CollegeOverUnder
    DJ COOPER
    CollegeOverUnder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 217

What have WE Learned This WEEK?

The Weekly Write up in What have WE Learned This WEEK?

By CollegeOverUnder.

Hello everyone, another wonderful week in the college basketball world. Lots of excitement going on once again! Gotta love betting the kids on a nightly basis! This weeks section will be longer then usual as I have more to write about this week and hope to keep building up each week all the way to March Madness. Once conference tourneys hit I will have insane deep reviews on all squads and specialize in the mid major action. Ill let TPOWELL run the show at the POWER CONFERENCES hahaha. Well let’s start off with the headline game of the week that everyone anxiously awaited to see a result from. So let’s head on out to the Mountain West Conference and see what’s goings on!

Before I get started though I would like to give a big thanks to TPOWELL and IMAWINNER both are great contributors to the forum.

San Diego State opened up as underdogs @ BYU on WED night in a sold out crowd. Jimmer put on a show for the first time @ home posting 43 whopping points. What does this say about BYU though? I did not get a chance to watch the game as I was in class during this game but I took a look at the box score and see that DJ GAY of SDSU only posted 2 points? Am I a believer in both programs? Yes I will happily back both teams as of right now but we still need to see whom they draw in the NCAA during March.

BYU went into the PITT Saturday and lost to New Mexico. Where does this put BYU now and San Diego State beat the holy ******* hell outta Wyoming. SDSU can still pull a #2 seed off IMO as long as they beat BYU in the second meeting. But BYU hurt themselves and are looking at a #3 or #4 seed Im pretty sure.

But lets keep an eye on Colorado State still shall we? UNLV is good but not as good as they should be.

Will BUTLER make the tourney this year? They were swept by Milwaukee this year. Who are 10-11 right now and 5-5 in conference? Cleveland State leads the way but im a fan of the VALPARAISO team and im penciling them into the NCAAs currently.
    (NOTE this was wrote on WED night before VALPO beat BUTLER)

Notre Dame visited Pittsburgh Monday night and that was a show. ND ran their famous BURN offense running the clock down to an average of 8 seconds on the shot clock every possession. That was the signature win for ND and ND is easily being penciled into the NCAAs.

Lets head to the MEAC for a short visit.

I think its time for MORGAN STATE to be dethroned. I could be wrong but I like Hampton in this conference. But Hampton has a very questionable loss against Florida A@M. And Morgan State lost to Norfolk St by 2 points.

CAA action

VCU, George Mason, Hofstra, Old Dominion, James Madison who the hell knows! This Conference deserves 2 bids and I will be highly surprised if 2 teams aren’t giving bids to the tourney. This is ridiculous how competitive everything is right now. There is simply too much happening in this league for me to break it down evenly with out taking up a few pages.

Saturday Action in the CAA

Old Dominion hosted Towson and got a W
    VCU hosted NCW and got a W
    George Mason went into W@M and got a W
    Drexel went into Hofstra and got a W ( Key Win )
    JMU went into Delaware and got a W

Ohio State rolled Purdue to prove they were the #1 team in the country, and pulled a huge squeaker off against Northwestern I will be watching the replay of this game as I was not around for most of the day.

UCONN beats down on Marquette

Syracuse gets handed its 4th loss of the season getting rocked by HAZELL and the HALL and then went into Marquette where they trailed for most of the game letting Quette get a much needed victory for their NCAA hopes.

How good is Kansas? Squeaking by Colorado though. A win is a win

Is there any point in trying to figure out teams like Florida and Georgia?

Richmond visited Dayton and pulled off a huge A-10 victory knocking Dayton off at Dayton. That doesn’t happen often, BUT then hosted XAVIER and lost to them. Gotta love the A-10 battles.

In the Atlantic Sun conference Belmont got handed their first loss of the season in conference play. Losing to Lipscomb. I’m still riding Belmont though.

Belmont posted an impressive win Friday night against Florida Gulf Coast. Belmont plays fast and hard. Their bench is just as good as there starting 5. Lets remember this…

In the Missouri Valley Conference Missouri State headed to Drake and pulled off a squeaker moving to 9-1 in conference. While Wichita State rolled Bradley Saturday.

Providence is running on a heater right now knocking Louisville and Villanova off in the same week. I look forward to seeing providence entering the top 25 rankings this coming Monday. They have earned it.

