dave11486
    dave11486's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 777

Buckeyes Might Deserve That Fourth #1 Seed

If the Buckeyes win out in the regular season against Purdue and Northwestern, and then go on to win the Big Ten Tourney, they should get that fourth #1. They play in the 1st or 2nd hardest conference depending on how you measure conferences (Big Ten has #1 RPI, Will have second most tourney teams) and they overall RPI is #5. Nothing against Memphis, but the Buckeyes have been for real for a while, and it will show in the Tournament. Who would love to see a Villanova/Buckeye matchup? The two best perimeter threats in the nation.

Ok, bottomline is if you have seen the buckeyes play their fair share games you would agree with me. Just a thought.

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wrong. If you have watched Memphis play their fair share of games you know exactly why they will receive the #1 should they win out.

dave11486

The best measurement of good teams has always been, whom they play and how well they fair against them. So, in that case after what you said, the 24-1 GW Colonials should get the #1 seed because they have a better record and essentially just as good(bad) conference as Conference USA. Hey they are undefeated in conference play too. But God knows GW does not deserve that #1 seed, so what makes Memphis so special? They beat the Zags(Morrison), but that really says nothing.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hard to make a reasonable argument for a #1 seed, but I could see this team making the Final 4. They've got a big time big man, good shooters, and a great coach. The future is bright in Columbus.

isetcap

Once you get past all the hype, Memphis has the NCAA's best overall player and a solid cast around him. Beyond that, Ohio State has 4 losses to opponents that are all lesser opponents than the 2 teams to which Memphis lost. There's no way in hell you can justify giving them a 1 seed over Memphis if the Tigers win out. I'm almost upset with myself for even entering into this discussion.

dave11486

Quote Originally Posted by isetcap
    Once you get past all the hype, Memphis has the NCAA's best overall player and a solid cast around him. Beyond that, Ohio State has 4 losses to opponents that are all lesser opponents than the 2 teams to which Memphis lost. There's no way in hell you can justify giving them a 1 seed over Memphis if the Tigers win out. I'm almost upset with myself for even entering into this discussion.
    Notice you said lost to two opponents, instead of winning. Memphis is great, but wait until they get back in the real mix. Can they put up Ws instead of Ls b/c frankly thats all that matters. Conference USA has the 13th best RPI, Big Ten has the 1st. No matter which way you slice it, winning the Big Ten means a whole lot more. Hell, winning the Big Ten Tourney too, thats at least the top #2 seed. Means O-State could be playing Memphis in the Elite 8.

isetcap

If they win out, they should be perfectly happy with a 2 seed. That gives them every opportunity to win the Tournament if they really are that good.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think they have an outside shot at a number one seed...damn good team...well coached as well...#2 seed for sure...

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

if they run the table in the regular season (which they should) and win the big10 tourney. i feel they should be considerd for that #1 seed.