yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Quote Originally Posted by The Madcap View Post
    In most years I'd agree with you. But this isn't most years. The ACC's RPI sucks. The only two ACC teams in the Top 25 are Duke/UNC. And UNC sucks. They are 5-5 outside of Chapel Hill. And are only in the rankings because of name recognition.

Not that Joe Lundardi's "Bracketology" really means shit at this point, but he doesn't have Maryland in the tourney. He doesn't even have them in the "first four out." The Terps are no where near "certainly" in. Hate to burst your "bubble," but if Maryland doesn't beat Duke tonight, they better go 7-1 down the back stretch of ACC play or get ready for another NIT appearance. 10-6 in the conference and no wins against Duke or the top 25 isn't going to be good enough to make it from the ACC this year. Sorry.

kenpom has them 17th.

There are other teams they can beat besides Duke.

I didn't say they're "certainly in", just that the way they're going, they would almost certainly make the tournament, with or without a win over Duke.

yisman

Basically, I don't buy the "desperately needs a win" angle.

They desperately want a win because Duke is their #1 rival. Their fans despite Duke, and so do they.

yisman

Yeah. Exactly. The ACC sucks. I live on Tobacco Road. I know what I'm talking about.
    Now there's a strange comment.

Yes, they could make a run in the conference tourney, but if you're relying on the conference tourney to seal your entry (like my Pack had to do every year under Herb Sendek), then you're not "certainly getting in" as one poster stated.

I looked through the thread and no poster stated they'd "certainly get in."

Foggy
    Foggy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

You live on Tobacco Road so you know what your talkin about... lol.
    9-7 with a 1 good conference tourny win would be the right on the bubble. 10-6 w/ no wins.-- in

Foggy

If Tobacco road is so smart then why is Lowe still coaching?

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

duke started that st johns game 1-19 form the 3....i doubt that will happen tonite.

The Madcap
    The world meets nobody halfway.
    The Madcap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 460

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    If Tobacco road is so smart then why is Lowe still coaching?

I went to State.

Foggy

I went to State.
    I knew I'd stump you on that one.

The Madcap

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    You live on Tobacco Road so you know what your talkin about... lol.
    9-7 with a 1 good conference tourny win would be the right on the bubble. 10-6 w/ no wins.-- in
    Virginia Tech went 10-6 in the ACC last season. DIDN'T get it in.

In 2008 they went 9-7 in the ACC and won a conference tourney game. And DIDN'T get in.

So shut the fuk up and get back to playing with your dolls.

woody78
    woody78's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hit up the Dookies -4. Terps can not hang tonight.

The Madcap

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post
    Basically, I don't buy the "desperately needs a win" angle.

They desperately want a win because Duke is their #1 rival. Their fans despite Duke, and so do they.
    That's fine. You don't need to buy it. And Gary doesn't need to sell it to his guys. But he knows how it works. And I can promise you his coaching this week was inspired beyond just wanting to beat Duke.

The Madcap

kenpom has them 17th.

There are other teams they can beat besides Duke.

I didn't say they're "certainly in", just that the way they're going, they would almost certainly make the tournament, with or without a win over Duke.
    The way they are going? What does that mean exactly? One win in their last ten games against a team with a winning record? Where is that going? I tell you where that's going: the N I T.

Maryland is a mediocre/inconsistent team. Just like most of the ACC this year. With 9 games left, 4 on the road (@UNC, @VT, @Miami, @BC) and a couple stiffies at home (Duke/FSU), the odds are stacked against Maryland finishing any better than 5-4 in that stretch. And 9-7 in the ACC don't mean much this year.

So like I said, Maryland desperately needs a win tonight against Duke or they are going to need to go 7-1 or 6-2 in their last 8 games to be sure of a spot in the tourney. And the easiest path to that record includes wining at Miami/BC and beating FSU at home. Miami/BC aren't very good. But Miami beat West Virginia, proving they can beat better competition. And BC's already beaten Maryland once. So what I'm saying is, if you're Gary Williams, and you've looked at your schedule, and you know what your young/inconsistent team is capable of, you know you need this home win against Duke in the worst way to avoid another NIT.

fishmonger
    Very sharp square
    fishmonger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

Win or lose Maryland is in. They have name recognition also. ACC will get more spots than they deserve just like Big Ten getting more love in bowl games. The philosophy of inter league play beating up on each other will play a factor when they select teams for the dance. I mean NC state still has a shot if we can get our shit together.

yisman

The way they are going? What does that mean exactly? One win in their last ten games against a team with a winning record? Where is that going? I tell you where that's going: the N I T.
    The way they are going means the way they are going, and that would likely not land them in the NIT.

The Madcap

Quote Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
    I mean NC state still has a shot if we can get our shit together.

I guess that depends on what you mean by "get our shit together." I mean if "get our shit together" means winning the ACC tournament, well then, yeah. Otherwise.....c'mon. You know that's bullshit. We're 12-10. We have 8 games left. Even if we win all 8 we're still only 20-10. And you and I both know at BEST we're going 4-4 @Duke/@Wake/@Maryland/UNC/@UVA/FSU/GT/Clemson. Even if we "got our shit together" 5-3 would be considered better than expected against that group. And that's still just 17-13.

Win or lose Maryland is in. They have name recognition also.
    They had name recognition in '06 when they went 18-11 in the regular season then won another game in the ACC tourney and didn't get in. Right now Maryland is 14-7. After tonight it looks like they'll be 14-8 with 9 games to play. Throw in 4 losses out of @UNC, @VT, @BC, @Miami, FSU, UVA, and they are looking at 19-12 without a decent win. Repeat of 2006.

The philosophy of inter league play beating up on each other will play a factor when they select teams for the dance.
    That's true. Unfortunately it doesn't work when your conference sucks on the whole and your team can't beat anybody outside the conference. (IE: Maryland)

ACC will get more spots than they deserve just like Big Ten getting more love in bowl games.
    Know how many ACC teams got bids in 2006?

Four.

I suspect the number will be similar this year. Duke/UNC. Then two out of Clemson/FSU/VT/Maryland/BC.

The Madcap

The way they are going means the way they are going, and that would likely not land them in the NIT.
    Having a bunch of wins against crappy teams with losing records is exactly what gets a team in the NIT. Just ask Seth Greenberg.

romoney
    College Hoop Time
    romoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 179

why is everyone scared to take Maryland??
    This is why

Serbone
    Serbone's Avatar Become A Pro!

You cannot go by the St. Johns game.
    The St. Johns game was a "pain in the ass" game to Duke.
    They had a loss, so no chance at undefeated season... what they were interested in was winning the ACC, winning the ACC Tourney.
    To St Johns, it was their game of the yr, and they have some strong kids up front, Duke's weakness. And the Big E seems stronger than the ACC.
    Non conference games in late jan early Feb, with two competitive teams, always take the home team.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Game set match

First 12