Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

Why Is Marquette +5.5?

Was really surprised by this line. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Marquette won this game. Thought this line was going to be around -3.

Marquette is the tougher team, the more experienced team, and the better defensive team. Really like Marquette here getting the points.

Thoughts?

leetreaper
    leetreaper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2140

Marquette = bad

RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18710

Sorry for the uninsightful insight but Go Canes!

Speedy88

Quote Originally Posted by leetreaper View Post
    Marquette = bad
    I don't get all the hate Marquette gets. They just beat a very good Butler team.....in March! Miami-Florida almost lost to Illinois. If Larkin's step back three doesn't go in, Miami-Florida loses to a pretty average Illinois team.

Mozzie7
    Mozzie7's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy88 View Post
    Was really surprised by this line. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Marquette won this game. Thought this line was going to be around -3.

Marquette is the tougher team, the more experienced team, and the better defensive team. Really like Marquette here getting the points.

Thoughts?
    I don't know if I will bet this game but my initial lean was towards Miami. In my mind, Marquette doesn't have the horses to run w Miami. Larkin has been playing lights out over the last month, Johnson, Kadji, and Gamble will neutralize Gardner and Scott (ACC defensive POY) will shut down Vander Blue.

Marquette was lucky to get past Davidson and barely scraped by a good, not great, Butler team. Miami played tight against Illinois but has been really clicking of late. My view is Miami wins this by a comfortable margin.

leetreaper
    leetreaper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2140

No hate, they just bad...

Speedy88

Quote Originally Posted by Mozzie7 View Post
    I don't know if I will bet this game but my initial lean was towards Miami. In my mind, Marquette doesn't have the horses to run w Miami. Larkin has been playing lights out over the last month, Johnson, Kadji, and Gamble will neutralize Gardner and Scott (ACC defensive POY) will shut down Vander Blue.

Marquette was lucky to get past Davidson and barely scraped by a good, not great, Butler team. Miami played tight against Illinois but has been really clicking of late. My view is Miami wins this by a comfortable margin.
    But that is Marquette's style. They're a gritty team that finds ways to win. They aren't the type of team that will run you out of the building and score 75 points. I just think Marquette's tournament experience, and Miami's tournament inexperience will keep this game close. And I wouldn't ever say Butler is a bad team. Butler is a much better team than Illinois, not even close.

Miami Florida has top 5 talent of all the teams in the tournament, maybe even top 3. But this team doesn't play defense, and a lot of times they don't play their best. That was evident last night, because they almost lost to Illinois. It just seems like Miami doesn't bring their "A-Game" all the time.

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6892

I like Miami to win here

tatddy
    tatddy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 608

Marquette is going to get rolled.

Frisco
    Frisco's Avatar Become A Pro!

Think they're being undervalued b/c of their perceived lucky wins against Davidson and Butler. Those are 2 really good teams though. Much more impressive than Miami's first 2 games.

isotopes
    isotopes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

I love Miami but fat boy Reggie Johnson is a liability for Miami at this point in the tourney, I mean if you watch the Illinois game he was winded and playing behind the ball anytime that Miami missed a shot. He also can't dribble. Marquettes big men will eat him up.

I still like Miami though, wish fat boy would magically lose a few pounds so he could get up and down the floor.

Mozzie7
    Mozzie7's Avatar Become A Pro!

See that is where we differ, I think Miami has the jitters out and their talent will take over and honestly it isn't like Marquette is that much more experienced - they were bounced in this same round by Florida last year.

For the record I never said Butler was bad - I said they were good, not great. But to your point that butler is better than illinois -- butler lost by almost 20 to them earlier this year, so illinois can't be that much worse.

You asked for my thoughts and those are my 2 cents. I am a big ACC fan, but made some good money betting on Marquette in certain spots this year so I feel I can be impartial. I just feel like this isn't a spot where I am comfortable being on Marquette.

Tower
    Tower's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4571

It's -5.5 because the only way you beat Miami is with the three. Illinois proved this by hitting them early, and almost did it but they went cold late. and just look at Miami's recent losses. Duke, GT, Wake, shot a combine 26 for 53 from behind the arc. They are beatable but you have to be able to hit the three because Miami will leave you open. One of Marquette's weakness?? The long ball. They don't shoot enough of them and don't have the guy who you absolutely can't leave open. They aren't that type of team. They won't cover the spread.
    Last edited by Tower; 03-25-13 at 03:38 PM.

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3353

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy88 View Post
    But that is Marquette's style. They're a gritty team that finds ways to win. They aren't the type of team that will run you out of the building and score 75 points. I just think Marquette's tournament experience, and Miami's tournament inexperience will keep this game close. And I wouldn't ever say Butler is a bad team. Butler is a much better team than Illinois, not even close.

Miami Florida has top 5 talent of all the teams in the tournament, maybe even top 3. But this team doesn't play defense, and a lot of times they don't play their best. That was evident last night, because they almost lost to Illinois. It just seems like Miami doesn't bring their "A-Game" all the time.
    Have to disagree with that assessment. Mia D was stellar most of the year. Might have fallen a bit , but Scott is one of the best Defensive players in the land. 5.5 seems a little high, prefer Mia on the ML.

Speedy88

I just see Marquette as the tougher and more experienced team. Usually that prevails in these NCAA tournament games. Miami comes off very soft and finesse at times. And their inexperience shows. Barely beat Illinois, barely beat a weak UNC team in the ACC title game as well.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Canes and think they're a great team, I just see this game coming down to the wire. I actually have Miami moving on in my bracket. So I'll hope for a Canes win by 5 or less.

Frisco
    Frisco's Avatar Become A Pro!

If Miami did open at -3 the public would pound it up to -5 anyway. The number probably isn't off by much

coitus_maximus
    coitus_maximus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4080

Marquette is definitely the luckiest team ever. Davidson should of beat them. They get rolled

Speedy88

Perfect, was hoping 80% of SBR would be on Miami-Florida. Feel even better about Marquette now. Frisco the only person who isn't all over Miami.

spargament
    KHABIB
    spargament's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 367

Surprised it's not 7

qb1789
    qb1789's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 368

Marquette will win this game. They play the exact style that the U struggles against. They will lock down the perimeter which will cause them to go 5-30 from three and the golden eagles will grind out a win in the 60's. Watch and Learn.

boss_of_um
    boss_of_um's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14883

The jitters are gone. Miami got thru the first weekend and a physical game against Illinois is good preparation for another physical game with Marquette. I would have expected the line to be 3 so 5.5 seems high to me. At this point I would not pick Miami, or anybody else for that matter, to 'roll' somebody. I'd pound the under before the spread in this one. Marquette can't score. Miami has shooters and guys who drive to the basket. Reggie Johnson is the big liability (big guy turns it over way too much) but Gamble plays at crunch time and he moves much better.