Dollars2Donuts
    Deadly
    Dollars2Donuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 589

A simple observation about NCAA Hoops

I don't watch a ton of NCAA Hoops outside of the Big Ten, so I do not profess to be any sort of expert, BUT having watched a lot of games over the last few years, one thing continues to amaze me.

Teams that are losing late in the 4th Quarter, even by large margins, start the 'foul game'. Really? You see it time and time again, a team will be down a dozen, with 70 seconds left in the game and their opponent in double bonus....and they are fouling!

I guess some people would explain it by saying that the coach is trying to prepare the students for the games that they are in and they need to do this, but isn't their something to be said for teaching these kids sportsmanship? When the game is completely out of reach....should they not be taught to act like they have been there before?

Honestly, these guys drive me nuts with this....they should be embarrassed. Work in your two minute drill in practice, nobody wants to see it when it doesn't matter. I just think this teaches kids the wrong lessons.....

Anyway.....I don't whine too much....but it had to be said.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by Dollars2Donuts View Post
    I don't watch a ton of NCAA Hoops

Teams that are losing late in the 4th Quarter
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ChalkyDog

TwoWays
    TwoWays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3608

they need to reduce the shot clock to like 25 seconds. college kids suck at making free throws. and they gamble too much on games.

tsimmns
    tsimmns's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1587

Shot clock definitely needs to be reduced, even if just to 30 second seconds. Heck, why is it the the NCAA men have a bigger shot clock than the women?

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    I would say we petition to do away with the 4th quarter in NCAAB. That would probably make a big difference to a lot of people.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

Not sure I see that happening that much down double digits with only 90 seconds left, but if it happens often its because of the shot clock, which I hate in the guys' game, even women's is shorter. So if youre down say 10 with 90 seconds left what do you expect them to do its simple math, the only way youre gonna remotely have a chance to get enough possessions is to foul and hope they miss the FT's. With 2 and a half possessions the opponent can run out the entire clock, ball game over. Should be no more than 30 sec shot clock, 24 is too short for the kids, but I like it in the pros when I see a team down double digits with say 3 minutes left the game certainly isnt over.

Dollars2Donuts
    Deadly

Dude.....you need to sharpen up your skillz. What you decided to post back changed the entire context of the post....as I am sure you know. If you don't think I know enough about hoops in general, or the NCAA in general then you haven't checked out anything I have ever written. When I say 'I don't watch a ton of hoops' I mean outside of the Big Ten AND, and it is a HUGE AND, compared the the other sports that I spend my time with.

You are better than that Drinker.

tonywayne
    tonywayne's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

I'm not sure it's an issue of sportsmanship, but it certainly makes most of the game meaningless. If teams can come back from double-digits down in the last minute or two of a game, why not just flip a coin and give the winner 10 points, then play for 2 minutes?

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

First, it's their only chance to win because a lot of college kids suck at free throws, so they're guarantying themselves more possessions.

Second, the coaches are still teaching these kids and are running end of game situations.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Dean smith was the greatest late game coach of all time.

His philosophy was to extend the game as long as possible. Double bonus has affected that some but it's the only way to play if you're down particularly because most teams don't shoot fts well as a whole

Shot clock makes no difference because most fouls happen as soon as the ball crosses half court and the offensive team avoids the violation

Only way to fix it is to go to an international type rule where the offense keeps the ball after the foul. Of course that rule is flawed too.

Anyway most games end in two hours so who cares?

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Dude.....you need to sharpen up your skillz. What you decided to post back changed the entire context of the post....as I am sure you know. If you don't think I know enough about hoops in general, or the NCAA in general then you haven't checked out anything I have ever written. When I say 'I don't watch a ton of hoops' I mean outside of the Big Ten AND, and it is a HUGE AND, compared the the other sports that I spend my time with.

Bustin balls gueye. But no I'm not better than that. Unrale

bubblebuttluv
    Derek Jeter, the best shortstop ever.
    bubblebuttluv's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1897

College Basketball is split into 2 halves, not 4 quarters.

Dollars2Donuts
    Deadly

Quote Originally Posted by bubblebuttluv View Post
    College Basketball is split into 2 halves, not 4 quarters.
    LOl, slip of the proverbial tongue....my bad.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

the dean!

(yes way before my time but still the best late game comeback)

Dollars2Donuts
    Deadly

the dean!

(yes way before my time but still the best late game comeback)

That rocks.....not really what I meant, but what an amazing clip. There have been a couple of sick ones in the NBA, with Reggie Miller's 8 points in 9 seconds topping my list.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

That rocks.....not really what I meant, but what an amazing clip. There have been a couple of sick ones in the NBA, with Reggie Miller's 8 points in 9 seconds topping my list.
    yeah this was the first thing that came to mind when i read the post

there were a couple crazy duke maryland games more recently

ill also add that three changed the game completely when it came into play

Cappinpicks
    Cappinpicks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

yeah it is boring as hell with the half hour shot clock, just hold it and throw it up and get fouled with 1 second what a terrible sport

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

I don't watch a ton of NCAA Hoops outside of the Big Ten, so I do not profess to be any sort of expert, BUT having watched a lot of games over the last few years, one thing continues to amaze me.

Teams that are losing late in the 4th Quarter, even by large margins, start the 'foul game'. Really? You see it time and time again, a team will be down a dozen, with 70 seconds left in the game and their opponent in double bonus....and they are fouling!

I guess some people would explain it by saying that the coach is trying to prepare the students for the games that they are in and they need to do this, but isn't their something to be said for teaching these kids sportsmanship? When the game is completely out of reach....should they not be taught to act like they have been there before?

Honestly, these guys drive me nuts with this....they should be embarrassed. Work in your two minute drill in practice, nobody wants to see it when it doesn't matter. I just think this teaches kids the wrong lessons.....

Anyway.....I don't whine too much....but it had to be said.
    true ... its about who can shoot free throws