CappinTerp
    CappinTerp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

V i r g i n i a + 2

A very evenly matched game here. Michigan St. scores 78 pts. per and gives up 66 per game.Virginia scores 67 pts. per. and gives up 56 pts. per game. Scoring margin: Mich. St. 10.6 , Vir. 10.9....you guys get the idea. I must admit that I have alot of respect for coach Izzo and think he one of best in basketball. So why all the love for UVA.? I really think they are on a roll Offensively and Defensively, their " O " is overlooked because their " D" is so great.! The Cavs gave up just 4 pts. to Memphis in last 9 min. of the 1st half . When they played Coastal Caro. they shot 53 % and 47 % from 3 pt. land. Against Memphis they shot 55 % and 45 % of their 3's. On the "O" the Cavs hold the ball for 20 - 25 sec. before even thinking of taking a shot. This will give Sparty less possessions and prevent them from scoring way below their 78 pt. avg. The Cavs rotate 8-9 guys during the game always having fresh legs and in your face "D". In fact vs Memphis coach Bennett pulled 4 of their 5 starters from game with 6:45 to go.! Mich. St. is a very good team, they like to take 3 pt. shots as does Memphis and still Mem. scored only 60 pts.( I know ST. has much better players) Mich. St. has a propensity to turn the ball over, during the reg. season they had 414 turnovers which is a lot for a good team.......they win because they can score and are well coached. In the last two turny. games vs. DD seeded teams they have a total of 25 turnovers. Hopefully the Refs. will let them play so we all can see a good game. But if they call a lot of "soft" fouls and Harris or Payne get into trouble or if the Cavs get a big lead into the 2nd half, I don't think Sparty can over come that.!..........Iam sure I left out a few things but this is how I see it...Know there are many Mich. St. backers out there..would like to hear your spin on the game.!​.......................Virginia + 2...............5 units.......................gl

ReconSnarff
    ReconSnarff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2259

Quote Originally Posted by CappinTerp View Post
    A very evenly matched game here. Michigan St. scores 78 pts. per and gives up 66 per game.Virginia scores 67 pts. per. and gives up 56 pts. per game. Scoring margin: Mich. St. 10.6 , Vir. 10.9....you guys get the idea. I must admit that I have alot of respect for coach Izzo and think he one of best in basketball. So why all the love for UVA.? I really think they are on a roll Offensively and Defensively, their " O " is overlooked because their " D" is so great.! The Cavs gave up just 4 pts. to Memphis in last 9 min. of the 1st half . When they played Coastal Caro. they shot 53 % and 47 % from 3 pt. land. Against Memphis they shot 55 % and 45 % of their 3's. On the "O" the Cavs hold the ball for 20 - 25 sec. before even thinking of taking a shot. This will give Sparty less possessions and prevent them from scoring way below their 78 pt. avg. The Cavs rotate 8-9 guys during the game always having fresh legs and in your face "D". In fact vs Memphis coach Bennett pulled 4 of their 5 starters from game with 6:45 to go.! Mich. St. is a very good team, they like to take 3 pt. shots as does Memphis and still Mem. scored only 60 pts.( I know ST. has much better players) Mich. St. has a propensity to turn the ball over, during the reg. season they had 414 turnovers which is a lot for a good team.......they win because they can score and are well coached. In the last two turny. games vs. DD seeded teams they have a total of 25 turnovers. Hopefully the Refs. will let them play so we all can see a good game. But if they call a lot of "soft" fouls and Harris or Payne get into trouble or if the Cavs get a big lead into the 2nd half, I don't think Sparty can over come that.!..........Iam sure I left out a few things but this is how I see it...Know there are many Mich. St. backers out there..would like to hear your spin on the game.!​.......................Virginia + 2...............5 units.......................gl
    You left out the fact that CC and Memphis are 2 very mediocre teams. Harvard is leaps and bounds better than CC and Memphis. If Michigan St gets out in transition, which they will, Virginia will not have time to set their elite defense. Michigan St at pick em was the play.

irish1
    Update your status
    irish1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5081

The real factor no one is mentioning about MSU is Denzel Valentine. If he plays the way he is capable of and doesn't get into foul trouble, Cavaliers will be in for a long night. Gary Harris will get all the attention from behind the arc and they will not concentrate on Valentine. MSU has better guard play and better Bigs (Payne, Dawson and Valentine or Costello) , I think it will be a good game but see MSU by at least 5-7pts.

jnanayoga
    jnanayoga's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 546

Quote Originally Posted by ReconSnarff View Post
    If Michigan St gets out in transition, which they will, Virginia will not have time to set their elite defense. Michigan St at pick em was the play.
    I strongly disagree here. I've watched every UVA game this season and the Cavs will not be giving up very many points in transition. This is one the "non-negotiables" that Tony Bennett preaches. UVA only sends 2 players to boards and the rest of team including the shooter is already running back to set up the D "on the flight of ball". Memphis tried all game to get into transition with very limited success.
    This is not to say that MSU can't play with UVA in the half court but I don't see them getting much in transition.

I think it's anyone's guess who comes away with a W, but I am confident that UVA controls the tempo, same as they have all season.

CappinTerp

Quote Originally Posted by ReconSnarff View Post

You left out the fact that CC and Memphis are 2 very mediocre teams. Harvard is leaps and bounds better than CC and Memphis. If Michigan St gets out in transition, which they will, Virginia will not have time to set their elite defense. Michigan St at pick em was the play.
    Great feed back guys, yes it will be a game of tempo, run or slow down also Applings' writs is better but some report he has altered his shooting form.

Quote Originally Posted by irish1 View Post
    The real factor no one is mentioning about MSU is Denzel Valentine. If he plays the way he is capable of and doesn't get into foul trouble, Cavaliers will be in for a long night. Gary Harris will get all the attention from behind the arc and they will not concentrate on Valentine. MSU has better guard play and better Bigs (Payne, Dawson and Valentine or Costello) , I think it will be a good game but see MSU by at least 5-7pts.

CappinTerp

bump.....................gl

farmhouse1
    farmhouse1's Avatar Become A Pro!

Virginia all the way. BOL

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

I've said before that the biggest concern for MSU backers is that UVA can "out-Spartan" the Spartans. They rebound and defend the way most Final Four MSU teams have in the past. This Spartan team is wired much differently. Rebounding and defense aren't necessarily their strengths. They rely more on their talent and offensive skills.

Should be a good game. I don't really have a feel either way. BOL CT.

BoS_010
    It's a marathon, not a sprint
    BoS_010's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

This game interests me the most tonight. There's been a lot of MSU love heading into the tourney, which is deserved. I feel UVA has gotten little respect not only during the tourney process, but the season as a whole. They can be boring to watch but they play great D and grind out W's. I personally have no feel on the game so I'm laying off. I expect it to go down to the wire and possibly be a one-possession game but who knows. It's unfortunate it's "only" a Sweet 16 game because I feel it should be an Elite 8 or even a Final 4 game. I'm sure the atmosphere will have that type of feel. For bracket purposes I'll be rooting for Sparty but won't be mad if UVA advances. One more thing: go Tennessee! Haha

befus
    befus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4384

GL Terp. When ya starting up bases? Last year you were already up 15 units IIRC!

CappinTerp

Quote Originally Posted by befus View Post
    GL Terp. When ya starting up bases? Last year you were already up 15 units IIRC!
    Hey befus how have you been.?............you on UVA tonight or Mich. St.........either way good luck.!............Yea will start on baseball this week........that was sick...and lucky going 15-0 to start spring training.............will see what happens this season............hope all is well with you out there....BOL.!!