tailin junkie
    tailin junkie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16990

Quick question

My bookie was traveling so he wanted the two elite 8 games in early yesterday (1:30 pm est). My question is: do you think a line of Michigan -3 was a fair line? I bet Florida state and everywhere I checked I didn’t see Michigan lower than -4. I know he wasn’t sure where the line was going to settle when he set it but I feel like I was on the right side and got screwed. Do I have an argument?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

close call

what really is a bad line there is no rule

NLChad11
    NLChad11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2345

It's his book, so fair or not he sets the line and it's up to you to decide. The thing is, you were not on the right side. Unfortunately you had +3 so you lost, but Florida St is full of morons so they didn't foul with 9 seconds left down 4 points. So even if you had it at +4 you should've lost but people that did got lucky and pushed. Michigan was the right side all day long. I had Michigan -4 and got screwed with a push because Florida St didn't foul because they're full of players that can barely spell their names.

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    close call

what really is a bad line there is no rule

True. And this is why books should not be allowed to use the 'bad line' excuse unless it's several points off.

But in this case, you would have won if you had taken Michigan.

tailin junkie

Thanks guys. I know I’m wrong, just sour grapes.

mrpapageorgio
    mrpapageorgio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3869

If he was willing to take -3 had you went with Michigan instead, then no. I did see the line hit -3.5 on some books yesterday so I don't see it being egregious.

NLChad11
    NLChad11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2345

Quote Originally Posted by mrpapageorgio View Post
    If he was willing to take -3 had you went with Michigan instead, then no. I did see the line hit -3.5 on some books yesterday so I don't see it being egregious.
    Agreed. I also saw -3.5 but I didn't pull the trigger until -4 unfortunately.

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14296

If you had taken Michigan-3 you would of won.

tailin junkie

I also would have won but I already admitted I was being salty. I didn’t say anything to my guy and am not going to so I’m moving on.

SBR Tony
    SBR Tony's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2969

really can't use the excuse of a bad line here because he's talking about a Local. and a Local on the go to boot !
    so we are talking Mickey mouse here, a guy playing bookie that has no real office

if he feels that you are leaning one way, he's going to shade that line to his advantage

knew a guy many years ago would call a local place, and if he wasn't looking for a run down, he would ask about games with a single team name.

for example last night's game, instead of asking what's the line on the Fl. st / Mich game, he would say, " what do you have on Michigan ? "
    the guys in the office knew he was looking to bet Michigan, so they would shade the line by at least a hook

Now I'm not saying they do this everywhere, but I've seen a lot of things over the years like this

SBR Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Bostongambler View Post
    If you had taken Michigan-3 you would of won.
    this is true

mrpapageorgio
    mrpapageorgio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3869

Quote Originally Posted by SBR Tony View Post
    really can't use the excuse of a bad line here because he's talking about a Local. and a Local on the go to boot !
    so we are talking Mickey mouse here, a guy playing bookie that has no real office

if he feels that you are leaning one way, he's going to shade that line to his advantage

knew a guy many years ago would call a local place, and if he wasn't looking for a run down, he would ask about games with a single team name.

for example last night's game, instead of asking what's the line on the Fl. st / Mich game, he would say, " what do you have on Michigan ? "
    the guys in the office knew he was looking to bet Michigan, so they would shade the line by at least a hook

Now I'm not saying they do this everywhere, but I've seen a lot of things over the years like this
    So then wouldn't you call and just say the team you're looking to bet against (reverse psychology)? I.e. (Looking to bet Michigan) "Hello, what line do you have for Florida St.? +2.5? Ok, I'll take Michigan then -2.5"

HockeyRocks
    HockeyRocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6014

This is a good reason to have an on-line book...

SBR Tony

So then wouldn't you call and just say the team you're looking to bet against (reverse psychology)? I.e. (Looking to bet Michigan) "Hello, what line do you have for Florida St.? +2.5? Ok, I'll take Michigan then -2.5"
    Yes, you can do it that way as well. or ask for the game by both teams

Had a guy back in the late 90's that would call the office and complain about the clerks, back then we had mostly girl's
    he would say the same girl would answer the phone and give him a bad line. I told him that well we have 8 girls here and how do you know
    it's the same one, and why would she give you a bad line. He would say because she hates me. lol

What he didn't realize was that every time he called he would ask for a run down, and a few games would change ( Duh ! )
    and that was his bad line complaint

fourlokobro
    fourlokobro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1413

I had Michigan -3 at a local bookie

magaman
    Update your status
    magaman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

Quote Originally Posted by Hman View Post
    True. And this is why books should not be allowed to use the 'bad line' excuse unless it's several points off.

But in this case, you would have won if you had taken Michigan.
    personally I books should all wagers that are confirmed regardless. It's their job to get the number right and fix it quickly if it is not.

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 53

Quote Originally Posted by Hman View Post
    your masters might have something to say about that and take away your minimum wage pay

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

You lost, don't really get the question. Locals can make whatever line they want. When I had a local he always shaded the penguins playoff lines.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Of course.

There was a time where how you talked to the bookie mattered oh so much.

The good ole days.

We were posting about this some time back, talking about some of the subtle tricks of the trade.