Tower
    Tower's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4571

Kyrie Irving MAY be back????

I haven't seen anyone talk about this yet, but here is something I've been looking into. How much stock do you guys put in this??? Could he be back if they make a deep run?? and/or what type of impact would he really be able to make?

http://dukechronicle.com/article/irving-hints-return

I don't think the doctors would be letting him do drills in practice unless there was a good chance of him being able to play in the tournament.
    Last edited by Tower; 03-14-11 at 01:18 PM.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

He is going to be a top 5 pick.

I'm sure his agent, to be named later, has already advised him to get his pom-poms ready.

TheDane
    TheDane's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12808

There is gonna be a lockout this year. Probably a factor in his decision.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on

Quote Originally Posted by TheDane View Post
    There is gonna be a lockout this year. Probably a factor in his decision.
    But there will be a draft.

Tower

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    But there will be a draft.
    But I don't think he would get paid till it ended, so no incentive to go. I'm probably one of the few that actually think that he will play in the tournament. I mean hell, Nike made a specialized shoe for him to wear.
    Last edited by Tower; 03-14-11 at 07:24 PM.

BettingWizard
    BettingWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

he's just going to mess up their chemistry

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on

Yes you are one of the few.

He will be guaranteed a contract, when he is drafted in the lottery(top 14 picks). Then he will get endorsements, even B4 the season starts.

You dont get paid until the season starts anyway. No matter how long the league locks out, it would not not last as long as another year of @Duke.

I'm really do not want to argue furthermore, but dont be surprised when Irving is on the sidelines handing out Capri Suns.

fsfalcons
    fsfalcons's Avatar Become A Pro!

I like Duke to win it all even without him

Tower

No matter how long the league locks out, it would not not last as long as another year of @Duke.
    I agree with this point.

D3 Mighty Ducks
    D3 Mighty Ducks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 782

Hes a great player but being out for so long I don't think it would be the best thing for Duke right now. Commentators are always emphasizing how important team chemistry is and throwing it a new face (a very talented player) could throw out all that chemistry this time of year.

Regardless if he comes back or not I still think Duke will do very well in this tournament if they play their game.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on

Add the fact he is probably not in game shape.

Tower

Yes you are one of the few.

I'm really do not want to argue furthermore, but dont be surprised when Irving is on the sidelines handing out Capri Suns.
    I'm not arguing either, but you are going to want to check this out! A quote from Coach K and his playing status.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-basketb...asketball-news

Rbyrne
    Rbyrne's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12643

Tower u are right bud....he will be back...Houli just thinks he knows everything....why wouldnt he want to play?? for the love of the game....houli thinks everythings all about money

Rbyrne

Coach k just said dont be suprised if he plays in the 1st round.....that game would be perfect for him to knock of the rust and get some game time while they are blowing out some scrub team

THEGREAT30
    A man in need is a man exposed
    THEGREAT30's Avatar Become A Pro!

Coach Gay just giving the competition something else to prepare for he is not coming back

Tower

Quote Originally Posted by THEGREAT30 View Post
    Coach Gay just giving the competition something else to prepare for he is not coming back

Care to bet some points on that?! Put your money where you mouth is.
    Last edited by Tower; 03-15-11 at 06:19 PM.

Holdin Aces
    Holdin Aces's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 542

I'm a huge Duke fan and I am happy but he definetly needs to play 1st round to knock the rust off.

IAMWINNER
    IAMWINNER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Duke line is now -30

Rbyrne

I think he comes back next year....some guys want to have a good college career....the NBA is the WORST and always will be so why would he wanna rush himself to that pathetic league.....im sure his parents are rich like every other duke player

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on

Quote Originally Posted by Tower View Post
    I'm not arguing either, but you are going to want to check this out! A quote from Coach K and his playing status. http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-basketb...asketball-news
    The fact that they are really thinking of playing him is crazy.

I think you may be right about him playing, which you deserve credit for. But I still think its just talk.

Phillth
    Phillth's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 44

dont think its a good idea for him to come back

whutchuwant
    whutchuwant's Avatar Become A Pro!

I said this before the ACC tourney was over in one of these UNC forums! DUKE NATL CHAMPS!

meader99
    meader99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5231

First off, you know the kid WANTS to play. Even if he were to re-injur that toe, it's not a career threatening injury. He will still get his money whether he goes this year or next. If he's going to the NBA this year, you know he wants to play in the NCAA tournament one time.

Tower

I posted this in another thread but think its valid for this thread as well.

I've been following this for the past few weeks very closely and posted he might play last weekend before they broke the story. I think this has a huge impact on their team.

Contrary to popular thinking, I strongly believe guards win in the tourney not the bigs. Take a look at the past several championship teams, very strong guards with mediocre big men. Duke UNCx2 Florida Kansas.... Name a recent team that rode a big man to the championship?? You can't because there aren't any, average post presence and outstanding guard play is how you win tournaments. (This years Big East/ACC Tournament ring a bell?!))

Kryrie not at 100% is still a good player and serviceable to give the Dukies minutes, which is basically all they would ask of him. Irving's minutes will allow the other guards Smith, Curry, Dawkins, Thorton (Dawkins and Thorton IMO are by far their best guard defenders) to be more aggressive and play the pressure defense they want to play and not have to worry about fouls as much, not to mention give them rest when they need a blow. This is a huge advantage and difference maker for the Dukies. He will play make a difference, watch and see....