SBRforum Staff
    SBRforum Staff's Avatar Become A Pro!

Al McMordie: Memphis tonight vs Cincinnati

Memphis on the money tonight vs Cincinnati

Game Time: 1/4/2007 9:00:00 PM
    By: Al McMordie
    http://www.phoenixsports.com

Upset over his team's effort in their last game, look for John Calipari's Memphis Tigers to come out strong tonight at home in the FedEx Forum against the Cincinnati Bearcats in this C-USA/Big East tilt. There's some heavy chalk for the Tigers to cover in this 9:00 p.m. (ET) tip, but Memphis has the guns to do just that.

Our college hoops selection this evening is on the Memphis Tigers minus the points over Cincinnati.

John Calipari was pretty upset with his team's effort last week vs. Lamar. The Tigers won 87-62, but shot just 43 percent from the field and 54 percent from the line. Calipari said, "To watch it was painful....They are not playing to the level they are capable of."

Memphis (10-3) comes into this one ranked #22 in the AP and #23 in the Coaches Poll, and this contest with the Bearcats should serve as a solid springboard for the Tigers as they prepare to enter hard and heavy into C-USA play in another week. Memphis is already 1-0 in the C-USA standings with a win over Marshall a month ago.

Chris Douglas-Roberts (So, 6-6) leads the Tigers with a 15.8 scoring average, adding 4.6 boards and just over two assists per game. Kareem Cooper (So, 6-11) is the top rebounder with a 6.8 average while the three guard tandem of Antonio Anderson (So, 6-6), Willie Kemp (Fr, 6-2) and Andre Allen (Jr, 5-10) runs the Tigers' show on the floor, each with more than three assists per contest. Last year, Memphis outscored Cincy 91-81 behind a career-high 32 points from Anderson.

For Cincinnati (9-4), this will be their first true road game of the season, which is never a good thing this late into the season. The Bearcats are coming off a 79-66 loss to Ohio on a neutral court in Cleveland. Cincinnati ran into a bunch of foul trouble in that game, and were beaten by 18 points at the charity stripe.

John Williamson (Jr, 6-6) leads the Bearcats with 15.0 points and 8.2 rebounds per game. Deonta Vaughn (Fr, 6-1) is the floor general with 4.5 assists per night, and ranks second on the team in scoring with a 14.5 average.

I look for Memphis to come out tonight and satisfy their coach with a strong effort against Cincinnati. Take the Tigers.

Play: Memphis -15½

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I disagree with Al in this game. I'm liking Cincy in this spot.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

I like Memphis tonight very big.

gummo
    Bearcats
    gummo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1195

I'm on Memphis. Calipari still stinging from not getting a Big East invite and wants to take it out on Cincy.

MickChunky
    Dillishaw +715!
    MickChunky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 49

Memphis 88
    Cincy 55

Passed on Maryland -30 for the Memphis -15.5 play.

Should've gone with MD too, since they covered

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I seen MD covered that one by a point bud. I was really considering the Gals in that game, but they are just that bad.

Congrats Memphis backers

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nice going tonight Memphis backers.