Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Possible lawsuit/eligibility issues for selling "win it for ware shirt"

Are you fukkin kidding me w/ this shit...

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...-tribute-shirt

I'm not even going to bold the statements/quotes that are 100% ridiculous in this article.

Some lawyer trying to make a buck...

Bengals28
    Success is one thing, Impact is another
    Bengals28's Avatar Become A Pro!

The rule is the rule though guy, regardless of the circumstances.

With that said L'ville waiving their right to their royalty makes sense.

chunk
    chunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19168

This kid's interview with ESPN is well worth the time and brings a tear to the eye. I sure hope that he makes it back.....seems like a nice lad. Can ball too.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Louisvillekid1

jmp
    jmp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1377

Quote Originally Posted by Bengals28 View Post
    The rule is the rule though guy, regardless of the circumstances.

With that said L'ville waiving their right to their royalty makes sense.
    The fact that they are waiving it is an admission of fault. On top of that the partial proceeds that are not "profitted" are actually going to the school's tuition program. Yes, it is bullshit all over, up and down.

Wilfred
    Wilfred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 528

Louisville making the shirt and selling it was stupid. If it wasn't about money why not give them out for free?
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ZetaPsi808, and face

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Win it for ware!

Crate Mayne
    Crate Mayne's Avatar Become A Pro!

"The NCAA also has maintained that college players do not deserve royalties from jersey sales because the player's name is not on it. It has been suggested that the number associated with a school could be for any athlete, past or present, but in this case the school and adidas acknowledged it was specifically doing this for Ware."

They waived their rights to profit. So unless those shirts somehow cost 24.99 (or whatever) to produce, there is money being raised off them, and someone is profiting from it. AKA doesn't matter where the money goes, it's still profiting off a specific player's name. So it's noble to be donated toward scholarships, but the issue is that they're SPECIFICALLY profiting off of a guy that doesn't see a dime of it. There's also t-shirts floating around with his actual name on them, that doesn't seem wrong to you? I'mma start selling t-shirts with your name on them, and see how you feel about not collecting anything from the sales.

The original NCAA/EA sports lawsuit should be a winner when it finally goes to court also. That's some underhanded shit right there. It's one thing to be on TV, and not collect royalties from the millions you provide to the benefactors... but to put an athlete in a video game with EVERY single stat/weight/height perfectly describing a person, EXCEPT for putting a name to it. That's just a shiesty ass loophole for the NCAA to further bilk millions from their unpaid workers.

Sidenote: buck EA Sports, hasn't been a decent madden released since they created a monopoly on NFL gaming rights.
    Last edited by Crate Mayne; 04-04-13 at 05:04 PM.

boeing power
    boeing power's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Louisville should be disqualified from the tourney.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

1) It's a violation of a rule. One of my favorite shirts (also involving a 6th man type player),which was created 100% by a 3rd local party (my buddy), had the likness of this player (Kevin Parrom), and within a month of sales (which were booming) we got a cease and desist order written by the University of Arizona.

2) It's a reasonable rule, in almost all circumstances. This being the exception. There is no reason this "shirt" can't be a main revenue stream for some charity (Kevin Ware Charity) to benefit. Sell that shit like an expensive plate at one of those bullshit dinners that are like $200 a plate. Take adidas off the tag, and sell it for $50+, where all proceeds go to said charity.

ChalkyDog

HOWEVER, let's think of how ridiculous this rule is.

The main issue here is someone making money off the likeness of an NCAA "student" Athlete (Although, Kevin Ware fits that billing). That is the part of the rule that is at issue here, "the likeness".

WTF!?!?!?! The Likeness? Do you fail to realize that an entire industry of hacks, schmucks and absolutely shitty people are making Millions on the ACTUAL kid, not the likeness - but on the sweat equity of Kevin Ware. Not his face printed on a T-shirt, or his number on a Jersey - BTW, schools do sell the number (unnamed of course - no likeness?? OK!). No - they are making MILLIONS on this kid and his hard work. In turn, they essentially give them room and board - and while on this magnificent plantat.... sorry, "CAMPUS" - we'll let you learn good too. Unreal.

The YUM center in itself is one of the biggest jokes in College Basketball. Amazing arena, but have you seen this monstrosity? There is nothing humble, collegiate, or student centric about it. It makes NBA arena's I have gone too look like actual dumps. This place singlehandedly allows for UL to pay Pitino the most money, at times it has been millions more than the next coach. It also propels UL to the most "valued" team in college basketball. The YUM center, is anything but collegiate. It is yet another perfect example of the hypocrisy in the NCAA.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

By far the best arena in basketball

Wilfred
    Wilfred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 528

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    LOL. Long Beach State bud.

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    Absolutely. I love McKale. Wouldn't trade it for anything.... Well, except if its replacement is anything close to the YUM center.

I used to hate the benefits some universities have. Like UK and their pay for play, or Duke with their "elite HS camps" that are right in the middle of a "dead period" in college recruiting, so as he can have the nations best ballers - all on his court - and with not another coach in the country even allowed to contact these kids (texting rules have changed recently).

That doesn't even begin to touch football, and the absurdity of SEC football.

I don't hate on that shit anymore. I have accepted it. Good for you for saying FUKK the NCAA and the guise of college athletics being amateur. Just realize, this is exactly like steroids in the 90's - everyone is doing it.

Shoe companies literally hand specific schools blue chip prospects. Hell, in the example of UCLA - Adidas shipped over on a platter the number 1 recruiting class this year.

Calipari's Basketball specific perks, i.e a whole dormitory that they manipulated in such a way as to be considered "student housing" that puts some million dollar homes to shame.

Sorry about the rant, but this is fukking asinine. Can't sell a goddamn shirt, because it violates some backassward rule? Go fukk yourself NCAA.

TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

nice to know the NCAA monitors merchandise more than they do actual universities

NrmlCurvSurfr
    NrmlCurvSurfr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 600

posted this in another thread, seems relevant here as well...

Quote Originally Posted by NrmlCurvSurfr View Post
    schools/ncaa/networks are already treating student athletes like slaves...Funny how everyone involved is making millions, except the players...and before anyone brings up scholarships, an "american studies" degree is not an education, I would rather pay tuition and earn a useful degree...cant believe more people dont see whats really going on...