#20 Georgetown went into #7 Villanova and stole a huge win for the program. Im not a fan of the Hoyas I honestly don’t think they are that good of a team but I could be wrong in this.

CENTRAL FLORIDA has completely fallen off the face of the planet. Losing 6 in a row now just losing another game to UAB as the favorites.

Conference USA is a pittyful joke right now and will only receive 1 vote to the NCAA.

Illinois lost to Indiana

Utah State keeps on rolling teams in the weak WAC. Am not willing to back this team in the first round of the NCAAs. But depends on whom they draw. They play Hawaii tonight as the #25 team in the country.

St.Marys went into Gonzaga and stole a monster win, but then went to Portland as 6 point favorites along with 80% of the countries money riding on them and lost. I thought that was pretty funny to see 80% of the country backing them. Gonzaga then hosted the worst team in the WCC San Diego and hammered them.

San Francisco is on the rise in the WCC along with Santa Clara. The WCC conference tourney will be a very entertaining tourney with lots of pressure riding.

Santa Clara went on the road and controlling tempo against Loyola Marymount

Michigan went into Michigan State and stole an enormous win. I am still a believer in Michigan State though. I will not say MSU is a bad team like most of the guys on the forum. This team has what it takes

Florida Atlantic came off another victory in the Sun Belt beating Middle Tennessee moving to 8-0 in the EAST division. I look forward to a Florida Atlantic vs. North Texas Final for the NCAA bid. North Texas took a loss to Lafayette though.

The MAAC has turned into a race. SIENA is in the middle of the pack but to count SIENA out officially is the wrong thing to do. Fairfield was my preseason pick to win the MAAC and is currently leading the way but RIDER went into IONA and stole a huge win to even up the 2nd place standings in a 3-way tie.

In the Friday Night Action Fairfield hosted Manhattan and were posted as 20-point favorites but only won by 2 points. I was on the UNDER 118.5 but 120 points were posted. I started to think about that though and if the total is posted at 118.5 and the team is projected to win by 20 points then it’s expected to be a complete blowout but such a large spread for such a small TOTAL.

Siena went into Loyola MD and posted a convincing win

IONA has GLOVER and MACHADO/ Fairfield has NEEDHAM and OLANDER who wins in the end?

Missouri is still overrated and I got a huge laugh outta the guy who started the thread called WHY IS MISSOURI A BIG DOG TONIGHT AT TEXAS? Because Missouri blows and are not as good as people think they are.

Kansas St. @ Kansas and Kansas rolled K-State over with Robinson doing deadly work for his mother’s rememberance.

Wisconsin @ Penn State , Penn State pulled off the victory against the #15 Badgers and WILL be in the top 25 rankings this coming MONDAY. There is no reason they don’t get pushed into t he rankings. They have proven themselves.

Also a small shout out to Davidson for knocking off Charleston

dozer
    dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!

also, i am the best on this site hands down.

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

i think it is because texas is better than people think. texas defense and rebounding is so good not many teams outside the big east top tier and ohio state can grind it out with them. it also appeared texas guards are really good as they broke the mizz pressure so easily eventally mizz stopped doing it.

CollegeOverUnder
    DJ COOPER

Quote Originally Posted by dozer View Post
    also, i am the best on this site hands down.
    and apparently dozer is a bulldozer lmao

pimike
    SPORTS IS MONEY
    pimike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 90060

Duke is always an elite team. Oh wait add that tomorrow.

Lol

NinjaShoes
    NinjaShoes's Avatar Become A Pro!

i enjoyed reading this...that is all

CollegeOverUnder
    DJ COOPER

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaShoes View Post
    i enjoyed reading this...that is all

ty

Jrod124
    Update your status
    Jrod124's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 535

excellent writup, look forward to it becoming a weekly fixture here

agharah1
    agharah1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1191

Some things we learned:

1. I said it last week but its even more apparent now: ALL of college basketball is down this year. The sheer volume of suck that has taken places in the past 2 weeks has been unprecedented.

2. Jimmer Fredette is an outstanding offensive talent...but BYU is still a lousy defensive team. Pit or no Pit, giving up 54 2nd half points to New Mexico in the 2nd half was pretty shameful (then again New Mexico might be a whole new team now that Drew Gordon is eligible. He went 7-11 from the field vs. BYU).

3. Something is seriously wrong in the Big East. For the 2nd consecutive weekend, almost every Big East team lost at home.

