TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

Are people this naive? (Selection Committee)

Last year, they gave Gonzaga (a 1 seed) the right to play the winner of Pitt (a top 20 power rated team) and Wichita State (surging when they got healthy late). Of course Wichita State wins and everybody bashes Gonzaga and assumes they were overrated

This year, Wichita State gets a 1 seed and they get Kentucky more than likely. A team that was #1 preseason and ranked MOST of the season. IF they beat Kentucky, they will more than likely face the #3 team in the country in the SWEET 16 (Louisville).

Do people really think that this shit isn't rigged like crazy?

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

I hear the same people in the selection committee created the RNG for SBR Poker
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Guinser

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I't will never be perfect does anyone have any suggestions on how this could be better

KRIT
    KRIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20334

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    I't will never be perfect does anyone have any suggestions on how this could be better
    Let Vegas make the bracket. Or just have Lunardi make it. His brackets always look better than the committees.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1800

So you are saying they don't want mid majors ruining the party?

Well yeah...

convick
    convick's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3683

Gonzaga was a joke last year. They were up 1 against Southern with 2 minutes left.

Easily the worst 1 seed in the last 10 years, Wichita beating them was a no-brainer.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

time to test this perfect team
    they beat tennessee and st. louis
    only good teams they played

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Do people really think it isn't?

GoBlue77
    GoBlue77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19052

i can only pray wichita st plays kentucky. love the shockers in that matchup

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

Look at all the potential 2nd round matchups. Nebraska Creighton. Wichita Kentucky (or team who dodges them kst). Nova against old big east rival uconn or big 5 team st joes list is endless

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

IF it was perfect, ppl would be making a Billion dollars a year on perfect brackets

rocky9995
    rocky9995's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 760

Most of u people are that dumb. I agree it's prob a little rigged. Last years Gonzaga team was phenomenal. Bad luck with their guard bell getting injured and Wichita making insane amount of threes. This year Gonzaga team will show how good they are

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by rocky9995 View Post
    Most of u people are that dumb. I agree it's prob a little rigged. Last years Gonzaga team was phenomenal. Bad luck with their guard bell getting injured and Wichita making insane amount of threes. This year Gonzaga team will show how good they are
    are you aware that their best player might be playing at 75% right now?

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Why is everyone convinced Kentucky is going to beat KSU? They fukkin sucked in easily the worst major conference, now they are all of a sudden contenders because of one game where the hung in on a neutral court vs. another painfully overhyped Florida team? The SEC is trash this year in basketball.

Kentucky wont be beating the shockers. And even if they did, they wont do much. These guys are talented mental midgets. Can't fix that in a week.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    Why is everyone convinced Kentucky is going to beat KSU? They fukkin sucked in easily the worst major conference, now they are all of a sudden contenders because of one game where the hung in on a neutral court vs. another painfully overhyped Florida team? The SEC is trash this year in basketball.

Kentucky wont be beating the shockers. And even if they did, they wont do much. These guys are talented mental midgets. Can't fix that in a week.
    you hate UK

Zeus54
    Zeus54's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 490

lol @ K-State. And you saying Florida is overhyped tells me you don't watch much college hoops. Yes, the SEC is utter dog shit, but that Florida team is legit.

It's definitely possible... I made this post at another forum explaining why...

UK is not much better than an 8 seed. Just too much of a young and inexperienced team. How many legitimately good key wins do they have? 1 or 2?

That said, I'm pondering on picking UK to beat Wichita St. I love this Wichita team and have been sour on UK all year, but UK got so much hype put on their shoulders from the media and their fans. Have to think getting an 8 seed will sort of give them a feeling that they're playing with house money. All the pressure would be on Wichita at 35-0.

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10428

its hard to make everone happy but all and all they do a good job

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    you hate UK
    I hate the SEC this year. That entire conference is a goddamn joke.

Teams who win in march are elite at something, and/or have been tested throughout the year. Florida hasn't been tested since 2013.

