crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

b.u.s.t.

he showed what a selfish ballhog he was cause there were 25 nba scouts in attendance.

jagaf22
    jagaf22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 28

Great college player, entertaining, humble, he'll be successful at something. It's irrelevant if this guy becomes are great or even average pro. This is what makes college basketball great!

I'mAWinner
    I'mAWinner's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't know if he's the best of all-time, but Jimmer is solid ! He's one of the best to come along in a very long time. As long as he goes, so does BYU.

tanner40
    tanner40's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8060

As others have said, Pistol Pete's scoring #'s will never be touched

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 304

Is he better than Glen Rice? I doubt it.

jagaf22
    jagaf22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 28

Quote Originally Posted by tanner40 View Post
    As others have said, Pistol Pete's scoring #'s will never be touched
    Agree best offensive college player of ALL time is a pretty bold statement.

katstale
    katstale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    Pistol pete would avg about 10 more points, b/c he played in an era without the 3 point line.
    This. He would have never needed to come inside at all. Not taking anything away from anybody else, but Pete was a freak with the ball. He would have scored more and had more assists as people attempted to guard him out that far. Sometimes to remind myself of how crazy good he was I pop in a tape/dvd and just sit with my mouth open.

Jimmy Proffett
    Jimmy Proffett's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 954

Prisoners of the moment itt.

I enjoy watching Jimmer and all, but he's not the GOAT.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1710

He looked great last night, I was impressed but right now he's barely a 1st round pick according to the "experts"

Obviously if he was black and played on a big program he'd be a top 3 pick.

Christina33
    Christina33's Avatar Become A Pro!

Pretty cool name he has

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 304

Quote Originally Posted by Christina33 View Post
    Pretty cool name he has
    Sounds like these fancy coffees at Starbucks. Frappe or something like that.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68207

Pistol Pete was in another galaxy.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32799

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Maravich may have averaged 50.0 points per game with the short college 3-point line.
    Best ever to play college ball.
    Could have averaged 60 + ppg

legendmatt34
    legendmatt34's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 83

Not bad for a white guy..

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Dont forget the nba is a totally different ball game

You got guys that are very strong and BLACK, taller and more athletic

I mean he sure looks good, kind of like Mark Price, Scott Skiles, Heinrich all into one

Holdin Aces
    Holdin Aces's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 542

I think you are getting a little carried away. Jimmer is a beast but best of all time? Doubt it. Redick was a better shooter, I agree that he didn't have the handle and can't drive like Jimmer but don't forget Redick was doing this against ACC competition and you can never forget his outburst against #2 Texas. I am only saying Redick because I see him being like Redick in the NBA. I'm not even arguing that Redick is the best but Redick put up these same numbers against better competition. The best scorer I have ever seen in college is Glen "Big Dog" Robinson. I don't think you can ever argue what Pistol Pete did and is hands down the best college scorer ever. With all of this being said I hope like hell Jimmer keeps up the pace and wins player of the year and turns out to be unreal in the NBA but I am very skeptical.

Carseller4
    Carseller4's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4817

Breifly browsed through this thread, and was happy to see Pete Maravich mentioned many times.

k13

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...coring_leaders

90% of them turn out to be garbage.

The last 10 to 20 years. The list is even uglier.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

If they are white they rarely amount to anything

I hope the kid does well though

Lets see how far he can take BYU

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19443

One great game and he's the best of all-time? He could be a decent NBA player or he could be the basketball version of any Boise St. QB the last ten years.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21413

Is he actually going to be a point guard at the next level, or converted to the 2 guard? I want to see him try to guard Derrick Rose and Chris Paul.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

He can't guard Derrick Rose, or Chris paul. Add Kevin Durant, and Lebron James.

Do you wanna know why? B/c no one can. The guys playing in the NBA currently can guard the. Hence the reason why those guys avg 20+ points per games.

To say someone can't guard the best players in the nBA is an unfair standard, and borderline moronic.

I don't get why people say, such and such player won't be able to guard in the nBA. Nobody plays defense. OK like three teams play defense(Spurs, Lakers, and Celtics) and its not individuals playing denfnse. Rather a team effort.

zephyr
    zephyr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 581

If Pistol Pete had some decent basketball shorts, he'd have scored 65 a game.

I heard a legend about Pete. When he was a kid, his father would make him shoot freethrows every evening. He was not allowed to stop and come in the house until he made 10 in a row. But then his father figured out that wasn't such a great exercise. Pete was purposefully missing the tenth shot so that he could stay outside and shoot some more.
    Last edited by zephyr; 01-27-11 at 12:51 PM.