4. Kansas' loss at home to Texas was a fluke, probably caused by the exhaustion of dealing with the death of Thomas Robinson's mother.

5. Texas is legit...but I *STILL* don't trust them. They're still coached by Rick Barnes, after all.

6. It is time for North Carolina to be put back in the Top 25. They have done what was asked of them these past few weeks, and through sheer attrition have risen to 2nd in the ACC.

7. Penn State is finally playing like a team full of seniors should. Maybe it was the suspension of Taran Buie, but this just isn't the same team that got crushed at home by Maryland and lost to Maine by double digits. Whether they can keep it going or whether their early losses are too much to overcome remains to be seen.

8. Jim Boeheim is dangerously close to losing his team. Between losing 4 in a row, and cameras catching freshman Dion Waiters telling Coach Boeheim to "f__k off" during their blowout home loss to Seton Hall, they're becoming very dysfunctional. Boeheim blamed his team's effort for their losses while steadfastly refusing to change up their zone defense, despite it getting torched by Seton Hall, one of the worst shooting teams in the conference. The key to beating Cuse, it seems, is turn the game into a jump shooting contest.

9. Speaking of jump shots, FSU's shooting problems plagued them yet again in a loss @ Clemson. I took some flak from FSU fans for claiming they're poorly coached, but how else can you explain Chris Singleton still playing like a raw freshman? How else can you explain having Michael Snaer a McDonalds All American point guard and committing 15 first half turnovers?

10. Coming back from down 14 at halftime to beat Colorado at home wasn't enough to get Baylor back in the field. They're probably behind K-State and now Nebraska on the bubble, too.

11. We go through this every single year. Utah State almost never plays road games east of the Rockies, much less east of the Mississippi. Then they roll through the WAC regular season en route to a 26-2 record, and lose to either New Mexico State or Nevada in the semifinals of the WAC Tournament, forcing the Selection Committee to decide if a team with 0 RPI Top 100 wins deserves an at-large bid. Playing @ Georgetown this year was a good start but USU has to toughen its schedule if they want an at large.

12. Alluding to point #1: 1985 was the first year the field expanded to 64 teams. It was also the year the lowest-seeded team to win the tournament happened in #8 Villanova. In light of this year's suckitude, could we see a First Four team make it to the Final Four right off the bat?

I'mAWinner
    I'mAWinner's Avatar Become A Pro!

Everyone is this thread did a super job with info.

Soxsfan9
    Update your status
    Soxsfan9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 91

Great info in this thread, keep it up!

homerbush
    homerbush's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3780

By the time you wrote this hadn't Florida Atlantic already lost to W. Kentucky?

homerbush
    homerbush's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3780

The CAA's parity at the top is going to be what keeps them from getting multiple bids if it keeps up. What are going you to have? A conference tournament winner and then a bunch of teams with 5 conference losses. Thst would be one bid unless someone starts to separate themselves.
    Last edited by homerbush; 01-30-11 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Grmmar

CollegeOverUnder
    DJ COOPER

Quote Originally Posted by homerbush View Post
    By the time you wrote this hadn't Florida Atlantic already lost to W. Kentucky?
    you might be write sir I started writing this during the middle of the week and just kept notes on what I was going to have to add I might have missed that one though sorry

thfootball
    thfootball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7659

I've tried following a couple handicappers with their picks and lost everytime. Go figure

DblDeuce
    DblDeuce's Avatar Become A Pro!

That discipline and money management is just as important as winning.

CollegeOverUnder
    DJ COOPER

Quote Originally Posted by DblDeuce View Post
    that is correct

pimike
    SPORTS IS MONEY
    pimike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 90060

Quote Originally Posted by DblDeuce View Post
    Exactly.

agharah1
    agharah1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1191

Truer words were never spoken.

JT OZ
    JT OZ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Great writeup but I don't see how Providence or Penn State becomes ranked this week.

CollegeOverUnder
    DJ COOPER

Quote Originally Posted by JT OZ View Post
    Great writeup but I don't see how Providence or Penn State becomes ranked this week.
    I release this on Saturday nights and Providence lost to Seton Hall today so they are out of consideration obviously now. Penn State has beating 3 ranked opponents lost to Ohio State by 3 points and lost ot Purdue by 1 point

survive
    and advance
    survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8560

great stuff, i enjoyed reading!

CollegeOverUnder
    DJ COOPER

Quote Originally Posted by survive View Post
    great stuff, i enjoyed reading!
    your welcome!