daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Sun Belt kicks out New Mexico State & Idaho

The Sun Belt Conference will revoke the membership of Idaho and New Mexico State and become a 10-team league following the 2017 season. Both schools argued passionately to stay, but the conference rejected the pitches. What's next? New Mexico State is expected to stay at the sport's highest level, as an independent if need be. The Vandals, meanwhile, are probably looking at a tumble to the FCS level and accepting the Big Sky conference's invitation unless they're bailed out by another FBS conference. The SBC, meanwhile, is adding Coastal Carolina in 2017 to get to 10.

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Why would such an irrelevant conference kick out those two teams?

PorkChop
    PorkChop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

Thats never happened in college football before.

FBS to FCS. Will be interesting to see this

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    The Sun Belt Conference will revoke the membership of Idaho and New Mexico State and become a 10-team league following the 2017 season. Both schools argued passionately to stay, but the conference rejected the pitches. What's next? New Mexico State is expected to stay at the sport's highest level, as an independent if need be. The Vandals, meanwhile, are probably looking at a tumble to the FCS level and accepting the Big Sky conference's invitation unless they're bailed out by another FBS conference. The SBC, meanwhile, is adding Coastal Carolina in 2017 to get to 10.
    I didn't know NMSU and Idaho were in the Sun Belt conference. I knew about Troy, WKU, South Mobile, the Louisiana schools etc.

Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough
    Killer_Demo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4201

They should be FCS. punching bag teams as FBS

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Coastal Carolina is growing like crazy then will be bringing the $$$ down myrtle beach for years to come

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

Yeah, tough travel from the SE to the NE and SW like that, especially from a conference that doesn't make as much money. Idaho and NMSU are more prominent programs that a lot of the ones in the Sun Belt believe it or not, but I get why they got booted.

MWC should pick them up. It wouldn't be any kind of upgrade for the MWC, but good insurance if they lose a team like Boise in the future.

Dropping to FCS would be catastrophic. Take whatever FBS deal you can get.

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head
    DOM_Toretto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 989

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    Coastal Carolina is growing like crazy then will be bringing the $$$ down myrtle beach for years to come
    I'm constantly amazed at the number of D1 schools in North & South Carolina. As a cbb bettor I'm sure you're familiar with the 20 or so schools there. It's crazy.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

I think Idaho's stadium is a dump. It's a dome that seats about 10,000. Probably why nobody wants them.

Ralphie Halves

I think Idaho's stadium is a dump. It's a dome that seats about 10,000. Probably why nobody wants them.
    16,000 I think. (I used Idaho in dynasty mode in NCAA2014). And I've been to northern Idaho, trust me, a dome was a good idea.

Then again, it's not like South Alabama was drawing more than 10K either.

PorkChop

World famous Kibbie Dome

existential
    existential's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 168545

Quote Originally Posted by PorkChop View Post
    World famous Kibbie Dome
    it's an old naval hanger

mikewlgm
    mikewlgm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 128

Idaho would be wise to accept the Big Sky invite.....one of the best FCS conferences. And they might actually be able to have a bit of success in FCS.

PorkChop

Quote Originally Posted by mikewlgm View Post
    Idaho would be wise to accept the Big Sky invite.....one of the best FCS conferences. And they might actually be able to have a bit of success in FCS.

They are already a member in all sports except Football. Big Sky wants them bad

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

I think it's just too much trouble to travel there. Especially for other sports. Nmsu may be able to get a mwc bid down the road. When the wac folded, it left open a hole for another conference USA type out west. Until more teams are there to fill it, schools like Idaho & New Mexico State will be left without a home.

mikewlgm
    mikewlgm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 128

I think it's just too much trouble to travel there. Especially for other sports. Nmsu may be able to get a mwc bid down the road. When the wac folded, it left open a hole for another conference USA type out west. Until more teams are there to fill it, schools like Idaho & New Mexico State will be left without a home.

Idaho would fit perfect in Big Sky.....All western teams.....I think they will take it.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Big 12 needs to add both so it would be a true 12 team conference.

Ralphie Halves

I did no research, but I'm pretty sure you make a lot more money being in the FBS, no matter how bad you are in it.