PittsburghPlayer
    PittsburghPlayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10667

Post Your Prediction/Thoughts on Syracuse-Indiana (-5 1/2)

I will do so later today. If I feel strongly enough I will start a thread (2 and 1 with my only 3 threads involving Syr this year here at SBR, and with the loser I gave a warning!) with my pick. Good day men, and please, back a bowl, bong or smoke a joint today! Carry on!

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Before the tourney I thought that IU had the best two players on the floor for 30+ minutes a game. But now for some reason zeller has the worst post moves and plays the worse defense of any big man in America, including javale McGhee. I can see the Cuse giving IU fits tonight with that zone and Ending up in a dogfight tonight. IU wins but doesn't cover based on beoheim out coaching crean tonight.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Leaning Ind 1h right now.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

My friend said Indiana will cover... Syracuse has zero chance. Just saying.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot;1
    My friend said Indiana will cover... Syracuse has zero chance. Just saying.
    Is your friend one of the refs in the game tonight or billy walters?

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Just some dude that told me he promises me they will win. Said Syracuse can't match up with Indiana in any type of game. Which I really haven't seen Syracuse play? But.... I don't know about this dude.

BigBoi
    BigBoi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 575

IU covers. Line should be around 3

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3329

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoi View Post
    IU covers. Line should be around 3
    If you believe the line should be 3, wouldn't you take the 2.5 points gift with the Orange.

Bbfromgpt
    Cappin
    Bbfromgpt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4429

Man I hate to say this, but I think IU wakes up and controls the game. They win by 7-12

Serbone
    Serbone's Avatar Become A Pro!

IU has time to prepare for the Cuse zone, and Indiana coach Crean went against the Cuse zone when he was at Marquette yrs ago.
    The Big East has struggled... top notch Louisville looked good but played essentially two home games against inferior foes, Marquette lucked out twice, Cuse had an easy draw with Montana and Cal. The other BE teams lost.
    The Big 10 has looked like the strongest conference.
    In the second round the dogs look so good... teams that WON two. The last 2 yrs the dogs have done well in the first round of the Sweet 16. But that doesn't mean much, does it?
    But Cuse has had trouble scoring sometimes, in fact had games where they were pathetic on "O". Their strength is their "D" and a top notch Big 10 team like Indiana with 4-5 days to prepare should be able to score on them. Good shooters like star guard Oladipo AND inside game with lottery pick 7 footer Zeller. And a great supporting cast.
    Sooooooooooooooooo tempting to take the points with big name Syracuse after two wins... I think Indiana was overconfident and has been looking ahead a bit lately, in the Big 10 and recetnly with Temple and learned their lesson... they will not take Cuse lightly... will go all out finally.... I lean to Indiana.
    Last edited by Serbone; 03-28-13 at 10:34 AM.

isotopes
    isotopes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

Indiana should have lost to Temple. They didn't even beat temple, temple beat themselves by not scoring at all in the second half and that wasn't because of great Defense by Indiana. Two of Temples top 3 scorers didn't even have any points till midway through the second half. Indiana is definitely beatable. Cuse almost covered by cal and they went on a 10 minute scoring drought in the second half. Its simple, cuse makes 70% free throws and doesn't go on a long scoring drought and they win. If they shoot 30% free throws and go on a 10 minute scoring drought in the second half they lose. With the way they have been playing its a coin flip.

BigBoi
    BigBoi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 575

Not a gift. Because it should b around 3 and is where it is tells me they believe IU covers.

Bbfromgpt
    Cappin

Quote Originally Posted by isotopes View Post
    Indiana should have lost to Temple. They didn't even beat temple, temple beat themselves by not scoring at all in the second half and that wasn't because of great Defense by Indiana. Two of Temples top 3 scorers didn't even have any points till midway through the second half. Indiana is definitely beatable. Cuse almost covered by cal and they went on a 10 minute scoring drought in the second half. Its simple, cuse makes 70% free throws and doesn't go on a long scoring drought and they win. If they shoot 30% free throws and go on a 10 minute scoring drought in the second half they lose. With the way they have been playing its a coin flip.
    Not really that simple at all. Cuse won't win this on offense or the FT line even though those are important. They wanna smother Indiana with their zone defense and frustrate them. Cuse knows there is no way on the planet they can go basket for basket with Indiana. So they'll attempt to slow it down and get a high % shot on each possession only fast breaking when they absolutely have to. This is a classic offensive team vs a team that wants to win on D. I don't feel like Indiana came out all that focused against Temple. It was more the attitude and focus of we will win bc we are Indiana and they're temple. I think they're fully focused here, and all though their team will be out coached,they will find a way to win by 7+

Mr Handicapable
    Mr Handicapable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

Yogi has 14 points in the first 10 minutes vs James Madison then goes scoreless vs Temple. Crean isn't the greatest coach....I don't get alot of his rotations but he'll have Yogi and Olidipo slashing/driving in this one and opening up their D. I think Indiana appreciates the faster tempo and covers but they have holes when Zeller is off. Hulls has been cold lately too.....when he's hot they're close to unbeatable. Small lean IU

Mr Handicapable
    Mr Handicapable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    Before the tourney I thought that IU had the best two players on the floor for 30+ minutes a game. But now for some reason zeller has the worst post moves and plays the worse defense of any big man in America, including javale McGhee. I can see the Cuse giving IU fits tonight with that zone and Ending up in a dogfight tonight. IU wins but doesn't cover based on beoheim out coaching crean tonight.
    Yeah thats why he's a lottery pick. All Zeller needs to learn is to shot fake these big boys that outweigh him. He gets the ball in the post and just barrels in almost every time so they know where to find the ball. If he had a couple of weeks with Kevin McHale or Olajuwon he'd be unstoppable. Just show these guys the ball once in a while and then go up when they're coming down.

