allana111
    allana111's Avatar Become A Pro!

First transgender athlete to play in NCAA basketball

George Washington University junior Kye Allums will play women's basketball again this year. But he will now play the role of a brother, not a sister, to his teammates.

Everything will be the same when he takes to the court in the university's season opener later this month. Just that Allums, 21, will be identified as a man, becoming the first openly transgender player in NCAA Division I basketball.

"This means a lot," Allums said in a statement. "I didn't choose to be born in this body and feel the way I do."

The 5 foot 11 inch guard from Hugo, Minnesota, said the university has been supportive of his decision. But he will not be permitted to undergo testosterone therapy as long as he is competing.

A report last month from the National Center on Lesbian Rights and the Women's Sports Foundation provided guidance on the matter, saying that transgender student athletes "should be allowed to participate in any gender-segregated sports activity so long as that athlete's use of hormone therapy, if any, is consistent with the national governing body's existing policies on banned medications."

Robert Chernak, senior vice provost at George Washington, said the university is fully accepting of Allums decision to live as a male student.

"Kye has informed the university that he will not begin any medical or drug protocols while a student-athlete," Chernak said. "Kye will continue to be a member of the women's basketball team.

"Kye has informed his teammates, and the university, with Kye's consent, has informed athletics staff and others, as appropriate."

Allums grew up as a tomboy and later tried behaving and dressing the way teenage girls do, according to an interview with Outsports, an online gay sports site.

"I decided to transition, that is change my name and pronouns because it bothered me to hide who I am, and I am trying to help myself and others to be who they are," Allums said in his statement.

In his sophomore year, he began telling people he was a man trapped in a woman's body.

"I told my teammates first, and they, including my coaches, have supported me," he said. "My teammates have embraced me as the big brother of the team. They have been my family, and I love them all."

Pride
    rally rally rally
    Pride's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 200

good for him

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Was he unable to get gals as a guy and thought this might be the best way to meet chicks, as a lesbian college basketball player?

encephalization
    encephalization's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 182

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Bee View Post
    Was he unable to get gals as a guy and thought this might be the best way to meet chicks, as a lesbian college basketball player?
    Did she not change the other way around? From girl to guy?

F'd up either way..

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss
    sideloaded's Avatar Become A Pro!

Not funny guy. People think it's cool to rip on people like this when in fact it's just as bad or worse then being racist.
    Last edited by sideloaded; 11-04-10 at 03:27 PM.

Willie Bee

Quote Originally Posted by sideloaded View Post
    Not funny guy. People thinks it's cool to rip on people like this when in fact it's just as bad or worse then being racist.
    So would THIS be an example of religious intolerance?

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

So would THIS be an example of religious intolerance?
    Yes I'm very intolerant of fairy tales called religion. How does that equate with being intorent of people? But why are you trying to discredit me? Did I hit a nerve with some truth I stated?
    Last edited by sideloaded; 11-04-10 at 09:26 AM.

Willie Bee

No, didn't hit a nerve. I admit to not being very understanding of people who want to change genders. As for how referring to all religions as 'fairy tales,' how could that not be intolerant of people on your part?

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

Well because religion is an organization of thoughts, People are living things.

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

No, didn't hit a nerve. I admit to not being very understanding of people who want to change genders. As for how referring to all religions as 'fairy tales,' how could that not be intolerant of people on your part?
    Let me ask you this, what would you call the church of the flying spaghetti monster? Maybe a fairy tale? Now ask yourself what is the difference between the church of the flying spaghetti monster and all other organized religions?

pronk
    pronk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Not funny guy. People thinks it's cool to rip on people like this when in fact it's just as bad or worse then being racist.
    People like this? This butch Kye needs a good psychiatrist, that's all. "She didn't chose to be in that body"- what a crock of shit! What if this butch decides she is a dog or a monkey? Are you going to help that schizo?

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

Quote Originally Posted by pronk View Post
    People like this? This butch Kye needs a good psychiatrist, that's all. "She didn't chose to be in that body"- what a crock of shit! What if this butch decides she is a dog or a monkey? Are you going to help that schizo?
    Really I'm not going to argue with people like this. Do some research. And maybe you wouldn't look like such a bigot.

pronk

What research? Stop kidding yourself my friend. These people are mentally ill!

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

What research?

pronk

Shouldn't you be more comfortable in baboon's body?

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss

Shouldn't you be more comfortable in baboon's body?
    You got me, you definitely won this argument.