KRIT
    KRIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20364

John Beilein

Beilein is one of the most underrated coach in college hoops. Top 5 coach in college hoops right now. I'll probably get hate, but give me him over Izzo if I need a coach for one big game.
    Points Awarded:

Money23 gave KRIT 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

I was hoping Syracuse were in their bracket because Ive seen what he does to that zone when he has time and a couple practices, would be a miracle if they met though.

magaman
    Update your status
    magaman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

Quote Originally Posted by KRIT View Post
    Beilein is one of the most underrated coach in college hoops. Top 5 coach in college hoops right now. I'll probably get hate, but give me him over Izzo if I need a coach for one big game.
    hmmm... hell no

He is doing well, but no accomplishments. He needs to earn something before you pop off saying silly stuff like that. Izzo is a fixture in the field of 16 and 4. HOFer

magaman
    Update your status

you also have to consider that Michigan gets its share of 4-5 star recruits... MSU almost specifically does not. Izzo wants guys he can coach and teach and keep for 4 years.

Izzo definitely the better coach

champlain
    champlain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4860

Coaching, he’s top 5 no doubt. He doesn’t get the star recruits like other coaches but in terms of offensive mind, he’s great.

krk1030
    krk1030's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4884

Great in game coach.

TeddyB
    TeddyB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 807

The team that won the big ten championship two years in a row is more successful than a team that goes to "the" tournament unless they win it all.

jtoler

Quote Originally Posted by magaman View Post
    you also have to consider that Michigan gets its share of 4-5 star recruits... MSU almost specifically does not. Izzo wants guys he can coach and teach and keep for 4 years.

Izzo definitely the better coach
    Beilein my fav coach since Pitino is no more, used to have them 1 and 2. I remember you saying that about Mich. St. before and its simply not true, all of their players are 4 and 5 star recruits. Michigan's this year not sure but Id be willing to bet there are more 3 and 4 stars on that team.

magaman
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    Beilein my fav coach since Pitino is no more, used to have them 1 and 2. I remember you saying that about Mich. St. before and its simply not true, all of their players are 4 and 5 star recruits. Michigan's this year not sure but Id be willing to bet there are more 3 and 4 stars on that team.
    to be honest I really don't follow the recruit rankings so close... but a good friend of mine does. He tells me that UM constantly has a much higher ranking recruiting class - every year.

magaman
    Update your status

I agree Beilien is a good coach - but he has not earned anything yet. I would call it potential

jtoler

to be honest I really don't follow the recruit rankings so close... but a good friend of mine does. He tells me that UM constantly has a much higher ranking recruiting class - every year.
    He could be correct overall. I just remember looking up State's roster for this year and was a little surprised myself, but yes they were all 4 or 5 star recruits at least the ones that get playing time.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

Quote Originally Posted by champlain View Post
    Coaching, he’s top 5 no doubt. He doesn’t get the star recruits like other coaches but in terms of offensive mind, he’s great.
    Coach K
    Izzo
    Roy Williasms
    Bill Self
    Jay Wright
    Shakka Smart
    Mark Few
    Huggins
    (I csn't stand him, but I have to list him) Jim Boeheim

All come to mind before Beilen

Is Belein a top 20 coach?
    Yes.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Refs were calling a lot of BS fouls against Michigan. You can kind of tell the refs were keeping this game close... and keep Michigan in foul trouble... for unknown reasons. Hmmmmmm

TeddyB
    TeddyB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 807

I think you forgot Calipari somewhere in that list.

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head
    DOM_Toretto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 989

Love you KRIT.

MSU homer here, hate Michigan with a passion. penetrate Michigan.

But I agree, Beilein is a great coach and super underrated. Beilein is like the Mark Dantonio of hoops. And Beilein owns Izzo.

magaman
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyB View Post
    CAlipari is a HORRIBLE in-game coach. He blows so many games that should be won. He is the undisputed best recruiter over the last 15 years... but not so great over the last 3 years.

magaman
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by DOM_Toretto View Post
    Love you KRIT.

MSU homer here, hate Michigan with a passion. penetrate Michigan.

But I agree, Beilein is a great coach and super underrated. Beilein is like the Mark Dantonio of hoops. And Beilein owns Izzo.
    DOM what the hell are you talking about? Beilein has been in AA since 2007 so that is over 10 years now. Sure he has been eating sparty for lunch the past couple years, but I know that it was the opposite for the prior 8 years.

I agree Beilein is a good coach, but no way in hell I would take him over Izzo

krk1030
    krk1030's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4884

CAlipari is a HORRIBLE in-game coach. He blows so many games that should be won. He is the undisputed best recruiter over the last 15 years... but not so great over the last 3 years.
    There is more to coaching than in game.

