seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Has any team ever been a number 1 seed w/o winning a conf or tourney championship?

Why play a conference schedule or tourney if it doesn't matter if you win or not? Duke is unfreaking real. This is now wrestling.

mintpicks79
    mintpicks79's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 326

Yes

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by mintpicks79 View Post
    Yes
    Who else other than 2015 Duke?

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

Technically 2012 Michigan State.

I guess they were regular season champs sort of. 3 teams tied at 13-5

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19539

Conference tourneys should all be eliminated.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHorseplayer View Post
    Conference tourneys should all be eliminated.
    What does the regular season mean then? Duke didn't win that either.

ChiLLx
    ChiLLx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9184

Apparently the "eye test" is all that matters with Duke every year.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by ChiLLx View Post
    Apparently the "eye test" is all that matters with Duke every year.
    They don't look like a championship team.

cbiscuit
    cbiscuit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1714

Sorry to say but Duke has upside going into this. Starters keep getting better as season goes along. Just question their depth.

Without googleing or researching I think Big East has had a few #1 seeds that did not win their tourney. Gtown?Syr? St Johns maybe? I'm sure their were more in other conferences.
    Last edited by cbiscuit; 03-15-15 at 10:23 PM.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by cbiscuit View Post
    Sorry to say but Duke has upside going into this. Starters keep getting better as season goes along. Just question their depth.

Without googleing or researching I think Big East has had a few #1 seeds that did not win their tourney. Gtown?Syr? St Johns maybe? I'm sure their were more in other conferences.
    How can you justify a number 1 seed if you didn't win anything? Doesn't number 1 mean you are the best in something? Your conference? Your tourney? Something? Or is it just subjective, and I think you are number 1 even though you are not? If it is there, please show me, but I don't ever remember a team being a top seed without winning a regular season or tourney championship.

krk1030
    krk1030's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4884

Because being 2nd best in the best conference is better than being the best in a crap ass conference.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by krk1030 View Post
    Because being 2nd best in the best conference is better than being the best in a crap ass conference.
    Which crap ass conference are you referring? The SEC, Big Ten, Pac 12, Big East, Big 12? Which one. Because Virginia won the conference and they are not the number 1 seed. If Duke is so good, wouldn't the team that ACTUALLY won their conference be worthy of a 1 seed too?

cbiscuit
    cbiscuit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1714

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    How can you justify a number 1 seed if you didn't win anything? Doesn't number 1 mean you are the best in something? Your conference? Your tourney? Something? Or is it just subjective, and I think you are number 1 even though you are not? If it is there, please show me, but I don't ever remember a team being a top seed without winning a regular season or tourney championship.
    LOL - I'm way too lazy tonight to do that research but I am 99% sure it has been done and I think several times at that. Teams have like 2 losses going into conference tourn and get bounced but retain #1 seed cuz like they were 28-2 or something.
    Anyway, yes, keyword is subjective. I go along with that whole body-of-work theory. Conf tourney? every year some team rises up out of midpack and wins their conf tourn, so by winning 3 or 4 in a row I don't know if they should automatically go in but they do anyway. what teams get into this tourney is the biggest discussion every year in sports and many have good opinions but in the end it is "Subjective". There is no exact science here and I doubt if there will ever be a formula which can clearly confirm which teams should be in. Let the top 32 or whatever get in and then let some of these little conference players in to change things up year to year. Not sure if OkSt and Texas should have a crack at winning it all... no more so than Murray St or even say a URI imho.

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

you are absolutely right so i will copy and paste this in another thread since i guess we gonna get 12 of them with this terrible logic and go on and on.. here let me try and see if this makes sense..

Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post

your telling me that duke wouldnt have won the pac-12 season and tourney half those last 12 years since zona or whoever did it. obviously im saying put zona in acc with pukes out of conf and you telling me duke couldnt have ran the pac-12 this season and others zona didnt do it most likely..

lets also not forget

puke beat wiscy @ wiscy and did it in damn near wire to wire impressive fashion after the 1st couple minutes of the gm where wiscy took a small lead..from there go down the list and look at pukes road and neutral site wins over 1 quality team after another. find me one team that has a resume that comes close. i dont like duke and really dont care, there no doubt they prob more likely to lose early than the other teams being mentioned but at same time if they make it to a gm against any of them other than uk and id like their chances..

maybe im wrong i dunno. but you look at who duke played and beat all over the country then beating ville @yum center, before the suspension and they were playing really well. then they beat uva @uva when uva was the clear cut 2 to uk (think that gm anderson got hurt but wasnt a huge deal in the outcome if i recall correctly). there no comparing what they did all year to the best teams. but instead you think winning a 4 day tourney against who did zona play? ucla and ducks i know, please agree duke wins that tourney if they even remotely feel like it (zona fukking stopped ducks again). puke waxed a ncst team that kinda resembling ducks, then they faced a offensive team in nd that zona hasnt seen the likes of just for the opportunity to slug it out with unc again, remember we talking about a team that already has the best wins all over all season lets not forget. so a nd team that is basically a smarter version of isu caught them and this means they should be bumped for zona who had to beat what number rpi/bpi/kp ranking compared to the teams duke played all year?

yep but they have the best post player in the country, and got a beautiful draw (that we agree they earned), it aint like zona isnt headed for a collision course with wiscy as their roads not exactly scary. id argue zags will be every bit as tough if not more for duke. only difference is duke wouldnt see uk till final (not at all after falling to zags who i feel even tho the resume doesnt warrant it they are a 1 imo)where zona/wiscy face uk in the final 4, nothing wrong with that, after winner of that gm loses to uk then zags have their shot to prob lose but who knows, i think if they can get there it be a incredible gm. what a final four right?
    so what is the problem with any of that.. please god dont let me see another post about how duke isnt a 1 because even tho they have the best wins in the country all season but lost to a red hot ND team that was really really focused on getting a place at the table in the conf tourney that somehow zona who's got like 2 great wins and 1 was against a zags team who dominated them on their court leading for the majority before choking on the road and losing in ot. yet they more deserving cause they play a bunch of 40 something and much worse teams most the time..

