ppdougla
    ppdougla's Avatar Become A Pro!

ppdougla picks (complete noob)

Yo kids, I've always been a big college basketball fan, and I'm close to it as a student at UNC-Chapel Hill...I want to try some betting, and I'm sure I'll be a disaster like most people...regardless, I'm gonna post some picks here, and if you're experienced and you think I'm making a sucker's bet please let me know...conversely, if you think my picks are solid, let me know too

ppdougla

St. Bonaventure +15.5
    Buffalo +1.5
    Pitt -5.5
    Syracuse +8.5
    Creighton +11
    South Alabama -4
    Western Kentucky -6
    Vanderbilt -10.5
    Denver +13
    Gonzaga -3
    Charlotte +6
    Murray State -7.5
    Boise State -5.5

I'm aware this is far too many picks, and I won't bet them all...I'm just looking for some feedback...thanks in advance

Cougar Bait
    2010 Poster of the Year
    Cougar Bait's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3289

Pitt, Creighton, and Gonzaga look like solid plays. Denver is +13 for a reason. But the public likes it, I just saw that line move to +11.5. I'm still up in the air about that Vanderbilt game. GL tonight!
    Last edited by Cougar Bait; 12-05-07 at 11:38 AM.

perhapsnot
    perhapsnot's Avatar Become A Pro!

As to the games i'm also on...

I'm with you on Creighton (although Xavier is unpredictable) and i'm heavily on Buffalo.

I'm leaning toward Duquesne on your Pittsburg pick.
    Pitt hasn't played anyone this year. It may be a shock to their system. Duquesne lost to a good Drake team on the road. I'm thinking this should be within 5 points.

ppdougla

well if i cover my last game (gonzaga -3), then ill have had a positive first day...thanks for the feedback

ppdougla

after the gonzaga game, i posted a -1.54 unit day...not so hot ...here are my picks for today

Providence -3.5
    Illinois-chicago -5.5
    Butler -10.5
    Eastern Illinois -1
    Northern Colorado -1

any and all feedback is appreciated

regularguy
    regularguy's Avatar Become A Pro!

I like the Butler pick (see my thread on that).

The Northern Colorado pick might work, although I'm not going to bet it. Northern Colorado apparently has some injury issues. You should go read JPound's thread for his thoughts no that game.

I'll say that you should be careful with that Eastern Illinois pick. You've got a team there that has not won a game, and that has not even come any closer than 6. They are 0-5, 1-4 ATS. They have not scored over 60 in a game. About the best you can say is that this is their home opener, and they are playing another weak team. But, that's not enough for me. I don't think we can tell how bad they are.

The other two games ... no opinion. The lines look about right to me.

Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by regularguy; 12-06-07 at 01:03 PM.

mrbig
    mrbig's Avatar Become A Pro!

That EIU line is shady. I know this team and they will be playing very hard to get their first W, but I would think they should be dogs in this game. They just don't have the talent. With them being -1 I'm not sold.

ppdougla

ok ive gotten a lot of resistance to EIU, so i took that one out...ive added in Rider +3 though...i like that line a lot

Cougar Bait
    2010 Poster of the Year

Check out Jpound's thread for injury updates on the N. Colorado/Bowling Green game...

perhapsnot
    perhapsnot's Avatar Become A Pro!

We're all on Butler....eek.

I'm on the other side of the Providence pick...going with S. Carolina +3.5

SC is ticked off about losing to Clemson in their last outing and will come out strong this game,imo. They've played some excellent teams, losing to USC, GM, NC state and Clemson.
    They've crushed the teams they should beat, and have a win against Penn State.

Providence is also a good team, losing only to teams with combined 16-1 records. They have been exceeding expectations, but i think they are outmanned here.

If SC doesn't come out slow, i think they win this game.

ppdougla

so after more research and jpound's injury info...the only plays i made tonite were, 1 unit each:

Butler -11
    Illinois-Chicago -6

Cougar Bait
    2010 Poster of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by ppdougla View Post
    so after more research and jpound's injury info...the only plays i made tonite were, 1 unit each:

Butler -11
    Illinois-Chicago -6
    Didn't mean to turn you off a win there man, I wasn't on that Bowling Green play, but I thought the injury info was very relevant. Going with your gut is often times the way to go...

ppdougla

its cool house...i appreciated in the information

I went 1-1 yesterday for a -.09 unit loss

YTD: 7-8-0 for a -1.63 unit loss

I'm gonna take the day off from picks i think, bc i dont see any lines I really like. I'll see if I can get some better spreads with Portland or Loyola (Md), but I doubt I'll be playing tonite. Hopefully I'll have something to hold my interest on saturday

ppdougla

Late with my picks today because of final exams, but here are some of the later lines that caught my eye

Michigan State +3 (1 unit)
    Duquesne +14 (1 unit)
    NC Charlotte +4 (1 unit)
    Syracuse -5 (2 units)
    Gonzaga -18 (1 unit)
    Santa Clara -4.5 (1 unit)
    Pitt -3 (2 units)

I'll also be looking to make a 2 unit play Montana State around +15 when the line comes out on bodog

I've seen a lot of people taking the opposite against me on other threads...but let me know if you know something I don't or think im making a complete sucker's bet (high probability)

ppdougla

Only went 1/3 on my big plays yesterday, but 4/5 on my small plays means I made a modest profit for the day

5-3 +.06 units
    YTD: 12-11 -1 units

nothing finalized, but looking to bet a combination of niagara, eastern washington, st. joes, kansas state, temple, providence...tomorrow...we will see

ppdougla

Picks for the day (posted a little late, sorry):

Niagara -1
    Kansas State -2
    St. Joseph's +7.5
    Eastern Washington +2
    Villanova -3
    Washington State -18.5

(all 1 unit plays except for 'Nova at 2)

ppdougla

posted a +.72 unit day with a 3-3 record, but winning my 2 unit villanova play

plays for today:

Vanderbilt -4: 3 units
    Cincinnati -19.5: 1 unit
    Santa Clara -6: 1 unit