Look at his team 2 months ago vs now. Guys dont just get better on their own. He did an amazing coaching job to get this team where it is now.

magaman
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by krk1030 View Post
    There is more to coaching than in game.

Look at his team 2 months ago vs now. Guys dont just get better on their own. He did an amazing coaching job to get this team where it is now.
    agreed this year was a good job. I seem to always recall Coach Cal making really dumb coaching errors in tight games.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyB View Post
    Yes I did.
    Brain fart.

jtoler

Let's not forget Bei was 7 pts away from a chip in 2013.

KRIT

Im not talking about coaching accomplishments or what a coach did 10 years ago. I'm strictly talking about Beilein as a coach right now. He gets his kids ready to play and he runs great offense and can teach defense.

Beilein already took Izzo to school twice this season with a fraction of the talent that Izzo has. If Beilein got major NBA players like Izzo, Coach K and Roy get, then I bet you he'd have plenty of accomplishments to his name.

magaman
    Update your status

Im not talking about coaching accomplishments or what a coach did 10 years ago. I'm strictly talking about Beilein as a coach right now. He gets his kids ready to play and he runs great offense and can teach defense.

Beilein already took Izzo to school twice this season with a fraction of the talent that Izzo has. If Beilein got major NBA players like Izzo, Coach K and Roy get, then I bet you he'd have plenty of accomplishments to his name.
    It is what it is. UofM is a big time school, and if he could recruit better he would have those players, but he does not. Beilein now has B2B big ten champs, so its been a good 2 years. This also coincides with Wagner... we will see how things are going forward.

KRIT

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Coach K
    Izzo
    Roy Williasms
    Bill Self
    Jay Wright
    Shakka Smart
    Mark Few
    Huggins
    (I csn't stand him, but I have to list him) Jim Boeheim

All come to mind before Beilen

Is Belein a top 20 coach?
    Yes.
    Hard to rank Roy, Izzo and Coach K because they constantly get 5-star recruits and one and dones. Lets be honest, me or you could probably coach Michigan State or Duke to the sweet 16 right now, those teams are loaded. Of the group of elite coaches, I think Izzo I give the most credit to because I've seen him take scrubs to the final four, like what he did a few years ago.

Shakka is off the list now, he has done nothing at Texas.

Few is legit. He'd be on my list of top 10 coaches right now.

Self is hit or miss. I've learned to respect him a lot more this season with what he has done. I love that he plays Graham 40 minutes, most coaches would be too scared to do that.

Huggins is awesome but he hasn't been elite for a while now. I do give him credit for mainly getting JUCO kids and 3-star recruits.

Beilein is the real deal. He is probably my favorite offensive coach. Beilein runs a free flowing offense that is simple. Pick and Roll with Wagner and the ball handlers all day. He doesn't over complicate it. Talent wise, this Michigan team probably isn't even in the top 25. Other than Wagner, it's just a bunch of guys. He doesn't have 1st round picks throughout his roster.

Like I said, he already went into East Lansing and beat a team that probably has two lottery picks on their team.

Everyone talks about the obvious names like most have stated. Beilien is super underrated. Another favorite of mine is Mike Brey, that guy can coach.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

these guys all have great players

it is not coaching

The big schools always win

KRIT

Where are all the izzo backers now? Barely beating a weak Cuse team. Only reason MSU is even in the game is their second chance points. Pretty sure offensive rebounding is all the players.

KRIT

Where are the Izzo backers. Like I said, Beilein over Izzo all day.

magaman
    Update your status

I cannot argue... Izzo has been under-performing since inducted to HOF in April 2016. Today was atrocious.

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head
    DOM_Toretto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 989

I’ll take Beilein in an instant

Izzo NEEDS to be fired for this.

magaman
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by DOM_Toretto View Post
    I’ll take Beilein in an instant

Izzo NEEDS to be fired for this.
    I agree - but you know it will not happen. It will take many more years

KRIT

Give me Izzo almost over any coach if we are taking about mediocre talent. But man does he struggle when he has great players.

magaman
    Update your status

Give me Izzo almost over any coach if we are taking about mediocre talent. But man does he struggle when he has great players.
    He has never done a good job as a front runner. He is not comfortable there, and he does not coach to kill teams. Lazy

bonzaii
    bonzaii's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 287

Belien doesn't get anywhere near the level of talent that Izzo gets. Only two of Michigan's starters are 4 star recruits. One of them was only a 2 star recruit and Robinson off the bench is a DIV III transfer.

KRIT

Easily a top 5 coach.

thedenthead
    thedenthead's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1843

Your argument is Michigan gets better recruits than MSU? Yea man because Michigan had recruits the caliber of Bridges and Jaren Jackson... jfc your lost, go home.

12 Last