I'mAWinner
    I'mAWinner's Avatar Become A Pro!

Team Of The Week: TENNESSEE

If the Big East is the top conference in the country, as the league's coaches have professed recently, what is Tennessee? The Vol's have beaten the conference co-favs-- Pittsburgh and Villanova--away from Knoxville. Tennessee must be considered one of the contenders to get to the Final Four in Houston, and it's has emerged as the SEC East favorite.

Try to find two better wins than the Vol's have right now; it's probably a futile task. Tennessee won the NIT Season Tip-Off on Nov. 26 with a 10 point win over the Wildcats in NYC. This past saturday in Pittsburgh, the Vols dominated the Panters from the opening tip in a 7 point win.

Tennessee's schedule continues to be challenging, with Oakland ( a one point loser to Michigan State ) up next, then a road game at Charlotte. USC and Memphis will visit in the next month, a trip to UConn on Jan. 22 is also on tap. The Vol's might end up with a top-five strenght of schedule in March. Don't forget Head Coach Bruce Pearl must sit-out the first 5 games in conference play.

Vol_Bengal
    Vol_Bengal's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by I'mAWinner View Post
    Don't forget Head Coach Bruce Pearl must sit-out the first 5 games in conference play.
    Everything else you post is spot on... but I'm about 99 1/2% sure it is the first 8 conference games. Equates to 1/2 the conference schedule.

chaseman
    chaseman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 562

Quote Originally Posted by Vol_Bengal View Post
    Everything else you post is spot on... but I'm about 99 1/2% sure it is the first 8 conference games. Equates to 1/2 the conference schedule.
    Yes, first 8 games. As a Tennessee homer, I agree with you I'mAWinner
    On a side note, did anyone see the fouls being called on the Vols during the Pitt game? Pitt was at 1-and-1's with 12 minutes to go in the first half. The Vols did make some careless fouls at first, but the calls got worse and worse. The end of the first half was ridiculous, and nearly the entire second half was absolutely absurd. First half ended 14 fouls on Tenn, 5 on Pitt. Total game foul count was 32 on Tenn, 24 on Pitt---but 7 of Pitt's 24 were in the last 2 minutes when they were trailing. Tenn couldn't breathe on a Pitt player without getting called. I've never been so angry during a game while dominating another team like we did.

I'mAWinner

Yes it is 8 games, I made a mistake ! As you can tell I'm not the best typer, but it's 8 games starting with Tennessee first SEC game.

diaboliquesaint
    diaboliquesaint's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 116

Do you think 12 points is too much against this oakland team? I'm so tempted by the vols but you seem to say that oakland are a decent team? I thought the vols would be far too good for them but an insight would be nice!

chaseman

In past years under Pearl, the Vols have played on the level of their competition. So if they played a good team, they played well, and if they play a bad team, they played badly. This year has been slightly different because it is a different type of team. In past years, Pearl has had this team in a full court press and scoring lots of fast break points--because it has been a smaller, quicker team. This year we have a bigger team, so we've been playing more traditional, slower, let-plays-develop type of ball.

That being said, the Vols have been playing so well this season they should beat Oakland by 15-20. However, Oakland has been playing very well against good teams this year and may show up here tonight in Knoxville. I lean Oakland +points, but this is a no-play for me. The best spots to play the Vols are when they are underdogs and/or when they play other really good teams.

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

yea i was leaning towards oakland seems like they've been playing everyone real tough this year

balls2wall
    balls2wall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6601

As a VOLS fan, I am biased and whatever I say must be taken with a grain of salt. With that being said, I have been pretty spot on with my UT analysis so far (football).

UT wins the game outright. I don't know if they cover. The 12 points seems pretty close to what it should be. If a gun were put to my head I would have to go with UT. They have been playing really well. -12 may have been a good line at Pitt last week so that at home against a non top 5 team seems pretty reasonable. With that being said, it could be a let down spot for them. However, I love the recent Pearl quote “I’ve got a chip on my shoulder and so do they,” Pearl said. “When we get beat it will be because somebody outplays us and not because we’re not ready for them.”

Pearl's teams play their best with their backs against the wall and the whole world is against them. This year they have been backed into a corner more than ever before and they have picked up their game in response. They were picked 4th or 5th in the SEC East this year, which I still can't figure out!!

I would only put a unit or two on either side of this, but would have to go with UT if I had to.

GO VOLS

chaseman

What a run by the Vols to close out the first half!!!

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19428

Does anybody know why their is no 2h wager available on this game?

I missed the tip off, and I wanted to wager the second half.
    Nobody has one.

Hammew
    Hammew's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 300

Quote Originally Posted by darrell74 View Post
    Does anybody know why their is no 2h wager available on this game?

I missed the tip off, and I wanted to wager the second half.
    Nobody has one.

There is a 2h line available Tenn -4.5 and 81.5

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19428

Thanks for the effort.

My 3 accounts didn't have it. (Wagerchief, Rebatewager, Betjamaica)

CollegeOverUnder
    DJ COOPER
    CollegeOverUnder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 217

Oakand is overdue there bound to upset one of these powerhouses Tenn got Oakland at a bad time IMO

chaseman

Yep. Tennessee came out super cold in the second half and never got going. Here come the "Tennessee is overrated" threads/ESPN articles. I'd lean more toward Oakland being underrated. Outplayed the sht out of us in the second half. Props to Oakland. Go Vols.

CollegeOverUnder
    DJ COOPER
    CollegeOverUnder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 217

Tennessee is a team I never have liked im not gonna say they were overrated but im not gonna say there an elite team either.

Oakland is an underrated team that has gone through hell with there schedule. Probably the 2nd hardest out of conference schedule in the country behind gonzagas.

homerbush
    homerbush's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3780

Yeah Oakland was due as they have been in most of these games. Year and year Oakland always plays a tough out of conference schedule and it is really going to pay off this year.

utmoody10
    utmoody10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 725

Thats the SBR jinx for ya. Hopson reverted back to his disappointing self and the defense was nowhere to be found for the Vols. Skylar McBee should keep the seat next to Tyler Summitt warm and I hope Maymon being eligible next game will help Steven Pearl see less minutes. Really frustrated with that effort from the Vols, was very similar to the exhibition game against Indy.

chaseman

Tennessee had the #1 RPI coming into tonight.

I'mAWinner

Wow !

balls2wall
    balls2wall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6601

Congrats to Oakland and any Oakland backers last night

If they make it to the big dance they will be a team that no one wants to draw in the first round.

I was feeling good at halftime then the Vols decided to sleep walk through the second half.

I hate the loss, but in the grand scheme of things it was probably actually needed as a slap in the face and a wake up call.

hope some of you cashed on Oakland