Pill Gates
    Pill Gates's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10831

They want Kentucky vs Duke

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by Pill Gates View Post
    They want Kentucky vs Duke
    Duke can't get to Indy as a 2 seed?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

They will never get rid of conference tournaments because they bring in a tremendous amount of money and they are much better than the entire regular-season

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why do you care? #1, #2 there isn't much difference. The only people who care about the #s next to the names seem to be the public. Teams only care about the next name in their bracket whether it's 16, 15, 6, 7, 8, 8 who the F cares.

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Why do you care? #1, #2 there isn't much difference. The only people who care about the #s next to the names seem to be the public. Teams only care about the next name in their bracket whether it's 16, 15, 6, 7, 8, 8 who the F cares.
    bingo.. i think the general consensus is there uk and 5 teams or so that will narrow themselves down to the 2 they will have to beat in the final 4 to make history.. i really dont get what the big deal is here??

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Seeds do not really mean much in the NCAA tournament

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

If seedlings don't mean anything then let Duke play Kentucky in the first round and get it over with. no number one seed has ever lost a game. Number two seeds have lost quite a few times. In horse racing your chances to win diminish tremendously in the outside lanes. At least lane assignments are supposedly random. A committee CHOSE to make Duke a number one seed without winning the conference or tourney championship, and number one seeds make the final four the most of any seed. And you still don't think seedings make a difference? Get over yourself

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6422

Why play a conference schedule or tourney if it doesn't matter if you win or not? Duke is unfreaking real. This is now wrestling.
    Best resume' of any team in the tournament. Beat Wisconsin, Virginia, Louisville, N.C., all on the road. ACC is 3rd ranked conference (RPI), behind Big 12 and Big East. Virginia would have been the #1 had they won the conference tourney, possibly even making the final. Losing Justin Anderson to injury didn't help. None of the other #2 seeds has any claim to a #1 over Duke. And I'm a Carolina fan, fwiw.

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito
    frogsrangers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5421

Big East had 3 #1 seeds in 2009, meaning one of those teams couldn't have been the regular season champ and tourney champ

meader99
    meader99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5231

Show me a team with better road wins than Duke. I'll be waiting......

ZetaPsi808
    July 2011 Poster of the Month
    ZetaPsi808's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1982

sounds like seaborneq is a duke hater here

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by frogsrangers View Post
    Big East had 3 #1 seeds in 2009, meaning one of those teams couldn't have been the regular season champ and tourney champ
    Something is wrong with that selection too. I don't necessarily remember the year, but no conference is worthy of 3 of the top 4 seeds in any year. Sounds like some of the SEC West bullshit the media tried to pull over the public's eyes this year.

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

Quote Originally Posted by frogsrangers View Post
    Louisville was both the tourney winner and the regular season champ. Both UConn and Pitt lost in the first round of the BE tourney and were still number one seeds. Weird...

The old Big East was such a fukkin stacked conference though. Its insane. That year they had 12 teams in the top 100

FUKKIN TWELVE

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Number 1 seed Duke gets SDSU and Steve Fisher, Number 2 seed Virginia gets Izzo and Mich St. Yes seeding does make a difference.

meader99
    meader99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5231

Number 1 seed Duke gets SDSU and Steve Fisher, Number 2 seed Virginia gets Izzo and Mich St. Yes seeding does make a difference.
    And Virginia went home. Guess who else went home early.....the great Villanova who lost to the 6th place team in that conference Duke plays in.

ChiLLx
    ChiLLx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9184

Oh seeding matters for sure. Duke will find that out the hard way when they have to play the strongest 5 seed by far this weekend.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6422

Not because Duke or Virginia were overseeded. Michigan State was drastically underseeded. Period.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by swordsandtequila View Post
    Not because Duke or Virginia were overseeded. Michigan State was drastically underseeded. Period.
    So were Kentucky and uconn last year

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

The answer to the original question is yes, and probably more times than some people think. The reality is that the selection committee is not as concerned with conference championships and tournament championships as it is with a team's full body of work. And it is impossible not to argue that Duke had the best collection of road wins of any team in the country this season.

ZetaPsi808
    July 2011 Poster of the Month
    ZetaPsi808's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1982

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    The answer to the original question is yes, and probably more times than some people think. The reality is that the selection committee is not as concerned with conference championships and tournament championships as it is with a team's full body of work. And it is impossible not to argue that Duke had the best collection of road wins of any team in the country this season.
    definitely

at wisky, at VA, at ville, at UNC. its pretty clear why they got the #1 seed

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19539

Duke will beat Utah easily; got down early at -4.5.

12 Last