seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Still can't get over Izzo's Hack a Dookie mentality late in game

Cost me my under on the game. Just unnecessarily fouling down by 15 instead of playing defense for two plus minutes of the game.

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Izzo doesnt give a fukk sbout your wager pal

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    Cost me my under on the game. Just unnecessarily fouling down by 15 instead of playing defense for two plus minutes of the game.
    Izzo was following Jimmy V's playbook.
    Valvano invented the 'hack a shaq' tactic of stopping the clock, putting the opposing team on the line, looking to capitalize on a missed free throw or two in exhange for a bucket or three pointer.

The 'hack a shaq' tactic has been brought up by the rules committee several times, but it's been defended.

Now Seaborn, I feel your pain, but it was painfully obvious that Coach K was going to milk 30 seconds of the clock before a Dookie was even going to think about busting a basketball move toward the rim.

Do the math, how are you going to make up 15 (between 5 and 8 possessions) if there is only 140 seconds on the clock, and Dook was going eat 30 to 34 of those seconds every possession.

Izzo had no choice, hack a shaq was his only option to extend the game.

That's the caveat of betting unders.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Valvano invented the 'hack a shaq' tactic of stopping the clock, putting the opposing team on the line, looking to capitalize on a missed free throw or two in exhange for a bucket or three pointer.

The 'hack a shaq' tactic has been brought up by the rules committee several times, but it's been defended.

Now Seaborn, I feel your pain, but it was painfully obvious that Coach K was going to milk 30 seconds of the clock before a Dookie was even going to think about busting a basketball move toward the rim.

Do the math, how are you going to make up 15 (between 5 and 8 possessions) if there is only 140 seconds on the clock, and Dook was going eat 30 to 34 of those seconds every possession.

Michigan State was never a threat to win that game after halftime. Izzo probably accepts defeat if this is a regular season game and does NOT pull that hack a dookie bs. I feel I was on the right side the entire game until Izzo's pride got in the way.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

^
    Once again, I seriously feel your pain, happened to me like six years ago with St. John's.
    Total line was like 129.5 I think, that was the year Johnnie's were all world on defense, and could not hit the ocean from the deck of a cruise ship on offense.

Game was like 59-52 with like maybe 65 seconds left at most, I think 1:02.
    Last minute went kind of like this, hack the ball handler, go to the line, hits 2 free throws, then Syracuse would play hands off on the St. John's player, he drives to the hoop in 6 seconds, makes a bunny for a layup. Now it's 115, same thing, Orange inbound, insta foul, he makes 2 shots. Johnnies inbound and hit a straight away 3 pointer. Now it's 120 with 00:49. (see where this is going....)

Long story short (which I am not capable of) 21 points in 62 or 65 seconds.

Here's a game where Coach K won playing hack a shaq down 10 with 41 seconds left.

Shane Battier scored Duke's last 6 points of overtime and blocked Maryland's final shot and the second-ranked Blue Devils beat the eighth-ranked Terrapins, 98-96, last night to extend their Atlantic Coast Conference-record road winning streak to 23 games.
    Duke (19-1 over all, 7-0 A.C.C.) trailed by 90-80 with a minute left in regulation when Jason Williams went to work. The sophomore guard, who was averaging 23.8 points over his last 13 games, scored 8 of his 25 points -- including two 3-pointers -- in a 13-second span to get the Blue Devils within 90-88 with 41 seconds to play.
    Maryland (14-5, 5-2) turned the ball over with 35 seconds left. Mike Dunleavy missed a 3-pointer for Duke, but Nate James grabbed the rebound, was fouled and made two free throws to tie the game for the first time since 26-26.
    Duke, which has won nine straight since losing by a point to No. 1 Stanford, took the lead for good when Battier, who had 20 points, started his game-closing run with a 3-pointer with 3 minutes 52 seconds to play. Juan Dixon, who had 17 points for Maryland, scored 16 seconds later, but Battier restored the 3-point lead with two free throws with 2:02 left.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 420

If they changed the rule to 2 free throws, and possession, once they hit the double bonus, this problem could be alleviated.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    If they changed the rule to 2 free throws, and possession, once they hit the double bonus, this problem could be alleviated.
    That won't stop anything. When a coach gets desperate no rule matters. The players would have played it out and just tried to make stops. That was Izzo's call to foul as soon as Duke gained possession. He was down by 20 and lost by 20. No chance to win that game in the second half

zert
    zert's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3617

How do you get the idea that you were on the right side. They scored like 20 points in the first 5 minutes of the game. There should of been 80 points scored in the first half alone. Neither team wanted to wait for the other team to set up there defense. They both wanted to shoot the first open shot when they could not to mention the fast breaks when they were there.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by zert View Post
    How do you get the idea that you were on the right side. They scored like 20 points in the first 5 minutes of the game. There should of been 80 points scored in the first half alone. Neither team wanted to wait for the other team to set up there defense. They both wanted to shoot the first open shot when they could not to mention the fast breaks when they were there.
    That game had under 138 written all over it if Izzo doesn't start acting like an ass. Duke was locking the Spartans down from the hot start on. The game was never under double digits in the second half and you start fouling on every possession is asinine. Stop the other team from scoring and put the ball in the basket more instead of trying 3 for 2 or whatever the coach speak is in that situation.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post

Jimmy V did it when the lead was a few possessions or single digits. MSU was down by 20 and lost by 20, no need to foul on every possession. Still ended up with the worse tourney loss in Spartans basketball history doing that asinine bs. YOu don't lose by 20 by accident. Izzo had as much to do with it as Duke did. If you give the team spanking your ass free shots that is just adding heat to the mess you are already in.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

did you see what they were doing in denver? they started hack deandre in the 3rd quarter. yes 3rd quarter. luckily the game was a blowout and it didn't affect the under.

but for college totals, the important numbers to avoid are being down between 8 to 12 if you have the under. most teams will start playing the foul game with two minutes left. one time kansas state was down 15 and kept fouling till the end and what should've been an easy under went way over, i think they scored close to 30 points in 2 minutes. just ridiculous...

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    did you see what they were doing in denver? they started hack deandre in the 3rd quarter. yes 3rd quarter. luckily the game was a blowout and it didn't affect the under.

but for college totals, the important numbers to avoid are being down between 8 to 12 if you have the under. most teams will start playing the foul game with two minutes left. one time kansas state was down 15 and kept fouling till the end and what should've been an easy under went way over, i think they scored close to 30 points in 2 minutes. just ridiculous...
    That was not the case yesterday. Duke was never threatened in the second half. It may have gotten to 13, may have, but no way does MSU comeback giving up layups and free throws to Duke every other play.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

kansas state was down 15 with less than 5 seconds to go and they were still fouling. what i'm saying is it all depends on the coach and the situation. if the coach calls them off, they won't foul.

that's why in college, unders are way riskier than in the nba. in the nba, you rarely get screwed in the last minute or so by the foul game.