Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

Need Advice On A Bracket Gm

I've filled out my bracket and feel pretty good about it. There is only one game that has me scratching my head on. It's the potential matchup of Michigan and VCU in round 2. I honestly think the winner of that game goes on to the Elite 8 and beats Kansas in the next round.

Michigan definitely has the guards to break the press, but there is something off with this team. Help me out here guys. Appreciate any advice.

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

agree winner advances to the elite 8,personally i like mich to beat vcu, like you said they have the guards to handle the press and it shows as they have the lowest turnover rate in the country, even tho mich d is less than stellar vcu really struggles to score at times when they not creating turnovers..really think mich will shine getting out of the physical ass big 10 where their interior play was a huge weakness (again something vcu really doesnt have the personnel to exploit)..throw in mich playing in their back yard and just think they gonna be too much for vcu..

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3317

Yeah Mich had some troubling losses late getting blown out at Mich St. and losing at Penn St. Having said that still think they are a better team than VCU. Would guess the line to be somewhere around Mich -4. Also more battle tested than VCU coming out of the Big Ten. Would play Mich, but it may be close.

Speedy88

I feel fairly confident that the winner of Mich/VCU will beat Kansas. Mich definitely has the players to beat VCU, and they definitely have plenty of guards to break the press. But I give the VCU does all the little intangibles that Michigan doesn't do, not to mention Shaka should school Beilein on the sidelines. Leaning Michigan though.

Also really torn on whether or not I should advance Marquette far. Most people on here are really down on them. Personally I think they cover the spread tomorrow against Davidson. Trying to decide who to take in the Marquette/Miami matchup. The only thing that scares me about Marquette is that if they do fall tomorrow, then I'd already be out of an Elite 8 team.

Other games torn on:

ND vs Iowa St (round 1)
    UNLV vs Cal (round 1)
    Ohio St vs ND/Iowa St (round 2) I'm just really down on Ohio St, I think they're crap. If they fall behind, they may not catch up.

CBASS
    BUCK FAMA
    CBASS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 815

I agree with 2daBank. He made some very good points.

Speedy88

Opinions on UNLV/Cal, ND/Iowa St, and the potential 2nd round matchup of ND/Iowa St vs Ohio St would be much appreciated.

I have two teams on my shit list this year. Michigan St and Ohio St. Just don't think either team is that good. Both are offensively challenged at times, and both are overrated in my opinion.

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy88 View Post
    I feel fairly confident that the winner of Mich/VCU will beat Kansas. Mich definitely has the players to beat VCU, and they definitely have plenty of guards to break the press. But I give the VCU does all the little intangibles that Michigan doesn't do, not to mention Shaka should school Beilein on the sidelines. Leaning Michigan though.

Also really torn on whether or not I should advance Marquette far. Most people on here are really down on them. Personally I think they cover the spread tomorrow against Davidson. Trying to decide who to take in the Marquette/Miami matchup. The only thing that scares me about Marquette is that if they do fall tomorrow, then I'd already be out of an Elite 8 team.

Other games torn on:

ND vs Iowa St (round 1)
    UNLV vs Cal (round 1)
    Ohio St vs ND/Iowa St (round 2) I'm just really down on Ohio St, I think they're crap. If they fall behind, they may not catch up.
    cant help ya there, im on the davidson bandwagon (lol) and i have canes going all the way cause really like their draw...not betting them but did take them in my bracket, betting wise i played the over 133...

im with you on being low on osu and isu/nd was a tough gm for me as well, i went isu to beat nd and osu but wouldnt be shocked if that backfired right off the jump, just hoping isu is knocking down shots (fingers crossed), def another gm i have no interest in betting cause i feel like im wrong, ha..

unlv/cal was simple, i dont think either gets past cuse so i took the 12 seed as pool im in rewards upsets so if i dont think the higher seed will get past the next round anyway i tend to go for the upset, another gm i have no interest in betting tho..

Speedy88

Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    cant help ya there, im on the davidson bandwagon (lol) and i have canes going all the way cause really like their draw...not betting them but did take them in my bracket, betting wise i played the over 133...

im with you on being low on osu and isu/nd was a tough gm for me as well, i went isu to beat nd and osu but wouldnt be shocked if that backfired right off the jump, just hoping isu is knocking down shots (fingers crossed), def another gm i have no interest in betting cause i feel like im wrong, ha..

unlv/cal was simple, i dont think either gets past cuse so i took the 12 seed as pool im in rewards upsets so if i dont think the higher seed will get past the next round anyway i tend to go for the upset, another gm i have no interest in betting tho..
    Completely agree with you on Cal/UNVL. Whoever wins that game will lose to Cuse, so I'm not to worried about picking the right side on that game. And I feel pretty confident that the winner of ND/Iowa St will beat Ohio St. The West region is completely up for grabs.

I love that Canes team. Talent wise, they are top 5 in the nation. But this team plays down to their competition far too much for me. I doubt they have a stinker in the Tourney, but I didn't like the way they finished the season. They really struggled to beat a pretty average UNC team in the ACC Championship game.

