bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Greg McDermott is the new coach of ISU

that was one damn fine hiring for ISU. they needed a coach like him in that program.

Iowa State hires Northern Iowa's Greg McDermott as head coach

By LUKE MEREDITH, Associated Press Writer
    March 21, 2006

AMES, Iowa (AP) -- Northern Iowa coach Greg McDermott was hired Tuesday by Iowa State, jumping from the Missouri Valley Conference to the Big 12 after three straight NCAA tournament appearances with the Panthers.

McDermott, 41, was at Northern Iowa for five season. Before his arrival in 2001, Northern Iowa had made one appearance in the Division I NCAA tournament.

McDermott replaces Wayne Morgan, who was fired Friday after the Cyclones missed the postseason with a 16-14 record. The terms of McDermott's contract were not immediately available.

Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard interviewed two candidates: Wisconsin-Milwaukee's Rob Jeter and McDermott.

McDermott is a native of Cascade, Iowa, and played at Northern Iowa. He spent seven seasons as a Division II head coach, six at Wayne State College and one at North Dakota State, before joining Northern Iowa.

The Panthers went 90-63 under McDermott and finished 23-10 this season, losing to Georgetown on Friday in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

Northern Iowa has won at least 20 games the last three seasons, a first in the school's history.

clonecat
    clonecat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 798

Great x's and o's coach, just a little worried about his recruiting. Says he is going to keep all the kids from Iowa "in state". Iowa not a hot-bed of talent for basketball.

However, he does have excellent young talent that he can grow for his first few years at Iowa State. They will make the tourney next year.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

i feel with the ISU facilities he has at his disposal. i feel he will be fine at recruiting players just fine.