Frisco
    Frisco's Avatar Become A Pro!

Anyone else think the Zags line is too low?

-5 seems pretty low

Dilo
    Big bets win big money
    Dilo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 953

it makes me think st. mary's. but they are playing on a neutral site in las vegas

Frisco

Capped it at -7 myself but I understand why it would be lower w/ last years tourney loss to the Gaels. Think they roll tmrw

Dilo
    Big bets win big money

sounds like there could be some revenge music playing in the background. but is there any reason to think that gaels can't beat them again?

Frisco

Its definitely possible they could but more likely Zags win fairly comfortably. Line just jumped to 5.5 and I'd be shocked if it isn't at 6+ come morning. Gaels lackluster performance against USD is fresh in everyones head and they only won that game b/c the refs wanted this matchup. The conference needed this game to happen

Dilo
    Big bets win big money

if that's the case, how do we know the conf doesn't want another national showcase type of game? something that is a concern for bulldog backers is olynyk 3-10 lackluster performance vs loy mar.

Frisco

Quote Originally Posted by Dilo View Post
    if that's the case, how do we know the conf doesn't want another national showcase type of game? something that is a concern for bulldog backers is olynyk 3-10 lackluster performance vs loy mar.
    Anything is possible in these tourney games, just thought there was good value on them @ -5 (which is already moving)

Dilo
    Big bets win big money

i agree with you, and think the bulldogs are the right side. but i like you say, it is tourney time and anything can happen. these two squads are rivals and bulldogs beat them twice this year already. three consec times is tough, and that is why i ask if there are any other reasons why we should back down from zags.

werecats
    werecats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 250

Thought you guys would like to see the number comparisons: I personally think it is will be a tough fought game, that should stay close.

St Marys vs Gonzaga Overall

SMAR Offense Value (rank) Value (rank) GONZ Defense
    Points/Game 75.6 (#17) 59.8 (#30) Opp Points/Game
    Avg Score Margin +12.4 (#12) -17.4 (#3) Opp Avg Score Margin
    Assists/Game 14.6 (#50) 9.7 (#14) Opp Assists/Game
    Total Rebounds/Gm 37.1 (#68) 30.5 (#23) Opp Total Rebounds/Gm
    Assists/FGM 0.555 (#124) 0.465 (#26) Opp Assists/FGM
    Assists/Turnover 1.212 (#36) 0.709 (#25) Opp Assists/Turnover

Gonzaga vs St Marys Overall

GONZ Offense Value (rank) Value (rank) SMAR Defense
    Points/Game 77.2 (#11) 63.3 (#85) Opp Points/Game
    Avg Score Margin +17.4 (#3) -12.4 (#12) Opp Avg Score Margin
    Assists/Game 14.9 (#32) 10.4 (#33) Opp Assists/Game
    Total Rebounds/Gm 37.4 (#58) 28.5 (#2) Opp Total Rebounds/Gm
    Assists/FGM 0.545 (#150) 0.481 (#43) Opp Assists/FGM
    Assists/Turnover 1.327 (#19) 0.895 (#132) Opp Assists/Turnover

Serbone
    Serbone's Avatar Become A Pro!

Think.
    If anything, THE CONFERENCE will want Gonzaga to win big, get a # 1 seed in the NCAA, and possibly retain it's # 1 ranking in AP and USA Today. Keep them in the limelights. They do not want their #1 ranked team / # 1 seed to get beat by goddam St. Mary's.

Frisco

i agree with you, and think the bulldogs are the right side. but i like you say, it is tourney time and anything can happen. these two squads are rivals and bulldogs beat them twice this year already. three consec times is tough, and that is why i ask if there are any other reasons why we should back down from zags.
    Nah just thought there was value in the 5 and figured it would be moving up. Always like to beat the line

Dilo
    Big bets win big money

Quote Originally Posted by Serbone View Post
    Think.
    If anything, THE CONFERENCE will want Gonzaga to win big, get a # 1 seed in the NCAA, and possibly retain it's # 1 ranking in AP and USA Today. Keep them in the limelights. They do not want their #1 ranked team / # 1 seed to get beat by goddam St. Mary's.
    That actually brings up another thought, #1 teams have been rotated in and out all season. Big Ten, ACC, SEC have had teams ranked #1 nationally. And not to dismiss this zags teams, but the previous #1 teams were just as formidable if not better. I understand your concept, but the thing is I think that so does everyone else. The way the end of the season has unfolded, I wouldn't be surprised if the Gaels pull this out. Line moves are important to me, but I weigh other angles just the same.

Boddhissatva
    Boddhissatva's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1140

The line does seem low....and the Gaels looked poor against SD. I might just do a money line bet on the Zags.

Dilo
    Big bets win big money

Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    Nah just thought there was value in the 5 and figured it would be moving up. Always like to beat the line

We are the same because I always look to beat the line. But what interests me with this line is that its the same as the BYU line, makes me look at it a little different. I always try to be on the right side, but sometimes that's not the winning side, which was evident this weekend.

