tab
    tab's Avatar Become A Pro!

Miss St -5.5

The spread seems very inflated in this game as it seems like the oddsmakers want Miami to cover this spread. Miami is 8-0 but really has not played much competition this season. Nor has Miss St. Only reason that they are 5.5 point favorites is last year Miss St defeated Miami by a score of 70-52. I think against an undefeated team (Miami), the oddsmaker set the spread somewhat higher because if the spread was 2.5 or 3 point we would see a lot of money on Miss St. The oddsmaker set the overinflated spread at Miss St -5.5. THe oddsmakers know that Miami will lose the game but they hope for the backdoor cover especially if there is a lot of action on Miss St. Again this may be one of those sucker games because we as gamblers like to bet on favorites. Does anyone else have any insight on this game.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Well, line is also inflated beacuse Mississippi Stae has one of stronger home courts. They are 28-6 SU and more importantly 25-9 ATS in lined home games the last three years, and they usually kill non-conference opponents.

That said, they are just 2-2 ATS at home this year and already have an outright home loss to Clemson, also an ACC school like Miami.

I am not playing this game personally, but would lean Miami +6.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yeah you definitely take the points here I think. Probably passing on a side myself. I do really like the under though at 132.5. Two pretty strong defenses statistically speaking at least.

buztah
    buztah's Avatar Become A Pro!

I am on Miss State ML.

perhapsnot
    perhapsnot's Avatar Become A Pro!

I've got Miami in this one. I think they match up well with a good post presence to frustrate MissSt. big man Rhodes. Miami has been rebounding and hitting threes. Would be a fun game to watch.

regularguy
    regularguy's Avatar Become A Pro!

Here are some things I've dug up about Miami going into this game:

- Miami is outscoring opponents by an average of 15.6 points (Miss. State's differential there is 10.0 pints (I mean points)).

- Miami's defense is stout (overall defense ranked 30th; road defense ranked 17th).

- Miami is shooting well from 3-point range.

- Miami has a good win over Providence, and I also like their win over St. Johns.

- Miami has battled their way to the verge of getting into the top 25 (they're about 26th now). They can smell it.

- Miami's preseason schedule has actually been pretty tough (two RPI polls apparently have them with the nation's 14th toughest schedule to date).

I don't like Miami having to go into Starkville for this (nothing personal against Starkville). However, I see that the students are on winter break at Mississippi State, and $10 tickets will be available. Maybe it will be a little bit quiet for this Thursday night game.

I'm thinking there is some value in a play on Miami plus the points.

(By the way, I recommend LT Profits' good front-page writeup.)
    Last edited by regularguy; 12-13-07 at 01:08 PM.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Under 137 is what I wound up going with. Toyed with Miami ML, but decided not too.