Serbone
    Serbone's Avatar Become A Pro!

Slu - 3 big

You want to jump on VCU plus the points.
    BUT SLU is on a roll.
    The primo players that Rick Majerus recruited are all juniors and seniors, are all in the rotation.
    Interim Coach Crews is a true veteran, he had a bumpy start but now the players have "bought in" and they are on big 7 game winning streak, pounding the spread as they go each game. They are using all of Majerus's principals on "O" and "D" and executing.
    Crews is an outstanding strategist and game coach... (before he passed) Majerus often called him a "guru"... now the kids have jelled under him.
    SLU rotates 9-10 players including 5 "bigs" and wear you down with fierce, intense defense. Their forte.
    AND the VCU press should not be a big problem... SLU has 3 top notch guards (Mitchell, McCaull, Jett) that can handle the ball and some 3's and even 4's that can help with the press (Barnett, Evans, Ellis).
    SLU plays well at Chaifetz... a sellout crowd... this is SLU's game of the year... it is not VCU's game of the year.
    Blowout, SLU - 3, by 17.

numismatist
    Le roi est mort, vive le roi...
    numismatist's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1369

Pretty ballsy to call a blowout in this game, probably the biggest of the season for both teams. I lean St Louis too but I really can't see a blowout. You mentioned all the good things about the Billikens but VCU is no slouch either, St. Louis might have some troubles with their press and I think VCU is going to try to up the tempo and get some turnovers. Good luck to you!

Kellmanator
    Kellmanator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 650

Serbone, are you a fan of SLU or is this your un-biased opinion?

hougigo
    hougigo's Avatar Become A Pro!

IMO, a game I wouldn't play.
    VCU has struggled on the road and SLU is a tough team

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

should be a hell of a gm, i think both teams do some things offensively that will give the other problems and both protect the rock pretty well which will be interesting as both defenses force a lot of turnovers typically...ellis and loe present some challenges for a undersized vcu squad but at same time vcu quickness should allow them to get some good looks from behind the arc, not sure i wanna lay even this small number although i certainly dont disagree as think this has potential to be a good one, id prob look into slu 1st half if i wanted to play a side but think over 134 is only thing im playing in this one....gl serbone

Serbone

Quote Originally Posted by numismatist View Post
    Pretty ballsy to call a blowout in this game, probably the biggest of the season for both teams. I lean St Louis too but I really can't see a blowout. You mentioned all the good things about the Billikens but VCU is no slouch either, St. Louis might have some troubles with their press and I think VCU is going to try to up the tempo and get some turnovers. Good luck to you!
    Yes, I am aware VCU will press... and try to get the tempo at a fast pace. I menitoned that in my write up. But SLU is a veteran squad. They are ready.

Mitchell, Jett, and McCaul are excellent, veteran guards, strong ball handlers, all point guards that can also play the #2 as well. And their passes to good hands #3 types like Evans, Barnett and Ellis to break the press will get them out of any trouble if it happens. SLU is 10-deep and will weather the storm, the press, and actually wear down VCU. VCU will be frustrated that their press does not work, disrupt their game plan and psyche.

And again, SLU rotates 5 bigs, none are outstanding, but they find the weakness... Loe 6'11", Evans 6'5" (long-slasher), Ellis 6'8", Glaze 6'6" (muscle), Remekun 6'8" all look for the seams in the "D". 6'11" Manning might see some time, it depends on the matchups. Loe and Ellis are European style (NZ and Australia), hit the 3's, but when there is opportunity, they post up and make 'em pay in the paint. When it is there, they exploit it, and I think VCU is vulnerable to SLU's wave of bigs.

A 2nd half bet on SLU is another option I will probably elect.

I have SLU - 3 big but will get down some lighter wagers with larger spreads with "plus juice" if offered later. I would take SLU - 8 for a good plus juice opportunity, maybe a little on them - 10. It depends.