Rookie-Capper
    Rookie-Capper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3446

mon

covers.com/pageLoader/pageLoader.aspx?page=/data/ncb/teams/team2265.html -4

Frisco

We are the same because I always look to beat the line. But what interests me with this line is that its the same as the BYU line, makes me look at it a little different. I always try to be on the right side, but sometimes that's not the winning side, which was evident this weekend.
    Yea beating the line means nothing if you're wrong lol. Haven't locked in a play on this one but personally think the Zags take care of business. It's been nothing but dogs these last 2 days and we might be due for a favorite to cover. Kind of wouldn't be shocked to see majority of $$ on Zags and some RLM to make bettors 2nd guess themselves. We'll see tho

bubblebuttluv
    Derek Jeter, the best shortstop ever.
    bubblebuttluv's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1897

How do you come up with your line for a game? They way I cap a game is I compare a number of different stats, and factoring in fatigue and home field/court, I come up with who I think will win straight up. But, I can't effectively come up with my own line for a game. Any advice on a method you use?

bubblebuttluv
    Derek Jeter, the best shortstop ever.
    bubblebuttluv's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1897

That was for Frisco, or anyone else.

Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

Definitely a St Mary's line.

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19428

Gonzaga is the play

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy88 View Post
    Definitely a St Mary's line.
    It's a sharp line.

Almost all numbers suggest this a 5.5 game.
    Look at the Sagarin numbers, the Dunkel numbers, RPI's are very close, the SoS's are very close, all numbers are close. Gonzaga has the edge on paper in most categories, but nowhere close to a major edge.

The line is pretty much spot on, if one thinks Gonzaga blows out St. Mary's, then load up on the Zags, I don't want any part of this game however.

Game could go like this. Gonzaga up 5 late, St. Mary's goes into foul mode and loses by 9.
    Or
    St. Mary's could be down by 1, with the ball, and 00:32 left on the clock, and wins on a buzzer beater (or loses at the buzzer, but covers the number)

Pass, know this though, both teams can fill it up, over 137.5 might be the better option.

Frisco

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    It's a sharp line.

Almost all numbers suggest this a 5.5 game.
    Look at the Sagarin numbers, the Dunkel numbers, RPI's are very close, the SoS's are very close, all numbers are close. Gonzaga has the edge on paper in most categories, but nowhere close to a major edge.

The line is pretty much spot on, if one thinks Gonzaga blows out St. Mary's, then load up on the Zags, I don't want any part of this game however.

Game could go like this. Gonzaga up 5 late, St. Mary's goes into foul mode and loses by 9.
    Or
    St. Mary's could be down by 1, with the ball, and 00:32 left on the clock, and wins on a buzzer beater (or loses at the buzzer, but covers the number)

Pass, know this though, both teams can fill it up, over 137.5 might be the better option.
    Think your first scenario is the most likely. 4.5 point teaser of both sides probably cashes in this game

jinxpro13
    jinxpro13's Avatar Become A Pro!

if vegas wanted 50/50 action for this game the line would have opened at 6.5 7 imo..
    #1 team in the country favored only by 5.5 over an unranked team? I know the gaels beat them last year, but this line is fishy.
    my guess 85% + of the bets will be on gonzaga.
    plus the game is in vegas.. has any public fav covered there yet this year?
    gonzaga's in the big dance no matter what .. st mary's needs this
    something's tellin me to take the gaels.
    Last edited by jinxpro13; 03-11-13 at 09:26 AM.

HOT WINGS
    HOT WINGS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3651

Thinking the Gaels win this game, but still going to think on it some more first.

Frisco

Quote Originally Posted by jinxpro13 View Post
    if vegas wanted 50/50 action for this game the line would have opened at 6.5 7 imo..
    #1 team in the country favored only by 5.5 over an unranked team? I know the gaels beat them last year, but this line is fishy.
    my guess 85% + of the bets will be on gonzaga.
    plus the game is in vegas.. has any public fav covered there yet this year?
    gonzaga's in the big dance no matter what .. st mary's needs this
    something's tellin me to take the gaels.
    Yea despite thinking its too low I just can't lock in a bet, doesn't feel right. Probably just going to live bet this one looking for something juicy

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1800

Quote Originally Posted by Serbone View Post
    Think.
    Or they could want TWO teams in the tournament.....
    Points Awarded:

jinxpro13 gave k13 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

SmackdownV
    SmackdownV's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

Gonzaga/St. Marys does this every year.

The WCC want's two teams in the tourney so the +6 tonight is a gift.

Gonzaga is in no matter what.

Blow your wad on St. Marys +6.

Can't lose.

Frisco

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    Or they could want TWO teams in the tournament.....
    St. Mary's is most likely already locked in. A win for the Gaels would help make their pathetic conference look more competitive tho

jinxpro13

St. Mary's is most likely already locked in. A win for the Gaels would help make their pathetic conference look more competitive tho
    st mary's is very far from locked in.

Frisco

Quote Originally Posted by jinxpro13 View Post
    st mary's is very far from locked in.
    I don't think they should be but from what I've been hearing it sounds like they are. Think they still get in w/ a close loss tonight

jinxpro13

I don't think they should be but from what I've been hearing it sounds like they are. Think they still get in w/ a close loss tonight
    definitely not a sure thing. they've had a couple bad losses to sub 100 rpi teams and their scheudle was soft. they are definitely on the bubble imo. we'll see what happens tonight.

Bdolan33
    Bdolan33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2224

In their last matchup, Gonzaga won by---wait for it--- 5. Duh.

Frisco

Quote Originally Posted by Bdolan33 View Post
    In their last matchup, Gonzaga won by---wait for it--- 5. Duh.
    Hey bozo, you sure about that?

jamt31
    jamt31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 120

Why even bet the line, Zags should win, just bet the ML.

Frisco

Quote Originally Posted by jamt31 View Post
    Why even bet the line, Zags should win, just bet the ML.
    Thinking I'll do this live. St. Mary's should be in it for a while and might be able to catch Zags at around even $$ at some point.

12 Last