Ok last question for you banker. Florida/Michigan, who you taking?

2daBank

honestly i have 2 different nice payout pools im in and that was like the 1 gm i split..gators were bout the toughest team for me to decide what to do with,, they are clearly talented enough to get to the final 4 but fukk this team hasnt won a close gm all season so as good as i think they can be and as good of a coach that billy d is at some point they are gonna get in a close gm and how the fukk can we trust them to win that? i really had no answer, think fla better but worry that at any point from round 2 on there a chance they dont curb stomp a team then who knows if they survive? gl with that one bro, lol..
    Last edited by 2daBank; 03-21-13 at 05:04 AM.

Poison-Nut
    Poison-Nut's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

Speedy why so down on OSU? AS a Buckeye fan, I was just like everyone on here and think their offense was horrible. But at the end of the year, craft, Scott, and even Ross were all contributing to the offense. Matta has this team ready and will go far into the tourney. I am just afraid of the New Mexico matchup. Also they are playing in Dayton, which is a skip/jump away.

I look at it like this. When teams score 70 plus pts per game, can they do that the whole tourney. Mostly not. They usually have an off night and lose the game. This is were defense comes in. Even if the Buckeyes don't shoot well, they have the defense to slow the other team down and keep them in the game. I look at defensive minded teams (L-Ville, Wisky, OSU, VCU) theses teams play D.

Poison-Nut

My biggest concern on the bracket is the Kstate game. I have them bouncing out early (2nd round) Any thoughts?

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by Poison-Nut View Post
    My biggest concern on the bracket is the Kstate game. I have them bouncing out early (2nd round) Any thoughts?
    id bounce them in the 1st if they wernt playing in kansas..

2daBank

Speedy why so down on OSU? AS a Buckeye fan, I was just like everyone on here and think their offense was horrible. But at the end of the year, craft, Scott, and even Ross were all contributing to the offense. Matta has this team ready and will go far into the tourney. I am just afraid of the New Mexico matchup. Also they are playing in Dayton, which is a skip/jump away.

I look at it like this. When teams score 70 plus pts per game, can they do that the whole tourney. Mostly not. They usually have an off night and lose the game. This is were defense comes in. Even if the Buckeyes don't shoot well, they have the defense to slow the other team down and keep them in the game. I look at defensive minded teams (L-Ville, Wisky, OSU, VCU) theses teams play D.
    wouldnt worry bout Lobos, they not making it to that gm (not sure osu will either tho).. i like zona to bounce them both if osu gets there and zona doesnt lose to belmont (which entirely possible, lol).. i think osu crowning achievement will be winning big 10 tourney,,maybe im a big 10 hater i dunno, i do have mich going deep but they have nba level guards, and got indy going to elite 8 at least.. never sold on the bangers in the big 10 come tourney time (besides msu casue well that what izzo does) cause inevitably they will be in gms that dont get officiated like fb gms like in conf play and they will actually have to score..luckily for you as a buckeye fan ive been wrong plenty and surely will be wrong plenty more

Speedy88

id bounce them in the 1st if they wernt playing in kansas..
    Same. I'd have them losing to La Salle if the game weren't in their backyard. KSate is completely overrated. They should just rename the West Bracket the "Overrated" Bracket, because Gonzaga, Ohio St, and KState are all very overrated.

On a neutral court I think these teams could beat KState and Ohio St: Iowa St, Notre Dame, Wisconsin and Arizona.

2daBank

Same. I'd have them losing to La Salle if the game weren't in their backyard. KSate is completely overrated. They should just rename the West Bracket the "Overrated" Bracket, because Gonzaga, Ohio St, and KState are all very overrated.

On a neutral court I think these teams could beat KState and Ohio St: Iowa St, Notre Dame, Wisconsin and Arizona.
    i have zona in the final 4 in 1 bracket in other it either final 4 or elite 8 (forget if i stuck with my nuts to take in both)...god i hope they dont lose 2marro,, lol...

oh wiscy, i went from likng them to go far to bouncing them in the 1st to ole piss (guess i am a big 10 hater, ha)..

Poison-Nut

Are you guys taking Zona -4 tomorrow. Or no bet.

2daBank

so is NM,, the whole mwc is, fukkin teams never do shit in the tourney and they the best conf? my ass, we shall see... honestly i kinda like zags, i mean it was easy to put them in the elite 8 with this draw, who knows if they were in different region but think zags can play with bout anyone...