I can't hate UK, Calipari helps too much with Arizona recruiting. Their fans are morons though.

KRIT
    KRIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20334

That's what I keep saying. Everyone is just assuming Kentucky is going to play Wichita. KState is a very solid team, and I'll likely be taking the 5 points with KState in that game. I'll probably still have Kentucky advancing in my bracket, but that game will be up for grabs. Kentucky has almost zero chance against the Shockers.

TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

Quote Originally Posted by sweethook View Post
    its hard to make everone happy but all and all they do a good job
    surely you don't actually believe this........

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

T powell

stop bitching

we cut down the nets let's beat everyone in line

line'em up

that's why college ball is college ball

dam you sound like a Lexington fan

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

powell thanks for tellin me to grab creighton futures before the year 66-1 now 25-1 freeroll fuckin city.

Tommy Karate
    Update your status
    Tommy Karate's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12940

T powell

stop bitching

we cut down the nets let's beat everyone in line

line'em up

that's why college ball is college ball

dam you sound like a Lexington fan
    were the cards also a very poor FT shooting team last year?

The Madcap
    The world meets nobody halfway.
    The Madcap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 460

Quote Originally Posted by KRIT View Post
    Let Vegas make the bracket. Or just have Lunardi make it. His brackets always look better than the committees.

Lunardi had Maryland in ahead of NC State. The NIT didn't even want Maryland. Not to mention Maryland lost to NC State earlier in the year when State didn't even have their best player (TJ Warren) who accounts for over 30% of their point production. Lunardi's brackets are all based of stat metrics he doesn't even understand. While his seeding might seem more fair to the naked eye than the selection committee's often does, Lunardi doesn't really take things into account like the geography/Pod system/travel miles etc that the committee has to.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

um he had smu in instead of nc state, thats the only team he missed

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15111

When you put 3 of the four final four teams from last year, all in one bracket, you are gonna raise suspicion amongst the conspiracy theorists.
    I say this, knowing full well that TPowell will ass rape me in any Bracket contest, like he always does.
    But, c'mon, Wichita, Kentucky, Michigan & Louisville all in the same bracket with Duke.
    What do you expect?

The Madcap

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    um he had smu in instead of nc state, thats the only team he missed

YES.

But he had Maryland rated ahead of NC State as far as his "first four out/next four out" listings:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/96355/lunardi-my-take-on-the-bracket

"The following exclusions are all at least 10 spots better than the Wolfpack (No. 66) in the final KenPom rankings: SMU (No. 32, my choice), Louisiana Tech (No. 35), Utah (No. 36), St. John's (No. 38), Florida State (No. 41), Maryland (No. 43), Clemson (No. 51), Georgetown (No. 45) and Illinois (No. 56). So one could argue, fairly effectively, that NC State wasn't even the next best team in its own conference. But apparently that doesn't matter since Coach Mike Krzyzewski thinks all of them should be in the tournament."

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Karate View Post
    were the cards also a very poor FT shooting team last year?
    You know for the first time in a long time they excelled

but of course Russ struggled in the final four

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by The Madcap View Post
    YES.

But he had Maryland rated ahead of NC State as far as his "first four out/next four out" listings:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/96355/lunardi-my-take-on-the-bracket

"The following exclusions are all at least 10 spots better than the Wolfpack (No. 66) in the final KenPom rankings: SMU (No. 32, my choice), Louisiana Tech (No. 35), Utah (No. 36), St. John's (No. 38), Florida State (No. 41), Maryland (No. 43), Clemson (No. 51), Georgetown (No. 45) and Illinois (No. 56). So one could argue, fairly effectively, that NC State wasn't even the next best team in its own conference. But apparently that doesn't matter since Coach Mike Krzyzewski thinks all of them should be in the tournament."
    lol it says kenpom rankings right in the paragraph you bolded

ChalkyDog

Listen, the selection committee nor myself buy the AAC. That's why UL is a 4 seed and SMU is out of the tourney. That simple. Their logic isn't flawed either, IMO.

