Magnificent
    Just tryin to be Jay Bilas...
    Magnificent's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1118

Bring Back BracketBusters!

I got into NCAA BB later than usual this year and did not realize that last years BracketBuster event was the final year in its 11 year run. I used to look forward to this weekend of hoops as it would bring top-flight teams from the mid major conferences together, at a point of the season that you wouldn't see these teams play eachother, and made good on providing competitive matchups plateaued on a network, giving national exposure. You would see teams from wayyyy out of region competing with other teams and in return get a chance to gauge their performances. Honestly, it was one of my 3 favorite parts of the season for CBB. It was right up there with Conference Rivalry Week and Conference Tourney Time. Obviously the Big Dance trumped all of these, but Bracket Buster weekend would give you a sense of teams that had a shot at the tournament, and their capabilities if they did end up making it there. I am greatly disappointed that it no longer is in action as of this year, and I have read up on the reasoning. I cant say that some of the reasoning doesn't make sense, but what I can say is, as a die-hard NCAA hoops fan, that this is a letdown and just one less event to look forward to from a fans and a bettors perspective. I felt in the last few years as a bettor, that I had an advantage on this particular weekend, as I could gauge these teams on a H2H basis, and know who truly was the better team, regardless of the line. Anyone else feel this way...disappointed?...Let it be known!

romoney
    College Hoop Time
    romoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 179

agreed!!! 100% That was one of my favorite weekends and made some $$$$$$

JT OZ
    JT OZ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

I did not realize they weren't doing it this year, any idea why? Thought it was great exposure for the teams involved but I'm also guessing some of the coaches didn't like it.

Magnificent
    Just tryin to be Jay Bilas...
    Magnificent's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1118

Quote Originally Posted by JT OZ View Post
    I did not realize they weren't doing it this year, any idea why? Thought it was great exposure for the teams involved but I'm also guessing some of the coaches didn't like it.
    From what I read and gathered, it had to do with the fact that some of the schools that would win these matchups felt that the wins that they generated in this set-up didn't end up gaining them births into the Big Dance. They thought it would when they would win these games (as it would provide another quality win against a formidable opponent), but the committee must not have held much weight with some of these matchups. Also, there were things involved with Conference TV contracts that would prevent certain Conferences from participating in the event any longer such as the CAA (Colonial), as well as others. All in all some of the reasoning made sense, but I still feel that they should find a way to work this back in. I knew something was up when I hadn't heard any Promotion of it recently as I always knew it was right around this time of year (with Valentines, and my Wifes Bday). I will post the link to a related article in a minute if I can find it...

JT OZ
    JT OZ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Thanks for the info. I figured some coaches weren't interested in the possibility of having to play a non-conference game on the road this late in the season, especially if it was a longer trip that could impact their teams getting ready for conference tourneys or the end of the regular season.