mrkron
    mrkron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

I don't understand the letdown factor of being an NIT pick

People say that teams are going to have a letdown by not being in the "big dance". I can't buy it fellas. If you are a true gamer every game is a new beginning, a must win, and a chance to prove yourselves. I played hockey at a very high level college and beyond (not NHL) and played on some pretty bad teams. We (I) never heard or played with anyone who packed it in even when our season was over and we had no chance to go to the post season. If you are a true gamer (which you really need to be to play Div 1 sports) I think you try your best always.

iceminers26
    iceminers26's Avatar Become A Pro!

I too played Division 1 hockey and professionally as well and totally disagree with your side of the argument. If you don't buy it, just go back and dig up the stats of teams that were on the bubble of the ncaa tournament and how they did in the NIT, I will go out on a limb and say not that good. The majority of these players think they are better than what they actually are and that the NCAA Tournament is what the season is all about, then when they don't get in, they pack it in for the season.

mrkron

I still don't buy it. I know stats support it but maybe those team's just weren't that good in the first place. You should know from playing. Did you ever pack it in? I really can't say i ever did. BTW if you don't mind where did you play? I played OHL (did you play for Plymouth - logo) and then had a few stints in the ECHL before I had to get a job. Working for a living sucks.

iceminers26

Quote Originally Posted by mrkron View Post
    I still don't buy it. I know stats support it but maybe those team's just weren't that good in the first place. You should know from playing. Did you ever pack it in? I really can't say i ever did. BTW if you don't mind where did you play? I played OHL (did you play for Plymouth - logo) and then had a few stints in the ECHL before I had to get a job. Working for a living sucks.
    I would tell you my real reason why I feel they pack it in compared to hockey players not packing it in, but I don't want to start shit in here.

As for where i played, I played in the Red Wings organization for their AA affiliate Flint Generals for 2.5 seasons before blowing out my knee.

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

lol...ice that funny....bottom line is you get kids that feel its there right to be in the dance every year now they in a tourney no one gives a shit about, yes a lot of them pack it in....ive played tons of sports on tons of teams and while im to damn competitive to not always be going all out i played with many little fuks that clearly were disinterested when the game wasnt as important

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

getting to the big tourney is such a huge stage.... national tv, millions of viewers, small school players become stars in the tourney.... its 100 times bigger than any other game they will play in at that level..... to have all your physical and nervous energy for a year go into making to the dance and especially in the last 2-3 weeks where that's all ANYONE around is talking about.... and then miss out by a milli-second (in miss st.'s situation)

its tougher than we can imagine...

it might be like. you finding out you were gonna get a weekend of sex with jessica Alba on in 3 weeks... and then that friday night came, and it was nancy pelosi instead

mrkron

Did you get a chance to play with the broad goalie? What about Kevin Kerr? Guy was a legend played like 20 season in the ECHL, Old Colonial hockey league and UHL before becoming the IHL. I played with him in Cincy for awhile. And yes hockey players might be a different breed

iceminers26

Did you get a chance to play with the broad goalie? What about Kevin Kerr? Guy was a legend played like 20 season in the ECHL, Old Colonial hockey league and UHL before becoming the IHL. I played with him in Cincy for awhile. And yes hockey players might be a different breed
    LOL, Kerrsy was my coach for 1 season, great guy Bobby Reynolds was the coach the other season and a half.

talnted
    talnted's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Its a let down for any big schools in big conferences. For many schools however the NIT is not a let down at all

iceminers26

Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    lol...ice that funny....bottom line is you get kids that feel its there right to be in the dance every year now they in a tourney no one gives a shit about, yes a lot of them pack it in....ive played tons of sports on tons of teams and while im to damn competitive to not always be going all out i played with many little fuks that clearly were disinterested when the game wasnt as important
    Not what you think Banker, I was referring to maturity since hockey players are normally 20 to 21 their freshman season as opposed to 17 to 18 year old college basketball freshmen who think they know everything and are very immature. I don't know about you, but I grew up a ton from 18 to 21.

mrkron

Quote Originally Posted by iceminers26 View Post
    LOL, Kerrsy was my coach for 1 season, great guy Bobby Reynolds was the coach the other season and a half.
    Ok I got about 20 years on ya then

iceminers26

Ok I got about 20 years on ya then
    Kerrsy is a good guy, from what I hear he was a great scorer in his playing days, he has the numbers to back it up that's for sure.

mrkron

Yeah he was. I only played with him for a bit before i was packing. I believe he was a winger and netted quite a few. Miss those days even though I had no money i had a ball. Bobby Reynolds doesnt ring a bell