SBRforum Staff
    SBRforum Staff's Avatar Become A Pro!

East, Round 1: VCU vs Duke

VCU the play versus Duke

Game Time: 3/15/2007 7:10:00 PM
    By: Michael Alexander
    http://www.10starpicks.com

An up-and-down season for Duke has the Blue Devils vulnerable to the unthinkable: One and out in the NCAA Tournament. Though Duke comes into this first round contest as the favorites, the Virginia Commonwealth Rams are primed for the upset. Tip off is scheduled for a little past 7:00 p.m. tonight at the HSBC Arena in Buffalo, NY.

In a first round West Regional contest, Virginia Commonwealth takes on the once mighty Duke Blue Devils. VCU is coming off a fantastic year and closed on a 5-game winning streak that put them at 27-6 straight up and 16-13 against the spread. Away from home VCU has been very good posting a 15-4 straight up and 11-6 against the spread mark.

The Rams' offense, although not stellar, has produced 74.8 points per game on 46% shooting from the floor and has been especially effective from beyond the arc hitting 40% on the season. Their defense has been relatively stingy giving up only 64.8 points per game.

The Duke Blue Devils come into this game reeling as they have dropped three in a row and seven of their last 11 contests. By Duke standards they have not had a good season as they come in at 22-10 straight up and 14-14 against the spread. On the road the Blue Devils are only 7-6 both straight up and against the spread.

The Duke offense has not been as productive as past years scoring only 70.2 points per game, but has shot respectable at 46.9% from the floor. Their defense has been alright giving up 67.2 points per game away from home.

Supporting angles include Virginia Commonwealth being 7-1 against the spread (+5.9 Units) in road games after three or more consecutive wins this season. Duke is 5-13 against the spread (-9.3 Units) in road games after one or more consecutive overs over the last two seasons. Duke is 6-15 against the spread (-10.5 Units) versus very good teams - outscoring their opponents by 8+ points/game after 15+ games over the last two seasons.

The Duke team that you see this year is just not up to normal standards and they will be playing a team hitting on all cylinders. Lots of points to give in what will be a tight ball game. I'm taking the points and VCU.

Play: Virginia Commonwealth +6

SBRforum Staff
    SBRforum Staff's Avatar Become A Pro!

VCU & Duke Under 135

Game Time: 3/15/2007 7:10:00 PM
    By: L.T. Profit Sports Group
    http://www.who2beton.com

Both defenses are strong, and that makes the under the way to go in the Duke-Virginia Commonwealth matchup.

Both of these defenses have performed well for the most past this season, so we feel that a low-scoring affair is in order here.

Duke is not nearly as strong as in past seasons, as evidenced by a 22-10 record. But the Blue Devils' defense has been the best part of the team. That unit allowed just 61.5 points per game on 42.2 percent shooting on the year, a feat that is more impressive when you consider the tough ACC schedule. Virginia Commonwealth was no slouch defensively during the regular year either, surrendering just 64.8 points per game.

Finally the Under is now 41-20 in the last 61 Duke non-conference games, which makes sense when you consider that the defense usually has an easier time stopping non-ACC foes, so expect the same tonight.

Play: Virginia Commonwealth-Duke Under 135

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4627

I also like VCU plus the points here. Possible upset here.

Crayzee
    Crayzee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9053

6 is one of those lines i never take the dog with
    the other being 3 or 10
    no matter what
    i'll hope this goes to at least 6-1/2 or more by game time

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I too like VCU in this game looker.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

I like Duke tonight, but plan on passing.

Pegasus
    Pegasus's Avatar Become A Pro!

I like Duke -6. ALL favorites are moving on in the early games.

The HG
    The HG's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Great Dog Covers of NCAA tourneys past don't seem to be occuring this time around. Coach K and Duke know everyone thinks they are very vulnerable in the first round this year. I'd lean towards Duke.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm glad I passed. It sure was nice seeing Duke go out in the first round.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

I had VCU +6, and it was great to see them bounce Duke out of the 1st Round. I think I was more excited that Duke lost then winning my bet. Since the day was pretty much sheit by then anyway.

bigboydan

I'm glad to see VCU beat Duke. I'm sure that killed a lot of brackets out there.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    I'm glad to see VCU beat Duke. I'm sure that killed a lot of brackets out there.
    I actually have VCU making the sweet 16. Davidson killed mine, I also had them in the SW16.

bigboydan

VCU is a better road team than they are a home team. So I can actually see them making it to the sweet 16 onlooker.