tatddy
    tatddy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 608

I like cuse to keep it close and cover the 5.5

Bbfromgpt
    Cappin

I think each game has a good shot to be close hard fought games. I think the current favs win the games but not sure on the lines. Even though I picked Zona to go to the final four

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Handicapable View Post
    Yeah thats why he's a lottery pick. All Zeller needs to learn is to shot fake these big boys that outweigh him. He gets the ball in the post and just barrels in almost every time so they know where to find the ball. If he had a couple of weeks with Kevin McHale or Olajuwon he'd be unstoppable. Just show these guys the ball once in a while and then go up when they're coming down.
    I thought I was the only one who noticed this. Crean must have joepa type sight. Zeller is killing the Hoosiers shot at just making the final four. Just a waste of a possession to throw it to the post now.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Indiana matches up extremely well in this match up. They are lethal from 3 point land and can shoot right over that zone.

Zeller will shut down Southerland. and John Carter Williams is one of the worst D1 point guards ive witnessed play all season.

I never really knew how bad he was until he got schooled vs Louisville in the Big East title game.

I see Indiana winning by 20 +

Capnick
    Capnick's Avatar Become A Pro!

In the end, i think indiana prevails. What i think is gonna hurt syracuse is their point guard Michael Carter Williams. He is a tremendous talent, but has a tendency to turn the ball over and is TERRIBLE at the free throw line... He will be great later in his career once he acquires more experience... Indiana has zeller inside, which could command a double team down low, which will free up guys like oladipo, wateford, and hulls on the outside... I think hulls will shoot better tonight than he has recently. If the outside shot is falling, syracuse will have to honor the outside shot and free up zeller for a big second half.... INDIANA WINS and goes on to win it all IMO!

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by Capnick View Post
    In the end, i think indiana prevails. What i think is gonna hurt syracuse is their point guard Michael Carter Williams. He is a tremendous talent, but has a tendency to turn the ball over and is TERRIBLE at the free throw line... He will be great later in his career once he acquires more experience... Indiana has zeller inside, which could command a double team down low, which will free up guys like oladipo, wateford, and hulls on the outside... I think hulls will shoot better tonight than he has recently. If the outside shot is falling, syracuse will have to honor the outside shot and free up zeller for a big second half.... INDIANA WINS and goes on to win it all IMO!
    Why would anyone double team zeller with the awful way he is playing right now? Only a team that does not scout its opponents, which the Cuse has been known to do. No coach worth his weight would double zeller in this tourney.

Capnick
    Capnick's Avatar Become A Pro!

So, in other words, zeller is garbage now?

BoutDemCowboys
    BoutDemCowboys's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3124

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    Indiana matches up extremely well in this match up. They are lethal from 3 point land and can shoot right over that zone.

Zeller will shut down Southerland. and John Carter Williams is one of the worst D1 point guards ive witnessed play all season.

I never really knew how bad he was until he got schooled vs Louisville in the Big East title game.

20+ pts

You mad bro
    You mad bro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: -23

southerland is the second best player on the court tonight

THam12
    Money is the motivation!
    THam12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2280

I think Cuse has a real shot at winning this game. They have played really well the last 3 weeks and have had contributions from all kinds of guys.

THam12
    Money is the motivation!
    THam12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2280

hmmm... one of the worst D1 point guards... but is projected as a top 20 NBA draft pick. something does not add up my friend.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by Capnick View Post
    So, in other words, zeller is garbage now?
    Average.

PittsburghPlayer
    PittsburghPlayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10667

Quote Originally Posted by Easy-Rider 66 View Post
    If you believe the line should be 3, wouldn't you take the 2.5 points gift with the Orange.
    My take is that BigBoi was suggesting that the oddsmakers are trying to trick-fukk Syracuse backers into thinking that `Cuse will be golden with the points. I most likely will not start a thread for this game, but my pick is Indiana, and I am a fan of the Orange!
    Oh, and thank you all for your time and replies. Very cool of all of you.
    Last edited by PittsburghPlayer; 03-28-13 at 06:42 PM.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

'Cuse is going to need the zone to absolutely stifle IU or they stand little chance of competing/winning this IMO. IU has the shooters to bust the zone, so the zone has to be active on the wings and close out on shooters. I just don't think the Orange have enough offense to beat a talented offensive club. I think IU has to shoot in the 30s for Syracuse to compete.

I'll be interested to see if IU settles for outside shots or works the soft spots in the zone.

EaglesPhan36

Fantastic start for the Orange. Tempo/D is where they need it. so far.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Just as I suspected. Boeheim out coaches crean. It's going to take a Cuse big east final type meltdown for IU to have a chance in the second half.

EaglesPhan36

LoL. Right. One half does not a game make.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    LoL. Right. One half does not a game make.

How much more did you need to see of Marquette/Miami to know who the better team was at the half?

EaglesPhan36

You watch Louisville-Syracuse in the BE Final? Syracuse dominated ONE half. Got killed in the 2nd. I don't think Syracuse is the better team, but right now they are playing better and executing better. Best team doesn't always win obviously. If IU turns the ball over again and again, obviously they will not win ... just saying, I have rooted for this 'Cuse team for years and no matter the players, Boeheim normally allows teams to get back into games when his teams get big leads. He doesn't make great adjustments when the tide starts turning. Best case is IU just struggles over and over and it doesn't come down to Boeheim's coaching.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Syracuse has as good of chance of winning this thing as anyone the way they are playing right now. Except of Course if they met Louisville in the finals.

12 Last