BrentCrude
    BrentCrude's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Do ya think the Jimmy V dealie goes to far on ESPN?

The guy was a rogue where he was like Pigpen in Charlie Brown where a black cloud of dirt hung over him ethically.So just because he died of cancer it now makes him a saint?I don't get it.God rest his soul that he was entertaining in the form of an ass clown like Dick Vitale.There is only so much of that screaming be positive BS one can take though.In Arizona on ESPN satellite ESPN seems to cut the NHL off the crawler for score reports but they have a special notch on the crawler for Jimmy V.

rake922
    rake922's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2105

Jim Valvano is the most important person to ever die from cancer in the history of mankind

MrExacta
    MrExacta's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 80

yes it seems to get a little more annoying each year.

I love the day games and all the gambling opportunities it brings though.

MrExacta -`

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Are you kidding? The guy had cancer. Made a monumental speech when given an award. He pretty much summed up what cancer is about and how there needs to be a cure. He could barely move. Coach K and Vitale had to carry him off of the stage. It's a big deal

KingKolzig
    KingKolzig's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 487

it will go on every year forever, "omg they abandoned jimmy v" will never be heard. get used to it.

Richkas
    Richkas's Avatar Become A Pro!

yes

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 304

If Magic Johnson didn't take any drugs and died from AIDS and before he died made a speech like Jimmy V he would have been immortalized too. Some people become more famous after they die and people 500 years from now will know who Jimmy V is but probably no one will know who Magic Johnson was.

WhatAboutMeBitch
    WhatAboutMeBitch's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    If Magic Johnson didn't take any drugs and died from AIDS and before he died made a speech like Jimmy V he would have been immortalized too. Some people become more famous after they die and people 500 years from now will know who Jimmy V is but probably no one will know who Magic Johnson was.

I'm trying to understand what you are saying and what your logic is.....

Magic won't be famous and be unknown because he didn't die BEFORE Valvano? Does this mean that no one will ever be more famous than they were before their tragic death if they didn't die before Valvano?

I wouldn't and want feel bad for Magic regardless of when he dies anyways. He got Aids by cheating on his wife. Here's to Arthur Ashe, a man that got Aids from regular ole homo butt sex!!!!

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

i think people are MUCH more likely to know who magic johnson was than jim valvano 500 years from now

it's just like mohammad ali, he was universally hated by the media until he got sick, now he's a hero just because of something beyond his control

i think the heroes among us are those that stand up to tyranny, or those that do good for society, not just people that may or may not be decent people who get sick and/or die earlier than expected

yes espn goes too far, every dollar that goes to so-called cancer research (radiation/chemo drugs that have never cured cancer in anyone and never will) would be much better spent informing the public about the importance of vitamin d and superfoods

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Definitely too much overkill

No one can relate to him anymore

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 249

He put a heroic face on cancer and cancer research and his foundation continues to fund great strides in cancer research. He might indirectly save one of you "Haters" lives one day.
    Points Awarded:

Willie Bee gave EmpireMaker 19 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: will2survive, and Willie Bee

milwaukee mike

Quote Originally Posted by EmpireMaker View Post
    He put a heroic face on cancer and cancer research and his foundation continues to fund great strides in cancer research. He might indirectly save one of you "Haters" lives one day.
    i don't think any of us has hatred for jimmy v or his foundation but if that's what gets you through the day thinking you're better than anyone with a different opinion so be it

my point was that $80 million later what has changed? nothing
    even $80 billion later nothing will change except doctors and drug companies getting richer promoting a sick-care system that extends life in pain and misery, rather than a health-care system that promotes happy healthy living

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15224

I liked it better when it was just a one day deal but if it brings in more money by extending it to a week I have no problem with it.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

his speech still gives me goosebumps and inspires me to not get cancer.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 304

Quote Originally Posted by crustyme View Post

milwaukee mike

"his speech still gives me goosebumps and inspires me to not get cancer."

by far the best post of this thread

MBENZ
    MBENZ's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10203

Quote Originally Posted by crustyme View Post
    I didn't know you have a choice,cancer can strike anybody at anytime no matter how much you do to try to prevent it.I think his speech was more directed at no matter what your fate and what life deals you,never give up.

homerbush
    homerbush's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3780

What makes me more upset is when I turn on gameday on Saturday mornings and have to listen to 110 minutes of emotional stories and then 10 minutes of relevant sports talk. I hear enough about that crap all week in real life I want my sports to be sports. Noe to contradict myself the Jimmy v stuff does not bother me.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

If the tourney in Valvano's memory bothers you, then don't watch it. It's really that simple.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: will2survive

milwaukee mike

willie if nobody commented about things that bothered them this forum would only have 1/100th the posts and john wouldn't make any money

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

one of the ESPN guys said about prostate cancer: "it's not a matter of if you get it, it's a matter of when. 1 in 6 men get it."

