CappinTerp
    CappinTerp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

A angle for the start of college hoops ?

In the off season the NCAA Rules Committee made some changes for basketball. They wanted to have a better balance bwt. the offense and defense,reduce the physicality of the sport and to speed up the game. For us gamblers the most important change is the reduction of the shot clock,from 35 to 30 seconds. Data showed that scoring last season was down about 5 points per game @ 67.5 points,2nd lowest in 50 years! So now Vegas will run their computers and figure out:how many more possessions each team will have and from that how much more scoring will be done as a result. Now add in the fact that the average gambler who bets totals, bets the over much more than the unders( IMO..prob. 70 + %) Now this is a real x factor for Vegas when pricing the totals. The way I see it, I will be looking to bet the under for selected game(s). Take this one step further.....about 15 min. before tip-off,there may be many moves in the pricing of a game...look for the moves where the total goes higher and when you think it's topped up, fade the move and go under! Some out there may agree or disagree, that's OK...feedback...anyone?? And good luck to all this season,happy hunting.

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 181

It will be interesting, I will say that scoring should go up a good percentage as more possessions like you said but before betting totals it will really be interesting on how tough the officials are on teams. One would expect to see more whistles early in the year as teams try to adapt to how the game is called. How tight refs call games and the adjustments that players make is key in my eyes.

gwills
    gwills's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 772

Will definitely be very interesting. I tend to agree, but I feel like so much is unknown with how players/coaches/refs will react.

We'll see.

CappinTerp

Quote Originally Posted by unde0087 View Post
    It will be interesting, I will say that scoring should go up a good percentage as more possessions like you said but before betting totals it will really be interesting on how tough the officials are on teams. One would expect to see more whistles early in the year as teams try to adapt to how the game is called. How tight refs call games and the adjustments that players make is key in my eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwills View Post
    Will definitely be very interesting. I tend to agree, but I feel like so much is unknown with how players/coaches/refs will react.

We'll see.
    Yea, It will be interesting . But I think Vegas will start out slow,meaning that totals for many games will not be posted or will be put up an hour or so before tip-off.

unde0087
    Did we win?

All I know is the teams hit the worst by this will be teams like Virginia imo. Teams that like to slow the pace as much as possible then play very physical defense, that approach is basically the style the ncaa is trying to take out of the game. I love it, watching games like that reminded me of watching my sisters middle school basketball, boring as hell. Basically a game of keep away
    Last edited by unde0087; 11-12-15 at 04:33 PM.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Men these clowns cannot shoot that is why lower scoring games

I say we see a few more overs but nothing drastic

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Men these clowns cannot shoot that is why lower scoring games

I say we see a few more overs but nothing drastic
    JJ actually said something smart.

CappinTerp

Quote Originally Posted by unde0087 View Post
    All I know is the teams hit the worst by this will be teams like Virginia imo. Teams that like to slow the pace as much as possible then play very physical defense, that approach is basically the style the ncaa is trying to take out of the game. I love it, watching games like that reminded me of watching my sisters middle school basketball, boring as hell. Basically a game of keep away
    0087 I remember back in the day,before the shot clock,Dean Smith and his 4 corners offense( if one can call it that) if he had a 4-6 point lead with 10 min. left in the 1st half...he would spread the corners...pass,pass,pass...ect. half time scores of 12-8 was the norm!!! .....boring as hell!!...If you got some spare time look up some of the final scores....even if you were on acid,you would shake your head!!......True story, YOU did make a very good point about UVA.......BOL I just checked 5Dimes and they have some totals posted now.
    Last edited by CappinTerp; 11-12-15 at 04:58 PM. Reason: lines up

unde0087
    Did we win?

Yep the old 4 corners, ha ha ha, glad the Heels run these days under Roy, Heels actually ran that for Dean last season, that was pretty cool

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

too many damn games

So much time...lines pretty sharp too

No idea how they do it meaning VEgas

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7799

As I heard Alan Boston say earlier in the year, if these teams can't get a good shot off in 35 seconds, why do we think they can get one off in 30? I tend to agree with him. And as far as the op's thoughts, I tend to agree as well.

CappinTerp

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    too many damn games

So much time...lines pretty sharp too

No idea how they do it meaning VEgas
    Yea, way too many games,esp. on Sat. One must break it down and follow just a few conf......For myself: Big Ten, ACC and two smaller conf. the MAC and Sun Belt. IMO- if one looks at them all, it will ware you down, put too much money at risk and you will make many mistakes.