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5224

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Dont forget the nba is a totally different ball game

You got guys that are very strong and BLACK, taller and more athletic

I mean he sure looks good, kind of like Mark Price, Scott Skiles, Heinrich all into one
    this is actually kinda a good point....

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on

Quote Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
    this is actually kinda a good point....
    If Nick Collison// Nenad Kristic/ Mike Dunleavy/ Foster/ Earl Watson// J.J Berea// Derek Fisher // Jason Williams ... The list goes on

But IF they can play for a # of years in the pros, than Jimmer should not have a problem transitioning

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5224

i dont think j-fred is gonna have any problems at all in the NBA, i hope my wizards pick him up.

i think JJ was saying the college game may have been more slack defensively back in the day.

lyon804
    lyon804's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1011

All I am saying is I have seen it all before Houli. Funny thing is I am white and more skeptical than you are. Jimmer is fun to watch and super talented but consider his size and competetion level. He will def. play in the NBA but will not be a star. How much better could he be than JJ Redick was in college?? As good as JJ is he is just a bench player in the NBA.. JJ Redick is the leading scorer in ACC history. That is saying something. Even so he had to develop in the NBA as a useful bench player... Don't get me wrong I am all for the great white hope becoming something in the NBA. But look around, how many white guys you see in the association and what are they doing? All white guys can shoot the ball but they struggle to defend and rebound. If Redick was a better defender and rebounder he would start because he is still a dead eye shooter. In the end Redick is a very wealthy guy and I am sure Fredette will be as well.

In case any of you forgot how good Redick was at Duke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHOI_tKzR7I

Jimmer might have more handles but no way can he out shoot Redick. Also there are many other of these clips on youtube than just outclassing#2 Texas who had at least 3 NBA players on there team if I am not mistaken.

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15224

Maravich averaged over 44 ppg all four years with no three point shot

Maravich's longstanding collegiate scoring record is particularly impressive when two other factors are taken into account. First, Maravich played before the advent of the three-point line. His long-distance shooting skill thus produced far fewer points than would have been the case in a later era. Years later former LSU head basketball coach Dale Brown charted every college game Maravich played, taking into consideration all shots he took. Brown calculated that at the NCAA rule of a three-point line at 19-foot (5.8 m), 9-inches from the rim, Maravich would have averaged thirteen 3-point scores per game, lifting the player's career average to 57 points per game.

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

Will play NBA for sure---guy is talented------after a few years getting comfy with the league hell be helping RUN a team

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

Pistol Pete was 1 of a kind--legend---a god to players with a dream---hard to compare to that but kid can play ball----looks like hes played white boy proson ball for years!!!

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on

Steve Nash is white, and played against inferior competion @ Santa Clara.

2 time NBA MVP

John stockton White. HOF

Larry Bird, best Celtic of all time.

Redick is a three point shooter. He doesn't handle the ball, or pass at an elite level. Jimmer is able to create seperation. He is clever with the ball, and is able to excel even though the talent around him is far inferior.

If I'm the Miami Heat I trade my next three years of draft picks to get him.

k13

Quote Originally Posted by Emily_Haines View Post
    Maravich averaged over 44 ppg all four years with no three point shot

Maravich's longstanding collegiate scoring record is particularly impressive when two other factors are taken into account. First, Maravich played before the advent of the three-point line. His long-distance shooting skill thus produced far fewer points than would have been the case in a later era. Years later former LSU head basketball coach Dale Brown charted every college game Maravich played, taking into consideration all shots he took. Brown calculated that at the NCAA rule of a three-point line at 19-foot (5.8 m), 9-inches from the rim, Maravich would have averaged thirteen 3-point scores per game, lifting the player's career average to 57 points per game.
    Pete was great but if he played today I doubt he'd even sniff 30ppg...

spargament
    KHABIB
    spargament's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 367

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post

Pete was great but if he played today I doubt he'd even sniff 30ppg...
    He'd be close to the same. Adam Morrison did his thing a few years back.

I grew up near and had the chance to see Durant in highschool, his year at Texas to me was unreal. It was watching Mcgrady (in his prime) mixed with Jordan, and a great 3 point shot all in one.

nj6
    nj6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2592

Maybe but he isn't an adam morrison because he creates his own shot. he will suck in the pros.

C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

Every time there is a great white college basketball player this discussion comes up.
    A) He's going to be good because of his ability to shoot.
    B) He's going to suck because he isn't athletic enough ( he's white).
    C) Look at all the crappy white failures that came before him.

Yet when a black quarterback in college football does well we have the same discussion.
    A) Cam Newton, Vince Young or whoever is going to be good because of his running ability
    B) He's going to suck because he can't pass and makes poor decisions.
    C) Look at all the shitty black quarterback busts that came before him

Same shit different toilet

First 123 Last