regularguy
    regularguy's Avatar Become A Pro!

Washington State at Baylor - thoughts?

This, to me, is the interesting game today.

Everyone jumped on Washington State at -1.5, and it moved. It's at 3 last I looked. I say that at +3, Baylor might be the bet.

Look at the stats. Baylor has an edge in 3-point shooting, and on defense. Baylor is at home, and the locals must be excited about this team and about having such a highly ranked Pac10 team coming to town. I think the home court might be significant in this one.

Neither team has any terrific wins. Notre Dame, Winthrop, and Wichita State for Baylor. People point to Air Force as Washington State's good win. Careful with that. Air Force has also been beaten by Colorado and Montana. I'm afraid Air Force might turn out to be mediocre this year.

Baylor might turn out to be more of a story this year than Washington State.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this one yet. Strikes me as a last minute bet on Baylor if anything.

I just wanted to get a thread going, and see what the thinking is.

Last edited by regularguy; 11-30-07 at 12:08 PM.

Cougar Bait
    2010 Poster of the Year
    Cougar Bait's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3289

You should check out Ballin's thread for Nov. 30. I thought he had some pretty good insight on this one. I'm leaning Washington St. here. If the number keeps climbing I'll lay off the game.

perhapsnot
    perhapsnot's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm layin' off this one. S'pose if i had a free bet, it would be Baylor.

regularguy

BTH: Thanks for pointing me to Ballin's thread. He makes some good points there, especially about the tempo of the game. I'm still thinking.

Ballin
    Ballin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by regularguy View Post
    This, to me, is the interesting game today.

Everyone jumped on Washington State at -1.5, and it moved. It's at 3 last I looked. I say that at +3, Baylor might be the bet.

Look at the stats. Baylor has an edge in 3-point shooting, and on defense. Baylor is at home, and the locals must be excited about this team and about having such a highly ranked Pac10 team coming to town.

Neither team has any terrific wins. Notre Dame and Wichita State for Baylor. People point to Air Force as Washington State's good win. Careful with that. Air Force has also been beaten by Colorado and Montana. I'm afraid Air Force might turn out to be mediocre this year.

Baylor might turn out to be more of a story this year than Washington State.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this one yet. Strikes me as a last minute bet on Baylor if anything.

I just wanted to get a thread going, and see what the thinking is.

Obviously I have Washington St at -1.5 and think it is a steal. Let me ask you a question, if Baylor were to win, would people consider it an upset? Now if Washington St wins, would people consider that an upset? Obviously the 1st questions answer is yes while the 2nd questions answer is no. If these 2 teams were to play 10 times, I am really confident that Washington St would win 8 of them. I'll take those odds and play them at basically a pick to beat a team that they are better than. If Baylor wins tonight, then I got beat by an "upset" and I'll realize that even though I lost, I was on the right side as I don't bet a team and hope they pull an upset. I bet on the better team in hopes that they take care of business like they should. BOL with whatever you decide. (Oh and BTW, I feel confident in Washington St all the way to -5 but -1.5 is a steal IMO)

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't think the tempo argument holds that much for this game. Baylor got practice for that vs. Wichita State albeit vs. a much less talented team than Wash State. Wash State has also been taken out of their half court tempo against teams that like to play fast - see Boise State. I think both teams are comfortable playing at either tempo. For me, this game is a perfect one to pass on. I don't like to wager $$$ on these types of games where you "find out about" the teams. Maybe the total depending on where it falls, but not a side. GL to you guys.

regularguy

Thanks for the input Ballin and EP36.

Ballin: It seems you know the Cougars well. I appreciate the info. To answer your question, you're right -- it would be considered an upset if Baylor wins. I think a lot of that is a function of the past, with Washington State coming off a very good year, and Baylor still not done rebuilding after being completely decimated 3 or so years back. I think it also has to do with Washington State's awesome backcourt. I'm a believer in good, veteran guards, and Washington State epitomizes that (Baylor's are not bad at all though). Looking at it this way, it does make a bet on the Cougars to cover this small spread a reasonable move. After this game, and the next, they may well have some very good wins to support that ranking.

Good luck.
    Last edited by regularguy; 11-30-07 at 12:43 PM.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

I think Wash St. Is a steal at -3 or better. . .

regularguy

I decided to sit this game out. Without a bet on it, I will be pulling for Washington State. I never much liked Baylor, and I'd like to see y'all hit this one. Good luck.

idontlikerocks
    idontlikerocks's Avatar Become A Pro!

i'm tryin wash state not just because ballin likes it but because wash st has a lot of votes in the coaches poll and baylor has just 2, probably not the greatest of arguments but another piece of the puzzle.

ChuteBoxe
    27+1 = 2011
    ChuteBoxe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 228

I took Wash. St. -2 @ -105 on BetJam. Hoping for a win here myself.

ChuteBoxe
    27+1 = 2011

Not looking good at all. Baylor is up by 12 at the half. Anyone know if they're a good comeback team in the 2nd half?

gummo
    Bearcats
    gummo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1195

Nice call on Baylor. But I think I will take WSU -3 for the 2nd.

methdmron
    methdmron's Avatar Become A Pro!

i'm in for WSU -3 2d half too!

perhapsnot
    perhapsnot's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ballin...
    You convinced me (after reading all your persuasive arguments) to bet on WA. I regretted it for the last hour and a half....... and then they pull it out at the wire. Thanks!!!

ChuteBoxe
    27+1 = 2011

Phew...That was a heart attack of a game. I think that one must've taken at least 6-8 months of my life expectancy. lol. Regret watching it! Congrats though to everyone that had WS!

regularguy

Nice job, Ballin!!! You were all over this game, and it payed off. I much appreciate your insight, and your willingness to write it up and put it out there.