2daBank

Are you guys taking Zona -4 tomorrow. Or no bet.
    the fact them losing buries my brackets makes me want to lay off cause it be a real kick in the nuts to have my brackets destroyed and lose a bet but yea im betting them

Jrod124
    Update your status
    Jrod124's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 535

Ohio State is not overrated, they won the best conference's conference tournament and have won 9 of their last 10 games coming into the tournament. They also have had zero bad losses and beat the teams they supposed to. They have a legit star in Thomas and a solid PG. They play good defense and they are battle tested because they are in the Big Ten. Bucks also have good depth going about 8 deep on their roster. That region is weak, I will give u that. But Ohio State is the best team in the West region

Jrod124
    Update your status

so is NM,, the whole mwc is, fukkin teams never do shit in the tourney and they the best conf? my ass, we shall see... honestly i kinda like zags, i mean it was easy to put them in the elite 8 with this draw, who knows if they were in different region but think zags can play with bout anyone...
    Good Point, another reason to like O State in this region. I wouldn't be shocked if it was a rematch of the Big Ten championship in the Elite 8

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod124 View Post
    Ohio State is not overrated, they won the best conference's conference tournament and have won 9 of their last 10 games coming into the tournament. They also have had zero bad losses and beat the teams they supposed to. They have a legit star in Thomas and a solid PG. They play good defense and they are battle tested because they are in the Big Ten. Bucks also have good depth going about 8 deep on their roster. That region is weak, I will give u that. But Ohio State is the best team in the West region
    big 10 overrated as a whole,, osu was what a 4 seed maybe before they won the conf tourney by beating msu who isnt all that special and wiscy who cant shoot from the field or the line..

2daBank

Good Point, another reason to like O State in this region. I wouldn't be shocked if it was a rematch of the Big Ten championship in the Elite 8
    id be incredibly shocked and depressed if im forced to watch that shitfest again.. at least the under is a led pipe stone cold lock if that happens..

Jrod124
    Update your status

big 10 overrated as a whole,, osu was what a 4 seed maybe before they won the conf tourney by beating msu who isnt all that special and wiscy who cant shoot from the field or the line..
    Why is the Big Ten overrated as a whole? Didn't u say u had Michigan going to the Final Four? Wisky beat Michigan twice. What's wrong with Michigan State? Veteran team well coached. Another team with no bad losses, they handle the teams are supposed too. Wisconsin may not be able to shoot, but they play defense and can suck the life out of opposing teams. Gonzaga I don't believe has seen a defense like this yet. Would be interesting to see the matchup if it does happen. Just difficult to bet against a team like Ohio State when they are the hottest team in the conference. Gonzaga winning a weak conference to me isn't that impressive.

Jrod124
    Update your status

id be incredibly shocked and depressed if im forced to watch that shitfest again.. at least the under is a led pipe stone cold lock if that happens..
    Agreed it was boring, but I wouldn't be shocked if it happened. The region is up for grabs, maybe you are right and have to go Gonzaga. I have Gonzaga vs. Ohio State officially on my bracket, I will more than likely put the Bucks through.

I am also not a Big Ten homer or anything, just think it is the best conference. Actually a Duke guy

2daBank

Why is the Big Ten overrated as a whole? Didn't u say u had Michigan going to the Final Four? Wisky beat Michigan twice. What's wrong with Michigan State? Veteran team well coached. Another team with no bad losses, they handle the teams are supposed too. Wisconsin may not be able to shoot, but they play defense and can suck the life out of opposing teams. Gonzaga I don't believe has seen a defense like this yet. Would be interesting to see the matchup if it does happen. Just difficult to bet against a team like Ohio State when they are the hottest team in the conference. Gonzaga winning a weak conference to me isn't that impressive.
    yea styles make fights,,mich cant handle those bigs and physical inside play in big 10 , but guards rule the tourney in most cases and besides fact mich guards are really damn good they dont have many teams in front of them that play that grind it out physical style. just have a feeling mich the kind of tem that might shine out of the grind of big 10 play.. i dont love mich is in my final 4 in one bracket and fla in the other but i have a lack of respect for gtown and ku, if fla had one close gm all yr they would have been in both over mich...

i say big 10 overrated cause i dont think a lot of these teams will do much damage and are seriously over hyped by the big bad espn machine..

who exactly did these guys beat out of conf collectively?

did osu beat a top 100 team out of conf?

wiscy beat cal and that bout it (impressive)..

indy? gtown who cant score and unc when they were playing really bad..

msu? they did beat ku which nice but that it really, and while that good win im down on ku also..

am i missing something here? please do tell casue i dont see where they ran thru out of conf bad asses that makes me think they should get all this hype as being so great cause they all beat each other? and that another thing that rugby ass style they play all season beats each other up which prob doesnt help their cause..

2daBank

Agreed it was boring, but I wouldn't be shocked if it happened. The region is up for grabs, maybe you are right and have to go Gonzaga. I have Gonzaga vs. Ohio State officially on my bracket, I will more than likely put the Bucks through.

I am also not a Big Ten homer or anything, just think it is the best conference. Actually a Duke guy
    i actually have zona coming out of the west, beating zags in elite 8..wiscy going down in 1st to ole piss and osu either losing to isu or zona..

2daBank

seriously did any of the big 10 top teams even play a out of conf schedule not ranked in the 2 or 3 hundreds? well msu's was like 150 something i think..

sure zags play in a weak conf which really nothing they can do about but they at least played teams out of conf...

2daBank

acc teams not scared to play tough out of conf teams,,duke ran thru everyone..

2daBank

where you go jrod,, i put a lot of work into that was hoping you had something in response...