So 1 out of 6 is suddenly all? Talk about shaky math.

Jim Valvano was a hero, though.

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11653

its a worthy cause so can't complain at all.

Living The Dream
    Looks like an Underdog Week 2!
    Living The Dream's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 761

He doesnt have to be relevent anymore. He has accomplished more in death than any of us will accomplish in our lives. He died an honorable death and every year still raises a ton of dough for cancer research. I hope to God it never comes to this, but if I have a child get ill with cancer and $1 of what he has raised cures or enables my child to live a normal life, then the man is a saint in my eyes.. How many families have had time extended because of him already? How many lives have any of you saved???

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    i don't think any of us has hatred for jimmy v or his foundation but if that's what gets you through the day thinking you're better than anyone with a different opinion so be it

my point was that $80 million later what has changed? nothing
    even $80 billion later nothing will change except doctors and drug companies getting richer promoting a sick-care system that extends life in pain and misery, rather than a health-care system that promotes happy healthy living
    Actually we're much better at treating/curing cancer than we were in the almost 20 years since he died.

THE PROFIT
    THE PROFIT's Avatar Become A Pro!

there will never be an available cure for cancer, I mean there is one, but its not available in stores!!! So they can mask all this fukin research all they want, anyone with sense knows better.

shopbar picks
    shopbar picks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22623

Its an 11min 33 sec speach. If that doesnt make you laugh, think and cry. You are not paying attention.

BrewMaster
    BrewMaster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1945

Quote Originally Posted by EmpireMaker View Post

Agreed. I view Jimmy V more as a fearless fighter of cancer more than a sports icon. He was inspiring and now his story gives hope to all cancer patients. Personally, I am involved in the medical field and I can tell you that many of my colleagues don't know who he even coached for, but they do know his remarkable fight against cancer and recall his notorious speech.

Jimmy V every year. Donate!

Boscoe
    Boscoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 488

it's human nature to go overboard when somebody dies. been like that since the beginning of time.

Duff85
    Getting ready for Japball
    Duff85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4007

I'm sure there are many members of SBR who have had or been touched by cancer. Many more unfortunately will be. My personal story is of losing one of my ears to a tumor as a 21 year old. I've been in remission for almost five years now, and I am amazed at the advancements in medical science to prolong the life of those who are unfortunate enough to be diagnosed with this devastating disease. If guys like Jimmy V and Lance Armstrong can help to keep the disease front and centre in the public consciousness and this in turn raises funds to further develop treatments and medicine, along with care facilities and other things to improve quality of life than it is well worth turning the attention away from the game for a while.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 3 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: yisman, jjgold, and pavyracer

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Duff85 View Post
    I'm sure there are many members of SBR who have had or been touched by cancer. Many more unfortunately will be. My personal story is of losing one of my ears to a tumor as a 21 year old. I've been in remission for almost five years now, and I am amazed at the advancements in medical science to prolong the life of those who are unfortunate enough to be diagnosed with this devastating disease. If guys like Jimmy V and Lance Armstrong can help to keep the disease front and centre in the public consciousness and this in turn raises funds to further develop treatments and medicine, along with care facilities and other things to improve quality of life than it is well worth turning the attention away from the game for a while.

Nothing to say

22dsnyd22
    22dsnyd22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 817

dont ever give up. Never give up!!

redore33
    redore33's Avatar Become A Pro!

As sick of that as I am of Lennon! The 3 tragedies that affected me the most, JFK, Challenger, TB giving up 21 pts in 5 min. to Manning & the Colts.

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9605

if you don't like it turn off the tv

THE PROFIT
    THE PROFIT's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 View Post
    if you don't like it turn off the tv

Or as I always say, if you don't wanna see it stick your head up your ass!

milwaukee mike

i don't think it's a matter of turning off the tv
    we are constantly bombarded with misinformation about cancer treatments, giving money to "cancer research" doesn't really do any good - NO drugs are produced because of cancer foundation funding, and NO equipment is purchased at hospitals because of this.

drugs are developed by large drug companies because they can make money off of them, plain and simple.

elizabeth edwards is just one of the millions of people (my mother included) that lived a painful and miserable life before ultimately dying because of chemotherapy.

http://www.naturalnews.com/030673_El...motherapy.html

12 Last