened to just watching games and using common sense. Then they knocked off Florida State in the conf tourney. It's a no brainer these guys should be in over teams like UAB or VCU but like the guys on ESPN said the committee might not even know the ball is round.

JMUplayer
    Update your status
    JMUplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21752

Watch what happens to Vtech once Delaney and Allen are gone........

Wiggums5
    The Wiggler
    Wiggums5's Avatar Become A Pro!

No way in hell Vtech deserved to make it this year. Their non conference wins are horrible to say the least. They have only beaten 3 tournament teams this season...Penn State, Florida State and Duke...now how does that deserve an at large?

dotheopposite
    dotheopposite's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1339

Colorado got the biggest shaft. They beat Kstate 3 times, beat Texas, beat Mizzo, and took TX A&M into OT before losing. Sure they had some tough loses but it happens.

MCherry281

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggums5 View Post
    No way in hell Vtech deserved to make it this year. Their non conference wins are horrible to say the least. They have only beaten 3 tournament teams this season...Penn State, Florida State and Duke...now how does that deserve an at large?
    and UAB has beaten who? Only team in the tournament they have beaten is VCU (and they don't even deserve to be in either) UAB also lost the opening game of their conference tournament. Now how does beating Penn St, Florida State twice, and Duke not deserve a bid over what UAB has done? Also went to overtime with Purdue and had a shot with less than 5 seconds left to win at North Carolina.

jarvol
    jarvol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3670

Quote Originally Posted by agharah1 View Post
    VT played a lot of major conference teams, so SoS wasn't the problem.
    Do some of you just refuse facts in lieu of your opinions? Last year VaTech's OOC SOS was 327. This year it was 153. The weak ACC schedule bumped their total SOS up to 74. The committe has sent them the same message year after year. If they are going to finish midpack in the ACC then they had better do something out of conference and they just refuse.

Wiggums5
    The Wiggler

Quote Originally Posted by MatchbookSucks View Post
    and UAB has beaten who? Only team in the tournament they have beaten is VCU (and they don't even deserve to be in either) UAB also lost the opening game of their conference tournament. Now how does beating Penn St, Florida State twice, and Duke not deserve a bid over what UAB has done? Also went to overtime with Purdue and had a shot with less than 5 seconds left to win at North Carolina.
    learn to read. I didn't say UAB deserved to be in...Colorado deserved a spot.

MCherry281

learn to read. I didn't say UAB deserved to be in...Colorado deserved a spot.
    Learn to read huh? Please enlighten me where you say anything about Colorado in this thread? Sorry, don't have the time to read every other thread in every forum. VT also deserving over VCU and USC but not going to waste any more time on this.

knelson
    knelson's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by JMUplayer View Post
    Watch what happens to Vtech once Delaney and Allen are gone........
    Actually VT has the best recruiting class in school history coming in next year (now #12 in the country). 3 top 100s and another just outside the top 100. Get your facts straight! (in a mike gundy voice)

The Madcap
    The world meets nobody halfway.
    The Madcap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 460

While in recent seasons I think you can point to VTech scheduling weak opponents, this year is different. They went up against Purdue, Kansas State, UNLV, Penn State, Oklahoma State, and Mississippi State. Of course they lost to Purdue, UNLV, and K-State, but still, got to give them credit for scheduling tougher teams. I don't think you'll find too many power conference schools with that many tough non-conf opponents.

The fact is VCU and UAB should not have been in the tournament. That was the biggest amount of bullshit I have ever seen.
    For years we've been told that NCAA committee looks at how a team is playing late in the season. VCU is 3-5 in their last 8 games. 3-5! And those losses didn't exactly come against top 25 teams.

On the season they have lost to Georgia State (12-19 record), Northeastern (11-20 record), and South Florida (10-23 record). They have other losses to James Madison and Drexel. In the 9 games they played against fellow NCAA Tournament teams, they went 3-6. Two of those wins were against conference foes George Mason and Old Dominion. Outside the conference they went 1-3 against Tourney teams: losing to Richmond, Tennessee, and UAB. They did beat UCLA back in November. But that was FOUR MONTHS AGO. In February and March this team is a combined 5-6. And that's in the Colonial league.

Including VCU, the Colonial got ODU/George Mason in the tournament. So you're telling me the Colonial Athletic conference deserved 3 bids, while the ACC only deserved 4? I know the ACC wasn't great this year, but sweet jesus, they've won 5 of the last 10 national championships. And they sure as shit are more than one bid better than the damned Colonial Athletic Conference.

And what about UAB?

The best non-conference teams they played were Arizona State (lost), Georgia (lost), and Duke (lost by 20 in a game that wasn't even that close), meanwhile VTech beats Duke on national television.

UAB's best non-conf wins were against Arkansas (who just fired their coach) and the already exposed VCU. And as weak as the ACC was this season, Conf USA was even worse. And while you might make case for Colorado over VTech, the point remains, the selections of VCU/UAB shows that the committee was completely full of shit this year. And I hate pointing this out, but I have to wonder if the fact that both VCU/UAB being coached by black guys and the committee chairman being black had anything to do with it.