Your boys got treated as a mid-major. That simple. You will either prove to the world you are as good as your numbers, or they're inflated as hell due to the competition.

The Madcap

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    lol it says kenpom rankings right in the paragraph you bolded

NO SHIT.

Lunardi is slave to the metrics. Hence why I wrote: "Lunardi's brackets are all based off stat metrics he doesn't even understand."

(I would have linked his "first four out/next four out" list but ESPN.com has already removed it)

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Listen, the selection committee nor myself buy the AAC. That's why UL is a 4 seed and SMU is out of the tourney. That simple. Their logic isn't flawed either, IMO.

Your boys got treated as a mid-major. That simple. You will either prove to the world you are as good as your numbers, or they're inflated as hell due to the competition.
    Lol because the PAC ( piece a chit) has been so reputable over the years

oh UCLA hit 3 str8 final fours ,

now a trip to Corvallis or wazoo Means something!

gtfo west coast ball is all finesse garbage

Sean miller is doing a great job

but enjoy another sweet 16 / elite 8 season

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

lol i was thinking chalker was pretty feisty considering pac 12/10's recent "success" in the tourney

ChalkyDog

Lol because the PAC ( piece a chit) has been so reputable over the years

oh UCLA hit 3 str8 final fours ,

now a trip to Corvallis or wazoo Means something!

gtfo west coast ball is all finesse garbage

Sean miller is doing a great job

but enjoy another sweet 16 / elite 8 season
    WTF? 2 years ago the regular conference champion didn't even make the dance. First time in history that has ever happened to a champion of a major conference.

This year, we send 6 and put half of them in one bracket. That is a slight, IMO. Ratio wise, especially considering seeding - PAC has held their own in the dance, especially ATS.

I can write a diatribe on why the PAC hit a downstretch the last few years, and why it's going to be one of the best conferences in the nation for at least the next 3 to 4 years, could be more but it's hard to evaluate middle schoolers. A lot of it had to do with talent on the West Coast, and then keeping the talent on the west coast. Nobody wants to hear about it, so I wont go much further. It's a lot easier to figure out and predict than most things.

But, here is the point - my point: The selection committee uses an archaic metric that is called RPI. L'Ville - I know you know of that, and probably have a decent understanding. It's basically the only "advanced" metric the selection committee uses. I put it in quotes due to the fact that the metric is a goddamn joke. A metric that was created around the same time people were typing in C drive commands into DOS. It's outdated and isn't anywhere near as good as the dozens of other metrics available.

Guess where Louisville was in RPI? Guess where AAC measured in conference RPI. Once you realize WTF is going on, it's incredibly easy to reconcile how the committee put L'ville as a 4 seed and SMU out.

The reasoning isn't flawed, as the metric used is equally terrible to every team - thus fair. It's just a shit metric.

You'll be in the ACC soon enough, and wont have to worry about being treated as a mid-major, as there isn't a more overhyped and overrespected basketball conference in the history of college ball. That said, and going all the way back to my point about regional talent pools - the East Coast wont be as deep as usual in the talent department due to a very specific strategy of East Coast talent handlers. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson being one of the few kids tagged to start this project. The other names have worked out equally as well.

Interesting to see how they handle L'ville in this, as they are playing on the east coast, but are not exactly "east coast" - could benefit you. I know it will benefit Arizona and UCLA.

BTW, Sean Miller is 14-2-1 ATS and never lost to a lower seed in this tourney. That one is on the house.
    Last edited by ChalkyDog; 03-17-14 at 11:25 PM.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by The Madcap View Post
    NO SHIT.

Lunardi is slave to the metrics. Hence why I wrote: "Lunardi's brackets are all based off stat metrics he doesn't even understand."

(I would have linked his "first four out/next four out" list but ESPN.com has already removed it)
    what in the fuk are you even talking about? im about 70% sure you have to be under the influence

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology
    First Four Out

Next Four Out

12 Last