To boot, though it is for first place (at this time) in the A-10, IMO it is a bigger game for SLU than VCU. They have more to prove and have a chip on their shoulder. VCU has played some bigger games, not too impressed with SLU, is more certain of their fate, even looking to the NCAA's, etc. NOT going to roll over... don't get me wrong. But HUGE game for SLU, several key seniors and juniors want to fulfill the Majerus legacy, do not want to let the opportunity pass. They do not want to lose then go on the road at Butler Friday and make that a MUST game.

(I have done well going with and against, following SLU, Illinois, and Missouri. Illinois is on a run, too, Griffy is their key player and he suddenly has confidence, hitting his shots, aggressive, they are on an NCAA Tourney run. I have been riding them last 3 after Indiana; they played well, it was not just an Indy letdown. MU had a drought when the Haith investigation re-opened, the kids faltered, but only for 4-5 games, now they have their heads on straight again. Kinda. I lean to MU + 5 tonight but probably will not wager. I will probably be on Illinois again next game, TBD).
    Last edited by Serbone; 02-19-13 at 12:25 PM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: numismatist

EASports
    EASports's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

These are two tourny teams that will be bet by me unitl they are Out of it.

SLU for many reasons tonight.

donnydoucher
    donnydoucher's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1590

I couldn't agree more. SLU is the better team and this spread should be -5 or -6. SLU wins by 8 or more

lesterdymond
    lesterdymond's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 223

Great work Serbone!

Best of luck to ya heading into March Madness. Hope to see ya on the forum a little more.

Serbone

Quote Originally Posted by lesterdymond View Post
    Great work Serbone!

Best of luck to ya heading into March Madness. Hope to see ya on the forum a little more.
    Thanks.
    Posters on this forum mostly just make picks, no rationale, stats, trends, injuries, "O", "D", matchups, motivation, coaching, SOS, conference, nothing!
    I was ON this game and wrote it up like someone who has a game in his sights should. I do not understand why people follow some posters who just make some picks. Or why posters just pick a game and then tell everyone it is a LOCK.
    Easy to say "State - 6".
    Points Awarded:

Hangoverblack gave Serbone 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

mistermatt891
    mistermatt891's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 397

shoulda followed this

Serbone

A VCU guy threw up an unthenthusiastic-well past the NBA line-prayer "3" and hit it with 1.8 secs to go or I would have hit the 17 on the button.

The key is: WHEN POSTERS ARE ON A GAME, please write it up. Explain. What I wrote was not just basic stuff. I was all over it; coulda wrote more, but even I say what is the point with this crew?

I laugh, even when some good, established posters just post: Ohio State - 5. No writeup. So WHY should I bet on Ohio State (or whoever)? Ridiculous.

tar_baby
    tar_baby's Avatar Become A Pro!

nice pick

Serbone

Quote Originally Posted by lesterdymond View Post
    Great work Serbone!

Like the SLU game, where it was HUGE for SLU and not as important for ranked VCU on the road, I am looking at motivation games, revenge games, big games, bounceback games and letdown games now... need to win games, teams coming off big wins, ranked teams on the road, looking ahead, teams that need to win to get into the tourney vs teams that already have it made, etc.

This is a good time of the year for that. Took Missouri for a small bet last night... I mentioned them in the post, but was not sure.... Missouri was undefeated at home, getting 4 1/2, it was Missouri's game of the year that they NEEDED, a 5th ranked Florida laying points, wanted to win but did not need it... All sorts of motivational opportunities this time of the year.

(plus, with SLU, they had jelled, 7-8 sr's and jr's in a 9 man rotation, recruited and developled by Majerus now under the interim but veteran coach Crews... 5 bigs to pound VCU up front + 3 excllent guards against the press... after a bit of a slow start, now an 8 game winning streak... it was a perfect setup... not many like that... SLU could let down but will be -1 or E at Butler on Friday... Butler has been overrated all year... but a revenge game for Butler... but might be a small play on SLU, they just plain have superior talent/depth and Majerus's system and "D". TBD.)
    Last edited by Serbone; 02-20-13 at 02:54 PM.
    Points Awarded:

lesterdymond gave Serbone 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

EASports
    EASports's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Yep, very EZ