Alabama fans have no reason to complain. Their best win outside the SEC was against, well I can't even tell. Who was better out of Pepperdine, Troy, Toledo, and Alabama A&M? Plus they lost to power conference bottom feeders Providence, Iowa, and Seton Hall. As well as losing to SAINT PETER'S. (They also lost to Purdue by 20 and Oklahoma State) The Tide is right where they should be.

And if they were going to get in, it should have been at the expense of the two other SEC schools who had no business getting in ahead of VTech, Tennessee/Georgia.

I don't know how Tennessee got in. 19-14 is bad enough over all, but the VOLS went 4-7 in their last 11. And while early season wins against Villanova, Pittsburgh, Memphis, VCU, and Missouri State are impressive, they are completely undone by the three straight loses to Oakland, Charlotte, and Southern Cal. Oh, and they also lost to College of Charleston. No one would have been up in arms or shocked if they hadn't gotten berth. Even their own fans. That's how you know they shouldn't have gotten in.

Georgia is also a suspect pick. They lost their toughest non-conf games: Xavier, Temple, and Notre Dame. Their best win (of the whole season) came against Colorado. Georgia's conference record is a sham. While they went 9-7, seven of those wins came against: Arkansas (7-9 in SEC), LSU (3-13), Mississippi State (9-7), twice against South Carolina (5-11) and twice against Auburn (4-12). They did manage a win against Kentucky and Tennessee. But against the best teams in the SEC (Florida, UK, UT, Vandy, and Alabama) they went 2-8. The combined conference record of the teams they beat in the SEC is 62-98. That averages out to 6-10. That's pathetic. While VTech had some tough losses to GTech/UVA, they still had a 3-2 record against the top 3 teams in their conference. Unlike UGA who went 1-5 against the top three teams in their division, and if you count the losses to Alabama, that's 1-7 against the top four teams in their conference.

Now some might argue UGA should have gotten in ahead of Colorado because they beat Colorado. And while Colorado had some ugly early season losses (UGA, San Francisco, Harvard, New Mexico) and not one strong non-conf win to point to, neither did Michigan who got in because of a solid record in a tough Big Ten. And Colorado did the same in the Big 12. Colorado went 4-4 against the top four teams in the Big 12 (KU, KState, Texas, A&M) all of whom are currently ranked in the top 25. They also went 1-1 against Missouri.

At Large berths are supposed to go to the best teams that can beat the better teams, not the mediocre teams who can't beat one better team but can beat a bunch of scrubs. And that's exactly what UAB/VCU/UGA are. Mediocre teams that can't beat anybody good. But they are in, and teams like VTech and Colorado, who have shown they can beat the best teams in the country, they are sitting at home. It's complete bullshit. And I have no idea how the NCAA can keep fukking this up year after year.

Wiggums5
    The Wiggler

Quote Originally Posted by MatchbookSucks View Post
    Learn to read huh? Please enlighten me where you say anything about Colorado in this thread? Sorry, don't have the time to read every other thread in every forum. VT also deserving over VCU and USC but not going to waste any more time on this.
    I just did pal. man boys we got a real genious on our hands here.

MCherry281

I just did pal. man boys we got a real genious on our hands here.
    Ok Mr. Einstein but since you're apparently the smart guy you might want to learn how to spell "genius" and now I'm really done wasting time on this. The Madcap pretty much said all the needs to be said on his post above.

flocko76
    flocko76's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3316

i don't understand why the committee doesn't just use the guy from espn who spends the whole season (or maybe just half) posting a bracket and who's in and who's out. Every week, and towards the end of the season daily, they update the bracket. I think the committee spends one weekend trying to start from scratch when espn spends the whole season with multiple guys doing it.

The Madcap
    The world meets nobody halfway.
    The Madcap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 460

Quote Originally Posted by flocko76 View Post
    i don't understand why the committee doesn't just use the guy from espn who spends the whole season (or maybe just half) posting a bracket and who's in and who's out. Every week, and towards the end of the season daily, they update the bracket. I think the committee spends one weekend trying to start from scratch when espn spends the whole season with multiple guys doing it.
    They don't because Lunardi is just as much as a dumbass as they are. Not to mention you can't put something like that in the hands of one man. A committee is the right way to go. They just need smarter people on the committee.

2DB187
    2DB187's Avatar Become A Pro!

i have way more of a problem with the seeding this year and how weak the southeast is than i do with a couple shit teams that didnt make it in....bottom line is sure they probably made a few mistakes but if you getting left out of a field that has all these other suspect teams in it then you should really look in the mirror when you are scheduling your out of conf games, or maybe not act like the season is complete after you knock off duke at home....

2DB187
    2DB187's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by The Madcap View Post
    They don't because Lunardi is just as much as a dumbass as they are. Not to mention you can't put something like that in the hands of one man. A committee is the right way to go. They just need smarter people on the committee.