doublek1229
    doublek1229's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4559

How does ND not play 2:1 last night?

Let me preface this by saying I had ND +11, and they won me a good chunk of change... but I am just dumbfounded by Notre Dame. They had the ball with 1:11 remaining in the game in a tie game... They proceeded to use 35 seconds of the shot clock, and after not scoring, leaving Kentucky with the ball 36 seconds left... essentially giving them the capability to hold the ball for 1, and win outright or force overtime. The rest is history, Harrison sinks 2 FT's with 6 seconds remaining and ND gets off a terrible desperation 3 as time expires.

In the NBA, you literally see teams race the ball up the court, and settle for a mediocre/terrible shot in order to get a second scoring opportunity (2 possessions for 1). As a team this year... Notre Dame shoots 50.9% from the floor! This means every other possession they are scoring a bucket... and at the end of the game in a situation like last night this is HUGE.

I do not understand why the media/announcers don't make a bigger deal about this. Instead of forcing Kentucky to shoot with 15 seconds left, and have an opportunity to set up the offense, they settle for a desperation 3 out of the corner double teamed by 7 footers.

The Irish played a great game, and I think that the strategy aspect falls directly on the coach, in this case Mike Bray. That being said I have seen countless times this year that teams don't play 2:1, and allow the other team an opportunity to win or at least take the last shot.

I would rather control my own destiny... not leave it in the hands of undefeated Kentucky.

Thoughts?

xdodger19
    xdodger19's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6219

bad in game coaching, bad math skills, unprepared

You shoot at about 53 seconds on the clock, if you miss you play D, you get two possessions Kentucky gets one.
    UC Irvine made the same mistake against the cards, same situation

This stuff is horrible because it is just simple strategy that seems to be beyond many coaches.
    Bad in game coaching. I think Vastoria needed way more touches, the kid was balling.
    Last edited by xdodger19; 03-29-15 at 09:15 AM.

JMUplayer
    Update your status
    JMUplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21752

I was thinking same thing.....you miss you don't have a chance to respond

joeye
    joeye's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 974

hard to understand. the last shot was horrible. I also had nd +11

terpkeg
    terpkeg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2434

Everything was terrible at the end. Two for five at line, the premature timeout when they were breaking the press and 29 on the shot clock, the two for one missed opportunity, the out of bounds play with one second on the shot clock and not being able to get a better look in the last sx seconds (although this is somewhat understandable). Offense went stagnant the last 4:30. They players and Bray choked.