Tigers1230
    Tigers1230's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Please explain late fouls to me!!!!

Over and over again I see teams who are down double digits with 15 seconds left fouling. I don't get it and never will. I bring this up because I'm sure most of you saw Baylor foul with 2 seconds left when they were down 6!!!!! I have no idea what goes through these teams minds. I know fouling in the final minute or so to see if you can hit a three or get a turnover but when your down and there is no possible way to win I just don't see the point.

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

I had Baylor +7.5. Apparently they were hoping for a 9-pt. shot at the buzzer to win.

rjt721

Happened again with OU +7.5. Down 2 with under a min. left they lose by 8. Same scenario as Baylor... they foul down 6 w/ 3 sec. left. Beaten by the hook twice. Brutal.

diogee
    fadeable flamingo
    diogee's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yeah no kidding...makes me wonder sometimes.

hi-rez
    hi-rez's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is the worst....I find myself on the wrong end of the foul and throw more often than not....at least it seems that way!!!

Quebb Diesel
    Quebb Diesel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 82

extends the game for the team losing...sucks though...buuut the same kind of situation happened to me tonight on a 10 team teaser...kansas was covering at -14 with like 20 seconds left and they let colorado get a salvaged dunk to win by 13 and me not covering...im glad msu lost today b/c i had them on the card too making the card 7-2 with asu +11 left. i wouldve been pissed if the only reason i didnt hit 625 was the lack of defense in the closing seconds of that game

DrunkenLullaby
    DrunkenLullaby's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'll explain it to you as soon as someone explains to me how/why night after night teams that are down 3 with seconds remaining are allowed by their opponents to get off (and very often make) 3 pt attempts as opposed to sending them to the foul line for 2 FTs.

Quebb Diesel
    Quebb Diesel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 82

unwritten rule or something? i NEVER see it happen

DrunkenLullaby
    DrunkenLullaby's Avatar Become A Pro!

The answer is simple. Almost all coaches in all sports have zero understanding of simple probability.

This, more than anything else, is what separates Belichick from the pack. The guy has at least some clue of what can be gained by attempting to convert 4th and short as opposed to the downside.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Tigers1230 View Post
    Over and over again I see teams who are down double digits with 15 seconds left fouling. I don't get it and never will. I bring this up because I'm sure most of you saw Baylor foul with 2 seconds left when they were down 6!!!!! I have no idea what goes through these teams minds. I know fouling in the final minute or so to see if you can hit a three or get a turnover but when your down and there is no possible way to win I just don't see the point.
    It's ten times worse come conference and NCAA tournament time. Final two minutes can last a half hour sometimes.

rjt721

OU +7.5 was a disgusting loss today. Sooners covered for the first 39:57, only to lose by 8 after A&M hit 2 FTs in the final seconds.